Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts

Default (A story about) Van Halen Autographs - non ADKOT topic, beware!

I'm not sure where else to post this. I've been so caught up with new album discussion, I haven't taken the time to type this story out. If you feel like a bit of a read here; I'm curious to see what some fans think of this story:

Just thought I'd share a story for any of you Van Halen fans that have autographed merchandise out there.

When I was 18 years old I took piano lessons from a guy for roughly one year. I had taken them when I was a kid, and thought I'd pick it back up because this instructor was open to teaching pop music as well as theory. As a high school kid, I was thrilled to bring in Van Halen CDs and learn some numbers on piano (Right Now intro, Not Enough, New World, etc).

My piano teacher had LOADS of music. CDs and vinyl around an entire room. I was in awe at how much music the man had. He clearly appreciated every genre.

Anyway, I noticed he had a lot of Van Halen albums (all DLR era). I commented on his vinyl collection. After hearing I was a fan, he pulled out VH2 on vinyl signed by every band member. He told me the story of his experience seeing Van Halen after II was released. VH crew set up tables after the show, and my teacher (who was in his early twenties at the time) was able to get autographs along with a friend of his who attended the show.

I went on to college and eventually stopped my lessons, but I always brought up that signed album to friends who were into Van Halen simply because, at age 18, I couldn't believe I was able to see actual signatures in person.

So, fast forward 10 years later. I decide I want to get some lessons on guitar, and I call up my old piano teacher who learned guitar AFTER years of mastering piano.
    After a few lessons and catching up on the past ten years I brought up the VH2 signed vinyl he had. He was surprised I remembered it to this day. He brought it out again and told me an interesting story:

A few years ago he was getting rid of a lot of "things" he had. He explained to me he was getting to a point in his life where he just had a lot of stuff that sat on a shelf (multiple album copies, memorabilia, etc) and he figured a lot of his things would be better off in the hands of fans that would appreciate these things more.

He looked on Ebay and noticed that Van Halen albums sold within a certain price range depending on quality of signatures, etc. My teacher decides to sell his VHII copy online.

I should mention that my teacher does very well for himself, and he respects music, artists, etc. He's not one to try making a cheap buck.

Anyway, he gets a letter from Van Halen's legal team questioning the authenticity of the signatures on the vinyl record. He responded with his story of getting the signatures in person. He names the venue, date, etc.
    VH legal team fires back that they would like to review the signatures. I don't recall if he send the actual album cover or not, but either way, he went through the motions to appease VH's reps.
    Legal team (or whoever) declares they are fraudulent signatures and order him to stop his attempt to sell the record on Ebay. They even went so far as to tell him that the "pen" used to sign the album cover didn't exist in 1979. My teacher laughed as he told me this because he remembers buying the pen...in 1979. After seeing signatures on Ebay, he said it's a shame he couldn't sell his album because he had larger, clearly defined signatures than any he had seen offered online.

If anyone was paying attention, he did have a friend with him at the concert that got the same signatures that same day. He's tried reconnecting with him after years of lost contact with no luck so far.

Now, I trust this guy. He's pretty much told me he'll just keep the thing since he knows how the signatures really got there, and he left it at that.

However, the moral of the story: I SHOULD BUY THIS RECORD OFF OF HIM! What would you offer? haha
    Not trying to turn this into a buy/sell thread. I just couldn't believe the difficulty this guy had proving to Eddie that he signed something.

Also, has anyone else had similar experiences with signed VH items? Not trying to stir things up, I'm just really interested after my teacher's story.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

I won a VH an autographed VH photo at the Vegas show from ILAA. I hope it is authentic. But since I won't be selling it, it really doesn't matter.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Ask him how much he wants, honestly he should give it to you for free since you are a huge fan and he doesn't want it anymore and doesn't need the money.

In another story, I won a signed photograph from the Balance era, watching MTV.
    Funny thing I met the VJ a couple of years later at an AC/DC concert, and told him I was one of the lucky 15 people who won the photograph.
    He didn't trust me so he asked me what was the question the had asked, and I told him.
    I sent the answer via FAX!!! in 1995, I actually can't believe how things have changed since then.
    He told me there was such a big demand for thos photos that one was actually stolen from someone in the MTV crew.
    The picture is now framed in my studio.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Send me a copy of VHII and I'll inscribe the proper signatures on it for $24.95...Same product for less money.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Balance - that story is completely bonkers! I mean, I know that there's a huge market in counterfeit signatures that legitimate businesses want to stamp out - but VH's reaction just seems completely OTT - and yet also so typical of what we know about EVH and his seemingly unquenchable thirst for litigation.

