Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

to put an album together? Think about it. Its been 3 years since VHIII and with a band like this, I doubt they have been just sitting around. (Even with the health issues.) There must be a huge list of stuff either done, written, half done, etc,etc... How long would it really take to slap a singer in there and put down some music? Gary wasn't there long at all before VH3.

I really have no idea how this stuff works but I gotta believe it can be done within a 3 month time frame if they wanted to and that's an exciting thought. What do you guys think?

[ July 02, 2001 at 10:15 AM: Message edited by: TD Wolfdog ]
    "The reason most critics prefer Elvis Costello to Van Halen is......most of the critics look like Elvis Costello." DLR

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It was well over a year from the time Gary joined the band until 3 was expelled from 5150. Even if they have things roughly put together, any new singer is going to want to write with the band. 3 months is pretty quick for a band that has grown lazy. They don't pay for studio time, and have no real motivation to quickly get something out the door.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VH
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The first set of albums with dave was done very quick.
    VH poped out an album every year !
    After sammy came in and 5150 was build they get lazy in doing new VH stuff.
    Ed was involved in the production and engeneering, maybe even in the mixing prozess.
    And in that job he isnīt that good
    as we can see (VHIII /Live CD).
    So 3 month will be normal but not for VH !!!
    Itīs more like a Tom Scholz/Boston timeframe.
    [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<begin rant>

My thoughts on this are that they have been quiet for what? like 4 years? They already had another album done with Gary, but tanked it. I find it hard to believe that the music itself was that bad...So, if they even had 10 songs that they could re do the lyrics on off that album, and sounds like they have been writing a lot more, if they had 30 songs just sitting waiting to put vocals on and rework, we could be in store for a double album! I do not believe this to be too farfetched...It could take maybe 4 or 5 months to write lyrics and work and rework details in music to accomidate, but it is fathomable...You don't think Roth has a shit load of "Rothisms" never before seen? I betcha he has a ton of shit just waiting to be used! Ok, maybe I have my "Dave Goggles" on, but god damnit I want a reunion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They would rule the world! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

</end rant>
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Eddie has become the modern day Tom Scholz.

From what I can gather, Dave and Mike are ready to rock. Alex is unknown, and Eddie is still recovering.

We will be lucky if something/anything happens next year.

That my fellow Van Halen fans is unfortunate !

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    It was well over a year from the time Gary joined the band until 3 was expelled from 5150. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was an interview in Guitar for the Practicing Musician in January 1997 in which the interviewer heard AND described bits about the songs. Judging by what he said, and the descriptions (brief as they were), VH3 was pretty much near completion over a YEAR before it was released. If you factor in the time between the interview and the publication, it looks like close to 18 months.

There were MANY holdups regarding the cd's release, many of which were caused by WB. (hmmm...maybe they were waiting for some more VH-styled stuff before they would give in? I guess they waited a long time for nothing [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) There were playlist problems, song replacement, mastering struggles between Ed and the pressing plant, and who knows what else.

At the time, VH was working fairly quickly from what I could tell, but things got backed up. VH3 was originally supposed to be out in spring of '97!

I have no idea if these types of things have been/are/will be a factor for the next (?) release, but I don't think the band is nearly as lethargic as they appear. Whether we see any music from them any time soon is certainly debatable, as is the meaning of the word 'soon'.

And for Ed to become the next Tom Scholz, he'd have to grow about 9 inches, score a master's from MIT, invent a ground-breaking guitar device, practice his basketball skills, become active in animal rights organizations, AND write a new album with 3 songs based on the same theme, taking 8 years to complete. Well, at least he seems to be on track for the 8 year part, but I don't know about the other things. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:

There was an interview in Guitar for the Practicing Musician in January 1997 in which the interviewer heard AND described bits about the songs. Judging by what he said, and the descriptions (brief as they were), VH3 was pretty much near completion over a YEAR before it was released.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can believe it being nearly done about a year before release. According to VHND, the last of the major recording was done at the very end of May 1997. One of the big delays for the album was halting the process, and removing TWILY for Josephina.

Your article makes me extremely curious to know when the writing for that album actually began. That was in the Jan 1997 issue, but when did you actually get it? Most of the monthly magazines I receive show up well in advance of the date on the cover. I wonder when the interview was actually conducted?

