Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Default Vinyl, L.P., or Record Album's.

This thread is for everything that is vinyl.

I guess I'll start. I like the warmth of the way they sound, It makes me feel good to know I am not listening to 1's and 0's.

I like to collect all different kinds like rock, jazz, movie soundtracks.
    One of my goals is to get all of Elvis' movie soundtracks. I have 2 right now.
    The best sounding record that I have is Glady's Night and the Pips. (funny right) but when I listen to 'Midnight Train To Georgia" it's like they are in the room with me.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

Only thing I miss about vinyl is the artwork. Maybe to the trained ear someone can tell the difference in sound quality between a record and a CD, but I don't think there's many. I've had shitty sounding records just as I have shitty sounding CDs, and I've had records that fill the room just as I have CDs that fill the room. I don't miss the pops and scuffs - it got to the point where it became hard even to get a brand new record that didn't have at least one click or pop from the getgo. I still have albums that I listen to on CD that when I get to a certain part I still hear the pop that my old vinyl version had at that spot. I did my best to care for my records and the ones I still have get played every now and again but if I had the money and availability to replace all the records that I like with CDs, I would.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

Yesterday, a local thrift store chain had a 1/2 off day for M.L.K. day.

One thing nice about collecting vinyl at thrift stores is that I'm usually the only one doing it, maybe one other person but usually not. The store normally sells Albums for 69 cents, and yesterday was 1/2 off and I found 10 albums that were good quality so I paid about $3.70 for all 10.

Now 3 of those records I found were Sarah Vaughan records from the 50's. So I looked up each record on ebay and they seem to be selling for $20-$50 depending on the condition.

I'm not saying this is the reason to buy records, but it's nice when this type of thing happens.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

I personally feel that the 1's and 0's are irritating to the human brain. Maybe like margarine instead of butter. We take it in, but our bodies/brains do not like the jagged subliminal edges that digital has.
    I have heard of people getting headaches from digital, and just simply not being into the music as much.
    I read an article a while back where a guy listened to the c.d. version of an album and then listened to the Vinyl version and the guy said he actually wanted to hear more music with the vinyl.

I started thinking about that and came to my conclusion that the human brain was created to hear organic sounds like live music, or the human voice, birds etc. The stuff recorded on tape and transferred to vinyl is a continuous stream of sound, the digital is stair stepped and maybe it irritates the brain subliminally I don't know.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I'd like to get myself a turntable and get some copies of Dark Side of the Moon, Houses Of The Holy, a couple of Buddy Rich live shows from the mid 60's, and Sinatra's "In The Wee Small Hours".

And Van Halen I while I'm dreaming.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

To me, a good sounding album is more about the production quality than the format you play it on. A well produced album will sound great on CD or vinyl. That being said, I really dig vinyl because of the hugeness of the artwork and the intimacy of dropping the needle onto the disc. I've got a modest vinyl collection including all the VH (up to OU812). By the way, anyone know where I can find a vinyl copy of VHIII or FUCK?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

I got a limited "Wall" 45 box back on "black friday record store day"
    Comes with poster and three 45's
    The packaging is so cool!

Picked up a couple new reissues last week. Black Sabbath Master Of Reality, and John Lee Hooker Sittin Here Thinkin'
    Great stuff.

Record Store Day got me back into vinyl in a big way! Some people say it's a cash grab exploitation but whatever. Twice a year now, I eagerly await the list of record store day stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/RecordStore...wall&filter=12

Last Online

01.17.16 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently got a turntable for $10 from a friend after having a discussion on the music industry and the lack of music stores. He had upgraded to a newer version that allowed him to convert vinyl into MP3s.

I then had to make a trip to my parents house to rummage through boxes in the basement to find my old albums.

After hooking up the turntable I put on "1984" and then "Hysteria". It was a trip down memory lane.

I have since started buying vinyl here and there. I like it, I don't think it sounds better than a CD, but there is something about it that draws me in.