The world's gone stark, staring mad!

Anyway, yes, I'd ask your teacher to let you have it - offer him some dough, of course - but, with a bit of luck, he'll just say, "Take it!"
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

5150-Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

Damn, I should put up my 5150 vinyl for sale on ebay signed by Mike,Al and sammy. then i could hit of the attorneys for eddie's autograph to complete it

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:12 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Wow. I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I feel terrible for your music teacher. It sure sounds like his signatures are real, so should absolutely be able to sell it. But on the other hand, I am shocked to hear that Van Halen is FINALLY cracking down on forged signatures on eBay. That was a long time coming and I'm thrilled that they are doing this...good for them. Fake forgeries are absolutely rampant on eBay.

I can only speak for VH signatures, but damn near ALL of them for sale are forgeries. Seriously... it's way higher than people would think. I monitored ebay for fake VH sigs for months and I talked to one of their managers about it, and we both feel certain that in the neighborhood of 95% of them that have been on ebay are forgeries. Some are obvious forgeries, while others are very well done. I'm not saying that either myself of that manager could possibly never get it wrong when we are trying to identify fakes, but I am absolutely certain that the vast, vast majority of them are fake. There was only a small percentage of them that I would be afraid to guess. It's awful. It sounds like your music teacher is paying the price of what others have done. It's not fair, but life isn't fair.

If I were you, I would definitely try to buy that from him. You appreciate your teacher & his album has a cool story behind it and that is so much cooler than buying something questionable on ebay.

The truth is that there are simply not that many items in existence that have truly been signed by the entire band. Sure, over the years, they've signed tons of items, but most end up in a fan's collection permanently and don't hit the market again. If eBay could somehow magically be rid of all fake sigs, then the real ones really stand out and would go for far more money than "signed" things usually go for.

Last Online

04.13.13 @ 01:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    Sure, over the years, they've signed tons of items, but most end up in a fan's collection permanently and don't hit the market again.
    I won a bass drum skin on the 2004 tour via ILAA pre-concert party signed by the band. You'll never see it anywhere but my house. Some guy at the party came over and asked me if I would take $3000 for it. Told him, no, it's coming home with me!

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrFingers View Post
    I won a bass drum skin on the 2004 tour via ILAA pre-concert party signed by the band. You'll never see it anywhere but my house. Some guy at the party came over and asked me if I would take $3000 for it. Told him, no, it's coming home with me!
    I admire your dedication to the boys but for three grand that drum skin woulda been sold on the spot. BUT, I understand why you didnt
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

Little Dreamer Ludwig van Halen's Avatar
    Last Online

03.29.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So "if" the VHII album had a "certificate of authenticity", what would the market value be today?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I have a VH1 album cover autographed by all but DLR. I'd love to get him to add his signature to it on this tour!

Also have an autographed Ernie Ball Musicman EVH (on the back coverplate).

The band signed this stuff for me in Richmond, VA in 1995. I had done an interview with EVH the previous week for a local music publication, and was invited backstage at the show. The tour manager Scotty Ross took all of the items back into the dressing room and had them signed (the band had a 'no autographs' policy during their meet & greet, so Scotty took my stuff back and got it done). Funnily, he said "I've gotten pretty good at forging their signatures!" when handed the stuff back to me. I assume he was joking. . .but you never know! Ha!
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig van Halen View Post
    So "if" the VHII album had a "certificate of authenticity", what would the market value be today?
    Well, since the economy sucks, not as much as it would have 5 years ago -- but this is the rule across the collectibles market.

Even so, signatures of living human beings are not worth as much as one might think. In fact, as Jeff alluded to, the value of such things is really up to the individual that holds it. I have an Ozzy autograph, but I would never sell it because he signed it for me and me alone when it was just the two of us. An Ozzy freak might like to have the autograph, but it is much more valuable to me. I also have all three members of Rush signatures on a vinyl album cover. Some people would love to have it, but it says "To Kevin" on it, making it much more personal and therefore more valuable to me.

