Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default 12 Female High School Students Develop Mysterious Tourette-Like Illness

( hpv vaccine?? )

Before last October, 17-year-old Thera Sanchez was a healthy cheerleader at LeRoy Junior-Senior High School in New York. But when she woke up from a nap on Oct. 7, she was beset by uncontrollable Tourette-like tics, that she continues to have today.

MSNBC reported that Sanchez is not alone -- 12 girls at the high school experienced an onset of these same symptoms, which include outbursts, shaking and tics.

"I used to cheer every day ... I used to go to two art classes every day," Sanchez told NBC. "Now I'm not in school."

New York health officials said that they investigated the school, but did not find anything that could cause this strange illness in the students, Fox News reported.

"The investigation has not revealed environmental or infectious causes as the origin of the students' illness," Jeffrey Hammond, spokesman for the New York State Department of Health, told Fox News.

Sanchez and her friend, Katie Krautwurst, went on the TODAY show to talk to Ann Curry about the strange onset of symptoms, and the frustration they feel about not finding a cause for the bizarre illness.

"I'm very angry, I'm very frustrated, no one's giving answers," Sanchez told Curry on the TODAY Show. Sanchez said she was told that her condition is caused by extreme stress.

What exactly it is that Sanchez and the other girls at her school have remains a mystery, but the symptoms are similar to Tourette Syndrome. Tourette is characterized by tics, which include things like eye-blinking, head-jerking, eye-darting, shoulder-shrugging and yelling or throat-clearing -- all of it uncontrolled, according to the Mayo Clinic.

According to the Mayo Clinic, Tourette symptoms typically show between the ages of 7 and 10, and the condition is more common in men than in women. The cause isn't known, but genetics and brain abnormalities may influence risk.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/151...w-This-Morning
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

saw this and first thing I thought of was a hysteria type thing.....happens all the time...not unlike how you start to itch when someone starts talking about a head lice epidemic

one girl gets something and it snowballs

I have heard that infections such as strep can cause a sudden onset of neurological symptoms....but I have to think that a mass hysteria is more at work here

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    saw this and first thing I thought of was a hysteria type thing.....happens all the time...not unlike how you start to itch when someone starts talking about a head lice epidemic

I have heard that infections such as strep can cause a sudden onset of neurological symptoms....but I have to think that a mass hysteria is more at work here
    Over three months later?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

They were probably all at the same party and all hit from the same bong filled with river water......
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Please stay away from the brown acid!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Sounds like something out of The Crucible.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Or that rather disturbing film, "Picnic at Hanging Rock". Gives me the creeps whenever I see it.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Over three months later?
    one of the girls interviewed on the Today show seemed perfectly fine while the other had more tics than Crispin Glover

but when they showed a video of her at home, she seemed ok

not saying she is faking it, just that stress and over excitement could cause the the tics to become much more pronounced....but didn't seem to have any effect on the other one

and I could see effects like this lingering......look how long someone can harbor an irrational phobia which gives the sufferer true physical feelings of panic , fear and anxiety...but there is no physical cause for the phobia

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

Both of my brothers have Tourette Syndrome, and yes, stress makes a huge difference in the amount of tics they experience.

I have to agree though, I think this a hysteria thing. Tourette, from what they know about it, (which isn't a lot, anyway) is genetic. So I have a hard time believing some outside influence could start something like this.

Could be some other thing with Tourette-like symptoms, though. Maybe it's a neuromuscular thing or something.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

Let me get this straight; you're saying just talking about it or thinking about it can cause Tourette's?

I hope you don't mind me saying so, but your theory is cunt-cunt-fuck-cock-fuck!

On Fire
    Last Online

10.06.17 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post
    Let me get this straight; you're saying just talking about it or thinking about it can cause Tourette's?

I hope you don't mind me saying so, but your theory is cunt-cunt-fuck-cock-fuck!
    Lol. That was funny.
    Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/151...yssey=obinsite

BUFFALO, NY -- A mysterious illness affecting a dozen teenage girls at the same local school may now be solved. But at least one parent doesn't believe the diagnosis.

Dr. Jennifer McVige at Dent Neurology is treating 11 of the 12 girls from LeRoy High School and as of Wednesday she had permission from a handful of the girls and their parents to talk about their diagnosis. It's called Conversion Disorder, which is a disorder in which physical or stressful events are manifested in a physical form. The stressor that triggers it, Dr. McVige says, can be different for everyone. "When someone is in high school or a teenager is in high school there are stressful things that occur in their life that can cause you to have great discomfort or upset or anxiety about things. So for each person it does not need to be the same thing."

Meanwhile, Wednesday morning the country was introduced to another one of Dr. McVige's patients on the Today show. Brooke Dupont said her ticks started two weeks before Christmas, and although she's feeling good, she's scared the symptoms could get worse. "I feel a lot better now but I just don't know what will happen down the road," said Dupont.