I love my iPod, but really miss being able to go to a record store and buy music. I still want something physical in my hand. I'll use iTunes to get the odd song here and there, but if I want the whole album I buy a CD and then rip it.
    "One volume knob and one pickup ? that's all there is to it. No fancy tone knobs over here!" -EVH

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    I got a limited "Wall" 45 box back on "black friday record store day"
    Comes with poster and three 45's
    The packaging is so cool!

Picked up a couple new reissues last week. Black Sabbath Master Of Reality, and John Lee Hooker Sittin Here Thinkin'
    Great stuff.

Record Store Day got me back into vinyl in a big way! Some people say it's a cash grab exploitation but whatever. Twice a year now, I eagerly await the list of record store day stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/RecordStore...wall&filter=12
    I actually bought a few things on vinyl on record store day also, it was a complete coincidence that I just happened to walk into the store to buy on that day. That store has since closed they were a fairly large chain in my town and now only have one store holding on. When my roommate moves out I plan to convert her room into a turntable room. Anyway, is it true they are going to stop making CDs by the end of this year? I tried to google but I really couldn't find any solid information on it.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

I search craigslist for people selling their albums. Found this guy who is 52 selling his collection. I learned the story of how Cream's Disraeli Gears got it's title.
    Cream was recording in the U.S. and Clapton was talking telling Ginger Baker about this new bike he was going to buy and a Roadie walks buy and says "Those bikes got them disraeli gears", instead of saying derailleur gears.

Also, I was at a thrift store today and found out they sell their albums 10 for $1.00. I found some good ones. Humble Pie Live at the Fillmore, Stevie Wonder Innervisions, Raspberries Best, John Fogherty Center field. All in perfect condition.
    Last edited by Things Change; 01.23.12 at 10:03 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A friend who heard I'm starting a KI$$ tribute got me this for Xmas:

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I work at a school district office
    and the teacher's resource lab has these old-school a/v style record players
    the kind with built in speakers, the 70's style ones, just ancient.

well I've got a big ol' crate of vinyl just collecting dust in the shed...

so one day I checked out the record player, & brought it home for a weekend...

that was a good weekend in our house.

my son was getting into the covers, picking out the records..
    we were dancing around to the music

was a whole different deal from just crankin up the computer..

watchin 'em spin around the turntable up there on the counter,
    and the pop of the static....it was a real cool vibe.

My 8 yr-old son saw a commercial for something on VH1 Classic,
    & it had a graveyard full of crosses..

He looks at it and says
    "papa, that's just like the Metallica record cover picture!! (Master Of Puppets)"

ya see, you just don't get those moments from cd artwork...

had a tear in my eye...

"c'mere ya litle rock star...show daddy your 'heavy metal hands'"

"like THIS papa??" \m/ \m/

"yup, just like that, little buddy..."
    Last edited by LOC; 01.24.12 at 09:51 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulGirl5150 View Post
    I actually bought a few things on vinyl on record store day also, it was a complete coincidence that I just happened to walk into the store to buy on that day. That store has since closed they were a fairly large chain in my town and now only have one store holding on. When my roommate moves out I plan to convert her room into a turntable room. Anyway, is it true they are going to stop making CDs by the end of this year? I tried to google but I really couldn't find any solid information on it.
    I heard that too. I'm sure it's not true but it likely won't be long. cd's are kind of stuck.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

If they stop making C.D.'s then there will be either Awesome (vinyl) or crap mp3's? That's like having to choose between a Rolls Royce or a Chevy Chevette.

Well I got 2 more L.P.'s today. "The Best of Mountain" and "Goodbye" by Cream.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

wouldn't surprise me, but I hope not

On another note, I pulled my Billy Idol Don't Stop EP out a couple of days ago and that plastic bag that Chrysalis used to have for an inner sleeve is pretty disintegrated. Not sure how many other Chrysalis records I have with that bag - don't know if I dare to see what shape their sleeves are in!