It should be obvious to anyone that a John Lennon signature obviously goes for a lot more than Ringo's.

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

Here's my autograph from Van Halen. This was signed at Pine Knob, during the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour.

I used to work there in college. I was stage security and helped keep people from jumping on stage during shows. I had worked their like 4 years, I was about to graduate, and the job was getting old. Got tickets for the show and asked my supervisor if I could get my guitar autographed. He said "Ask Hugh." (the head of security). Hugh said, definitively, "NO!"

I was moping around about it and one of the older ladies that worked there told me to ask the President/CEO, Tom Wilson (who now works for the Iilich family who owns Comerica Park). I said I was afraid I'd get fired. She put me in my place. She was like, "Are you gonna work here forever? Then what does it matter if they fire you? You make like $6.50 an hour. You can find another job that pays that. Besides, if you get fired for making such a simple request, you're better off without this place."

That was just the kick in the ass I need.

The next time I saw Tom Wilson, I stopped him. I told him my love for Van Halen. How Eddie inspired me to take up guitar. And then asked if he could have someone take my guitar backstage and get it autographed for me.

Tom just bursts out laughing. I don't know what he's going to do, then he responds, "Sure. No problem. Drop it off at my office the day of the show. I'll have Marilyn (she was in charge of promotions) take it backstage for you."

After the show, Marilyn brought it to the security trailer. They called my buddies at on the walkie talkies and told them to bring me in. They opened the case and my jaw hit the floor. It was awesome! It's still my most prized possession.

The guitar is a piece of crap. A Gibson Epiphone with a Kahler Spyder tremolo. Stock pickups. The neck and body are one sold piece of wood (not a bolt on neck like most guitars). I think I paid $350 for it back in 1990. But I'll never get rid of it. It's awesome and means the world to me!

Here are some picks I got while working there too. The entire middle row is Van Halen picks (accept for the very last one which is a George Lynch pick).

Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights / I´ll Wait
    Last Online

11.06.17 @ 01:38 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Premium Member

Default ...not exactly VH, but....

Here in Germany it´s not that big deal with autographs or signed memorabilias. It´s cool to have, but you won´t get high prizes for such things on ebay.
    Saw CF yesterday in Tilburg, Netherlands. Standing front-row on Mike´s side. He and Sammy signed my CD-cover from the DeluxeVersion. Great show - great memories !!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ineedalogin View Post
    Here's my autograph from Van Halen. This was signed at Pine Knob, during the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour.

I used to work there in college. I was stage security and helped keep people from jumping on stage during shows. I had worked their like 4 years, I was about to graduate, and the job was getting old. Got tickets for the show and asked my supervisor if I could get my guitar autographed. He said "Ask Hugh." (the head of security). Hugh said, definitively, "NO!"

I was moping around about it and one of the older ladies that worked there told me to ask the President/CEO, Tom Wilson (who now works for the Iilich family who owns Comerica Park). I said I was afraid I'd get fired. She put me in my place. She was like, "Are you gonna work here forever? Then what does it matter if they fire you? You make like $6.50 an hour. You can find another job that pays that. Besides, if you get fired for making such a simple request, you're better off without this place."

That was just the kick in the ass I need.

The next time I saw Tom Wilson, I stopped him. I told him my love for Van Halen. How Eddie inspired me to take up guitar. And then asked if he could have someone take my guitar backstage and get it autographed for me.

Tom just bursts out laughing. I don't know what he's going to do, then he responds, "Sure. No problem. Drop it off at my office the day of the show. I'll have Marilyn (she was in charge of promotions) take it backstage for you."

After the show, Marilyn brought it to the security trailer. They called my buddies at on the walkie talkies and told them to bring me in. They opened the case and my jaw hit the floor. It was awesome! It's still my most prized possession.

The guitar is a piece of crap. A Gibson Epiphone with a Kahler Spyder tremolo. Stock pickups. The neck and body are one sold piece of wood (not a bolt on neck like most guitars). I think I paid $350 for it back in 1990. But I'll never get rid of it. It's awesome and means the world to me!

Here are some picks I got while working there too. The entire middle row is Van Halen picks (accept for the very last one which is a George Lynch pick).

Great story. That was my first VH show and one of the loudest concerts I have ever been to. I seem to remember them adding more speakers along the stairs to beef up the usual Pine Knob PA.