Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Don't Laugh I Really Don't Know How To Do This!

Ok you can make fun of me, I don't care. Yes after having hundreds of pedals, pedal boards, playing guitar 25 years, I really don't know the first thing about how to do what I'm going to ask, but I want to.

A lot of times when I'm playing live, I have to click a bunch of pedals on at once and of course it's never a clean switch. I'm trying to do it so fast, I often miss one, or hit the wrong one on, or my foot changes the settings, etc. Sometimes they're hard to get to fast, because they're at the top of the board, etc.

I know a lot of guys do this. But I don't know how. I want to combine some of the pedals together, so that I can press one button and turn them on. Like for one song, maybe I need my flanger and my chorus on, I want to click one thing and have them both go on, instead of having to kill myself to switch them both on.

Please explain to this dummy how I do this, after you get a good laugh.

Gracias.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Giant clown shoes!

Seriously though, are you looking to make modifications (non perminant) to the pedals, like velcroing a piece of wood accross the switches so that one stamp activates the two? I've never thought of doing it, I either have patches or I dance!...Sorry I'm of little help.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

No I guess I want to do patches. Isn't that what I'm saying? Or no?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Ok you can make fun of me, I don't care. Yes after having hundreds of pedals, pedal boards, playing guitar 25 years, I really don't know the first thing about how to do what I'm going to ask, but I want to.

A lot of times when I'm playing live, I have to click a bunch of pedals on at once and of course it's never a clean switch. I'm trying to do it so fast, I often miss one, or hit the wrong one on, or my foot changes the settings, etc. Sometimes they're hard to get to fast, because they're at the top of the board, etc.

I know a lot of guys do this. But I don't know how. I want to combine some of the pedals together, so that I can press one button and turn them on. Like for one song, maybe I need my flanger and my chorus on, I want to click one thing and have them both go on, instead of having to kill myself to switch them both on.

Please explain to this dummy how I do this, after you get a good laugh.

Gracias.
    Not a stupid or simple question at all man. What you're talking about is a custom switcher, or a pedal looper.

http://www.loop-master.com/product_i...roducts_id=106

There's a good example. Basically, they are a passive switching box that give you multiple 'effects loops,' but outside your amp itself. For example, on the one shown above, you could stick your chorus and flanger in loop 1, and say a rotary speaker, delay, and reverb in loop 2. You leave the pedals all on, all the time. Then when you want to kick in the first loop, kick the first switch and it will route your signal thru the chorus and flanger, then out to your amp. Kick on the 2nd loop and it will run from input->thru loop 1->thru loop2 -> output. Turn off loop 1 and it will just run thru loop 2 then out to your amp. Etc. etc. The possibilities are endless -- I usually build these specifically to purpose, but that's why you can buy them with anywhere from 1 loop to 8 or 10 if you need that many.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Delete....He got in before me..lol
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Ok so wait, looking at that, am I just plugging the outs of the pedals into that thing? And how many pedals can you have on one loop?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Often wondered the same thing Brett... I believe what you are looking for is a midi effects controller/switching unit that's configurable for multiple rack or stomp box effects.

Here's something I've gas'ed over but haven't taken the time to investigate further. I think this is where you're heading...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VDLGCP
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Here's another choice, the Boss LS-2. This one is an old standard although I've never had the need to use one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...r-power-supply

Pretty inexpensive as well and typically has good reviews.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Bomb the Moon
    Last Online

03.13.12 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

loop masters is the way to go with out spending big bucks. I think there web page has a good break down on what you need and how to do it.
    JX4244Q

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

It looks like the loop master is the way to go for a good price, I just have to figure how to do it. I mean if I chain my flanger and phaser together, does that mean I can never run my phaser by itself?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

http://buzzelectronics.co.uk/product...products_id=90

This is what I use!

Attention to the "programmable" feature - that's what you want!

(it's the closer I could get from a CAE MIDI switcher wich I can't afford)

Last edited by GOLATTARI; 01.16.12 at 11:34 AM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    It looks like the loop master is the way to go for a good price, I just have to figure how to do it. I mean if I chain my flanger and phaser together, does that mean I can never run my phaser by itself?
    Yep. If you get into the midi switching stuff, not only do you need the expensive foot controller -- you need a rack mounted receiver that has midi controlled relays that do the switching -- which is a much more expensive and complicated setup.

If you chain the phaser and flanger together because you normally want to turn them both on, then you leave them both on at the pedal, and put them in a loop. Then when you hit the loop to activate it, it sends the signal thru those 2 pedals. If you want to use only the phaser, for example, you just leave loop 1 on, then click the flanger's switch to bypass. Ideally, you just figure out the pedal combinations you always use live, and then get that many loops so you always turn on a drive and a phaser, a filter and a delay, a reverb, flanger, and pitchshifter, etc. in the loops you have them in. But if you wanna break with the preconfigured loops, you can still just turn off individual pedals within the loop.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Ok cool I'm getting this now. Just a few more questions.

So obviously I can't run a phaser in one loop and a phase/flanger combo in the other unless I have two phasers. I'll just have to click my flanger off manually when I know I'm not using it in a song.

There's obviously no way to do it with the channel switcher I take it? Yes a stupid question, but was thinking I could switch channels to clean and throw my chorus on in one fail swoop.

The bypass obviously turns the system off...does that mean I can just use my pedals straight up after that?

And lastly, how to run a run my Boss NS-2 to the pedals now because the pedals are going into the switcher?
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Bomb the Moon
    Last Online

03.13.12 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe the loop master bypass shuts off all FX's so it just your guitar to amp. to run the 2 effects at once then just one, like you said you would have to run the two pedals in the loop and just turn one pedal off manually. I think there was a cool 6 switch on the site for $100 on sale with out the bypass or tuner option
    JX4244Q

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

GOLATARRI's option looks cooler, and cheaper, but here's another option for you. The Carl Martin Octa-Switch.

http://www.themadape.com/Carl_Martin...htm?click=1540

8 individual loops and 8 individual switches. Each switch has a set of dip switches that let you select which loops each switch activates.

So lets say your loops 1-8, go: Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Boost, OD 1, OD 2, Delay, Verb.

You can set Footswitch 1's dip switches to loops 2, 3, and 8, giving you Flanger, Chorus and Verb. Footswitch 2 could be just Flanger, Footswitch 3 could be OD1 and Phase, etc.

A buddy of mine had one and he really dug it. I didn't really get to use it, but it seems like it'd serve your purposes well.