Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Santorum says the tax code is holding back the birth rate

I would say that the economy is holding back the birth rate but the young people I know who have no jobs or education or expectation of either, seem to be multiplying like rabbits where the young professionals are putting off starting their families and citing student debt, job insecurity and delayed home buying as reasons

thoughts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...l?ref=politics

Rick Santorum appeared on FOX News Sunday, where he talked about his plan to triple the tax credit for children (from today's $1000 per child deduction.)

The former Pennsylvania senator talked about the "demographic winter" that is happening in Europe because of tax codes that are worse than ours in terms of promoting large families.

"Children are the greatest resource we have," he said. "They're the natural resource that creates wealth in this country."

Santorum defended himself against charges of social engineering and called criticism of his tax plan "outrageous."

"This is not social engineering," he said. "What's social engineering is the policies of the last 30 years that have robbed the family of the support that they used to have in the tax code."

On Saturday at a campaign stop in Charleston, Santorum also talked about his own children and how they have shaped his anti-abortion views. He told the crowd that his disabled daughter Bella, 3, made him realize that God looks upon him as "disabled."

"The gift that Bella gave me was the gift of looking at this disabled child who in the world's view will never be able to do anything for me other than love me," he said, according to MSNBC. "She is just a font of love as far as I' m concerned. And she made me understand that that's how the Father looks at me, disabled. Unable to do anything for him except love him. And he loves me unconditionally."

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

there's something to be said for what he is saying in the most general of terms. High taxes are helping to keep the birth rate down some I'm sure just because people are waiting longer until they're financially established some and having higher taxes delays this. But if he thinks that increases the tax exemption per child will help a great deal then I think he's nuts. Most people who are having kids for the first time have no idea what the amount even is. It's the least of our worries financially.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

there are enough people in the world. in fact, there could stand to be a lot less.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    there are enough people in the world. in fact, there could stand to be a lot less.
    My thoughts as well.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I would say that the economy is holding back the birth rate but the young people I know who have no jobs or education or expectation of either, seem to be multiplying like rabbits where the young professionals are putting off starting their families and citing student debt, job insecurity and delayed home buying as reasons

thoughts?
    Reminds me of the begining of Idiocracy.

Last edited by Darby; 01.15.12 at 11:07 PM.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    There are too many people in the world. We need a plague.

Dwight Schrute
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I don't think anyone considers the tax code when planning their family....sits down, does the figures and comes up with a deduction that won't even cover pampers for the first year and decides that they are ready based on their tax return

on the other hand, young couples who are unable to get ahead, or put together any savings, would probably look at their finances and decide to put off starting a family,,,,,a tax code which would put more money in their paycheck each week would certainly help......but an after the fact tax deduction probably wouldn't play into things

I think people who are concerned about the birth rate are more concerned that the birth rate for higher income and college educated women is about 1/3 that of low income women

obviously the tax code doesn't affect lower income women's decision

so I think there is a worry in their minds that the children being born are more likely to be a burden on the system as children and less likely to make up the gap in social security etc when they reach their working ages

I don't believe that people born into poverty are destined to remain in poverty,(sometimes its a huge motivator for success) but the odds are stacked against them...bad schools etc

but I also don't think the answer to our problems lies in getting educated people to have more children

the answer to the problem is more jobs and affordable high quality day care for women to consider those jobs.....everything else seems to fall into place when there are jobs that pay a good living wage.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I dont like Santorum and his social ideas. Last I looked some 18 yr olds in the back seat of a car were not talking tax codes when having unprotected sex or some gang banger with 12 kids all being raised by grandmothers. Some things in this life are bigger problems than for government to fix.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.