Favorite VH Album

Everything but III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.18.15 @ 02:43 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Default "Tattoo Fan Video" Copyright Problems

As of the time of this posting, the video link below is unavailable to view worldwide because of an accused third-party copyright infringement.

In fact, I - Michael Wood, the creator of the Fan Video - am the only one who can view it on YouTube, but only so long as I am logged in to my account when I do so. No one else is allowed to view the video on YouTube. And yet, many other videos are still allowed to play on YouTube that have the exact same song playing on them. (I am fairly sure that the music is the issue - not the video images - as the claim says that "UMG" is the owner of the "content" I'm displaying - "UMG" being "Universal Music Group".)

As a result of this YouTube ban, I have uploaded the video to Vimeo.com (), where a similar copyright infringement claim came against the video, but instead of just outright blocking the video, Vimeo sent a claim to me via email asking me to pull the video within 48 hours or they would do it themselves and possibly close my account, etc. (A much more reasonable approach, I thought.)

I wrote an email response begging them to let it stay up and, after a quick review, they decided it was a 'remix' video and, therefore, was not an infringement of copyright... somehow. I believe it may be because it fell under the category of "Fair Use" and was therefore not in violation of copyrights.

Yet, the YouTube video remains unavailable. YouTube seems to be much more stringent about such cases, as this page seems to illustrate.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about copyright law or how my video might be argued as "parody" or a 'remix' or in any other way can bypass the copyright laws that are keeping people from being able to view my fan video on YouTube. I just want to get some opinions and maybe some advice before actually filing a dispute claim with YouTube. Any ideas?

Thank you!

(P.S. This is a fairly apt discussion to have on the day that many major websites are "blacked out" in protest of the SOPA/PROTECT IP congressional bills. To educate yourself further about these controversial bills, please visit https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/ - or just about any major website out there - and sign a petition to keep these bills from taking over the Internet.)

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,345 Times in 3,188 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Unless you wanna hear from the frankenlawyers I'd let it go.

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Fuddman5150 on this one. But hey, it's "fair use" if you want to make another video remix for another new VH song, so add a few seconds of silence to the soundtrack and mirror image the video so their copyrightbots can't recognize it.

Favorite VH Album

Everything but III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.18.15 @ 02:43 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. View Post
    I agree with Fuddman5150 on this one. But hey, it's "fair use" if you want to make another video remix for another new VH song, so add a few seconds of silence to the soundtrack and mirror image the video so their copyrightbots can't recognize it.
    I don't think adding silence to the soundtrack will work. Do you have an iPhone? Have you seen this Shazam app? It recognizes a song just by listening to it, and it's damn good! I've used it in crowded, noisy bars and restaurants,,, even when the music was at a low volume, and it still works! I bet whatever software YouTube uses is even better! And like I said, I don't think the visual images were a problem, as Universal Music Group only owns rights to music.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MWood919 View Post
    As of the time of this posting, the video link below is unavailable to view worldwide because of an accused third-party copyright infringement.

In fact, I - Michael Wood, the creator of the Fan Video - am the only one who can view it on YouTube, but only so long as I am logged in to my account when I do so. No one else is allowed to view the video on YouTube. And yet, many other videos are still allowed to play on YouTube that have the exact same song playing on them. (I am fairly sure that the music is the issue - not the video images - as the claim says that "UMG" is the owner of the "content" I'm displaying - "UMG" being "Universal Music Group".)

As a result of this YouTube ban, I have uploaded the video to Vimeo.com (), where a similar copyright infringement claim came against the video, but instead of just outright blocking the video, Vimeo sent a claim to me via email asking me to pull the video within 48 hours or they would do it themselves and possibly close my account, etc. (A much more reasonable approach, I thought.)

I wrote an email response begging them to let it stay up and, after a quick review, they decided it was a 'remix' video and, therefore, was not an infringement of copyright... somehow. I believe it may be because it fell under the category of "Fair Use" and was therefore not in violation of copyrights.

Yet, the YouTube video remains unavailable. YouTube seems to be much more stringent about such cases, as this page seems to illustrate.

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about copyright law or how my video might be argued as "parody" or a 'remix' or in any other way can bypass the copyright laws that are keeping people from being able to view my fan video on YouTube. I just want to get some opinions and maybe some advice before actually filing a dispute claim with YouTube. Any ideas?

Thank you!

(P.S. This is a fairly apt discussion to have on the day that many major websites are "blacked out" in protest of the SOPA/PROTECT IP congressional bills. To educate yourself further about these controversial bills, please visit https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/ - or just about any major website out there - and sign a petition to keep these bills from taking over the Internet.)

Dude. You just went on and on earlier about how you don't really care about what people think of your video regardless if their opinions are negative or even positive. So what's with the concern if the video is seen by millions or just by those of us here?

You essentially used the OFFICIAL Van Halen video as a template and you spiced it up with some added footage. It has the original OFFICIAL shots from the video plus the OFFICIAL single.

Of course there's going to be copyright issues. I'd let it go, in regards to YT.

And like Lode said earlier, first and foremost I'd tone down the whole attitude of, "Van Halen made a shit video. I made it better."

That's not getting you anywhere.

Just my $0.02
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

Why is this a new thread?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Because 15 minutes of fame isn't enough for some people...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

I actually meant to close this. I think one thread is sufficient for all discussion relating to this video. And I don't get what the big deal is anyway. Did you do the video to get famous or something? Send it to Van Halen if you did, and make sure you tell them how much theirs sucks and how much better you are, because I'm sure that will be a great way to win them over with that wonderful humility. And yes you are violating copyrights, stop complaining about musicians FINALLY enforcing their rights to their music. The internet has allowed people to steal music for years, and it's pathetic. As a musician, I am happy they're cracking down.

My god man, it's like you think you're the first person who re-worked a video for a song, or created one from scratch. There's like 10 billion of them up on YouTube...but yes they're cracking down on copyright violations now. It's not your song, and not your images.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!