Her father, Jim Dupont, doesn't think Conversion Disorder is to blame. "You need to at least have a believable diagnosis, not just a coincidental one, that was loosely given to us with the Conversion Disorder, mass hysteria type thing, which nobody's buying it." He added, "The stress related, or it's all in your head, or copy-cat, or whatever they want to call it is not believable to me."

Dr. McVige responded, "When a diagnosis can be accepted and appropriate treatment given then we can move on and people can get better. And I'm happy to say the majority of people I'm treating have greatly improved since we've started."

Generally speaking, Dr. McVige says treatment for Conversion Disorder includes psychotherapy, behavior modification therapy and medication.

Jim Dupont wants more testing done on his daughter and at the school, even though the LeRoy School District released results this week of an environmental study claiming all samples came back at normal levels.

When 2 On Your Side's Melissa Holmes asked Dr. McVige why we are only see these symptoms in this group of girls at LeRoy right now, she responded, "That's the interesting part and that's why everybody's reporting on it. We're not quite sure why there's this little subset of individuals that's developed this at the same time."

"It's heart wrenching because you feel like your daughter's not going to be able to have a normal life," said Dupont.
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.wgrz.com/rss/article/1516...yssey=obinsite

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- That mystery illness affecting teenage girls down the Thruway continues to be in the national spotlight. A local doctor treating most of the girls was on NBC's Today Show Friday to discuss their diagnosis, but one parent tells 2 On Your Side, he wants a second opinion.

At least a dozen girls from LeRoy High School have been suffering from severe ticks and verbal outbursts since October. The state health department and private testing by the school district ruled out infection and environmental factors.

Dr. Laszlo Mechtler from the Dent Neurologic Institute in Amherst is treating 10 of the 12 girls. He diagnosed some of the girls with conversion disorder- as a group it's called mass psychogenic illness. The doctors says it's a physiological problem that can happen in groups like female teenagers, where one person may have a real disorder and other healthy individuals acquire real symptoms through stress or trauma. "The point we're trying to make is these young ladies have real symptoms, they're truly affected, and will get better," Dr. Mechtler told NBC's Matt Lauer.

Dr. Mechtler also said he's seen a significant improvement in some of the girls. After watching the interview, Jim Dupont whose daughter Brooke has minor symptoms said he and the other parents aren't seeing the same results. "I'm not getting any of that from the parents. I haven't seen that with the kids that I've seen.

Dupont says he has trouble believing the diagnosis. "For us to try to buy that our girls all seem to have a traumatic experience within a couple of months, same time, and all seem to have handled it the same way with the same symptoms, that don't even know each other, it's just unbelievable," he said.

According to Dupont, other experts have reached out to the group of parents offering to help. He says as a group they selected one downstate doctor specializing in auto-immune disorders, specifically one called Pandas, to fly here, review the test results and possibly do more testing on the girls.

"I think the first mistake that was made that all the girls went to the same doctor. Because you lack the second opinion type thing," said Dupont.

Dr. Mechtler told 2 On Your Side's Melissa Holmes by phone that he ruled out Pandas because it's associated with Strep and only one girl had a throat infection. Furthermore, he says, Pandas only occurs in pre-pubescent girls.
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

My daughter, until she was 8, was perfectly healthy. During this time, the stress of my mental breakdown, her mom & my divorce and her dad no longer being in the same house took it's toll on her. She ended up with strep. She was on all the meds to clear it up. With in six months, she developed Tourette's-like symptoms.

Over the last few years, we've tried different meds to help her out. A few times she got sick and was put on antibiotics. Suddenly her Tourette's-like symptoms would stop. Just flat out disappear. With in a few days of her being done with them, the symptoms would re-appear. The Tourette's symptoms absolutely wipe her out. By the time shye's done with school, she get's home and crashes for hours on end. We wake her up so she can eat, shower, and back to sleep she goes.

For the last few months we (her mom & I) have been fighting with her doctor to test her for Panda's. Each time he'd object. Her Dr.'s in Iowa City weren't convinced, until they saw her the last time she was on anti-biotics. We finally got them to listen. Next month they're going to test her and see if they can get her on an anti-biotic regime that will wipe out the Panda's and the Tourette's symptoms.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ToddE View Post

ok that was funny...but what I meant was that perhaps one girl was ill...particularly if it was a post strep thing...as I mentioned before and as RRMB mentioned there is a syndrom that follows a step infection that mimics tourettes like symptoms....and we all know how these strep infections sweep thru schools

If one girl actually had it, the other girls could be unintentionally mimicing it

not unusual, the mind is capable of astonishing things....phantom pains in missing limbs, sympathy pains, hysterical pregnancy, hallucinations, irrational thoughts and hysterical reactions

best case scenario is that is what they have there ...one affected girl and a bunch of friends who are suffering from "conversion disorder"