Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Smokers Need Not Apply: Is Hiring Ban Trend of the Future?

For about two decades, smokers have been pushed steadily out of the workplace, as lawmakers and employers have sought to minimize exposure to second-hand smoke.

Employers have confined smokers to designated areas, moved smoking areas outside buildings, and limited smoking breaks. Now, some companies are opting to push smokers out of the workplace altogether.

That's the case with the Massachusetts Hospital Association (MHA), an employer of 45 that announced earlier this month it would no longer hire people who smoke. The firm is the first private employer in Massachusetts to take such a step, though several others elsewhere -- such as the Cleveland Clinic, a medical center based in Ohio; Alaska Airlines; and Union Pacific Railroad -- have also stopped hiring smokers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=12196304
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,109 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

It'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere. The things that pisses me off about smokers are the multiple breaks that I don't get. Caffeine's a drug. Why can't I get Diet Coke breaks?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,117 Times in 8,948 Posts

If I had known at the time of interview that my new receptionist was a smoker, I wouldn't have hired her.

I want happy employees so I therefore do not want to be too much of a ball buster, but the fucking smoke breaks are ridiculous.

I need to get up to date myself on what I can and cannot enforce as smoke break rules here in Virginia.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

When I was teaching, I only ever smoked during the same breaks that everybody else had - can you imagine if I'd just walked out of the classroom to have a fag? I think not.

As a virtual non-drinker (I'm bladdered after 2 or 3), I'd be interested to know how many people take days off due to having a hangover...Perhaps consuming alcohol on worknights should also be banned, therefore disqualifying those who drink from being employed as well...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:16 AM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere. The things that pisses me off about smokers are the multiple breaks that I don't get. Caffeine's a drug. Why can't I get Diet Coke breaks?
    You mean people are getting extra "breaks" outside of their regular breaks just so they can smoke? This is news to me. I wouldn't allow that if I was an employer. Usually you get a break every two hrs. If you can't wait a measley 2 hrs without having a smoke, than you got it bad. I used to smoke and could go all day sometimes without a smoke.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,109 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

As a libertarian, I think you should be able to hire and fire anyone for any reason. If a business owner doesn't want to be surrounded by smokers, I don't see any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    You mean people are getting extra "breaks" outside of their regular breaks just so they can smoke? This is news to me. I wouldn't allow that if I was an employer. Usually you get a break every two hrs. If you can't wait a measley 2 hrs without having a smoke, than you got it bad. I used to smoke and could go all day sometimes without a smoke.
    Yes. I don't know what the laws are, though. But neither my ex boss nor my girlfriend's current boss enforce anything that disallows smokers to take as many breaks as they want, or at least as long as they want.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I know what you mean. I think that smokers are viewed as taking a break "with a purpose". Non-smokers are viewed as just "screwing off" if they are standing there merely talking while taking a break.

I once worked with a guy that would take "clean air" breaks. Just go outside and hang out for a few minutes.
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Perhaps consuming alcohol on worknights should also be banned, therefore disqualifying those who drink from being employed as well...
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not get crazy here. I play in a dart league on Wednesday nights though the winter and then I got softball on weeknights in the summer. Are you suggesting I don't drink on these nights??
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not get crazy here. I play in a dart league on Wednesday nights though the winter and then I got softball on weeknights in the summer. Are you suggesting I don't drink on these nights??
    No - I'm playing devil's advocate.

All I'm saying is that if you start disqualifying people who smoke from working because of their unauthorised fag-breaks then you could just as easily disqualify drinkers for their unauthorised 'duvet days' where they take days off to recover from the previous night's excesses.

I agree that smokers shouldn't get any more breaks than their non-smoking counterparts - and that is fairly simple to enforce, I would've thought. It's certainly not a good reason not to employ them at all - that's just silly.

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently quit smoking the start of this year, but when I was smoking almost a pack a day, I NEVER asked for smoke breaks. My coworkers never got extra breaks so I never felt entitled to any. Plus it was a habit I willingly picked up so I didn't deserve any special treatment.

This is why I would smoke thousands of cigarettes on my lunch break
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I always laugh when I see a few people huddled up outside of a building in the freezing cold with no jackets on smoking a butt and shivering like a motherfucker. Looks like a good time.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

My rule is simple.....smoke all you want....on your break!

If I have to go find you....and your not on a break?......Adios Cabron!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Agreed with all, no mercy on the smokers. Within a few generations I see this habit being almost banned. It is such a useless habit with no medicinal purpose that I am surprised that cocksucking FDA has not banned it. Can you people tell me why the FDA has not ended cigarette production in the US??? Bribes and corroption live in front of your face.
    F' cigarettes.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Very simple, Mr Punch (at least here in the UK - not sure how these things operate in the US):

The amount of VAT charged on a packet of cigs is so enormous that were you to ban them, the government would have to slash its public spending drastically.

Oh, non-smokers will tell you that the VAT recouped from cigarettes pays for the medical care that smokers will need in their lifetime - absolute bollocks. The amount of tax brought in by cigs DWARFS the amount spent on healthcare by smokers.

Also, smokers die younger, thereby massively reducing the pension cost to the public purse.

It makes huge financial sense to keep cigarettes legal but hideously expensive - the government knows that they can just keep putting the price up and up and up and we'll somehow afford it - because we're addicts and therefore a touch stupid (this I readily admit).

And that's why it'll never, ever be banned.

(By the way, alcohol actually costs our country one helluva lot more financially what with healthcare, public disorder, policing etc - but you never hear any talk of THAT being banned!)

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 6,674 Times in 3,699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Very simple, Mr Punch (at least here in the UK - not sure how these things operate in the US):

The amount of VAT charged on a packet of cigs is so enormous that were you to ban them, the government would have to slash its public spending drastically.

Oh, non-smokers will tell you that the VAT recouped from cigarettes pays for the medical care that smokers will need in their lifetime - absolute bollocks. The amount of tax brought in by cigs DWARFS the amount spent on healthcare by smokers.

Also, smokers die younger, thereby massively reducing the pension cost to the public purse.

It makes huge financial sense to keep cigarettes legal but hideously expensive - the government knows that they can just keep putting the price up and up and up and we'll somehow afford it - because we're addicts and therefore a touch stupid (this I readily admit).

And that's why it'll never, ever be banned.

(By the way, alcohol actually costs our country one helluva lot more financially what with healthcare, public disorder, policing etc - but you never hear any talk of THAT being banned!)
    that's the bigger part of this. I'm not sure if the taxes offset the health care costs but it might when you strip out the number of extra years of health care needed (since smokers die younger). The problem is that banning it would be almost impossible. Unless you're an island nation with the world's best law enforcement, the product will simply end up underground. Which means maybe fewer smokers but ZERO tax revenue.