The first rumors putting Gary with VH came about in August of 1996. If they had a good portion of the songs for 3 demoed or written in time for Gary to comment on them in an interview that most likely took place in Oct/Nov 96, then the Van Halens certainly were lying to us all. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.06.13 @ 08:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can actually picture Ed not doing much musically for the past year.I'm sure that they scrapped whatever they did with Gary.Its no surprise considering that Def Leppard had Hysteria completed and they scrapped the album cause they didn't like it and did it all over again.That was like a 4 year delay or something.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still hoping things will get done by the end of the year if Eddie's health doesn't remain an issue. He's playing it careful and spending time with his family this summer before he hooks up with Roth this fall. I really think his health is the major hold up. I would have to agree though when Sammy joined, VH caught a case of the lazy's. 3 studio cd's in the 1990's? WTF? I still can't figure out FUCK(1991) to Balance(1995). That's a long time. In a ten year period for a veteran band , there's no excuse to have no less than 4 studio cd's. On top of that, the band should still release a Best Of and live collection in that time period as well. Hell, throw in a mini ep as too. They sold us short by one. I hate to say it but Aeroshit and Kiss are older and they work alot harder for their fans. I believe they have families too so that's no excuse.
    America's Team...The Green Bay Packers!<br />12 Championship Titles For The Packers And Counting...<br />"Depends What We Do". EVH 2001<br />VH R.I.P. 1978-1996

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your article makes me extremely curious to know when the writing for that album actually began. That was in the Jan 1997 issue, but when did you actually get it? Most of the monthly magazines I receive show up well in advance of the date on the cover. I wonder when the interview was actually conducted?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was a subscriber at the time, and I generally received issues 6 weeks prior to the date on the cover. So that puts us back to around mid-November when I GOT the magazine. So factor in whatever time frame it takes to go from interview to copy to printing on top of that, and that pushes the actual writing back quite a bit. The author comments that the music he was listening to is what the band had been working on for the 'past few months', and Gary had already put vocals to the songs he heard.

Here are some snippets from the magazine:

...The new Van Halen album goes from a hard rock piece to a funk number to a tune that features Eddie playing Dobro...

...Another song comes over the frighteningly loud stereo speakers, this time only after much prompting and goading. Eddie warns that it is 'eclectic', but it's more than that. Primarily a solo piano piece, it has a major twist: Ed is singing lead....

...he cranks up a passage that features a 6-string bass solo-which he is obviously proud of-and says that the rest of the record was done with his new Wolfgang guitars...

So he mentioned 5 songs at THAT point, which could quite conceivably had been written in early fall '96, which is about the same time as the open letters from Dave and the band regarding the MTV fiasco. And it was about 16 months from the time I READ it to the time I actually HEARD the cd.

I had read in another magazine about Ed going to the pressing plant for test copies and not liking what he heard. I don't know WHEN he did this, but I am wondering if the addition of Josephina and removal of TWILY (which, in the bootleg version we all have, must have been ad rough demo, coz it was NOT studio releaser quality) was simply done as a stall tactic while he tried to find some other plant to press them or something. He complained about the impossibilities of fighting a 'conglomerate', and I do believe he lost out in the end. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

He specified that the equipment they used at the plant was NOT up to the task of capturing the entire sound of the mastered disc, which leads me to one thought: is it possible that VH actually recorded in 20 or 24 bit digital sound, only to find that the pressing plant only worked with 16? If so, that would mean a LOT of sonic information was lost, and could account for the horrible sound quality. I had read ANOTHER interview where he had played a CASSETTE copy direct from their masters, and they both agreed that the friggin cassette sounded WAY better than the final cd. If a cassette sounded notably better than a finished cd, SOMETHING had to have gone very wrong. But to spend over a year fighting it?

[ July 02, 2001 at 09:51 PM: Message edited by: AbeVanHalen ]

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    So he mentioned 5 songs at THAT point, which could quite conceivably had been written in early fall '97, which is about one year after the open letters from Dave and the band regarding the MTV fiasco.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean early fall of '96, don't you? That would most likely mean that the band had started working with Gary prior to the MTV appearence, and certainly before Dave's letter.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

maybe that is why i'm the
    only one here who doesn't
    hear anything wrong with the production on 3. how many here have the cassette version?

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've always wanted to hear the cassette version after reading Eddie's troubles with the CD version, but never wanted to plunk down another $8 on 3.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You mean early fall of '96, don't you? That would most likely mean that the band had started working with Gary prior to the MTV appearence, and certainly before Dave's letter.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOPS...I'll go fix that! Yeah, fall '96...bad typo, especially since it's a numerical error coming from the calculator [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always wanted to hear the cassette version after reading Eddie's troubles with the CD version, but never wanted to plunk down another $8 on 3.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cassette mentioned was NOT a production cassette; it was a cassette copy from the studio's pre-pressing master. I don't know if the commercially available cassette is from a different source than the cd, but I doubt it would be.

Plus, go to any used record store-you can find scads of copies of VH3 for a couple bucks. I haven't heard it either, so I don't know if it's any better than the cd.