Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:51 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Jump...September 2004, Puerto Rico

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

At least Ed's hair wasn't up.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Looks like on of Ed's better nights. I think.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

07.30.15 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Looks like on of Ed's better nights. I think.
    Certainly one of the better nights on that tour! He does have an amazing work ethic....no matter how difficult it was for him personally on that tour,I don't think he missed a show-remarkable! Long live Ed!!
    Clanceman

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Amazing work ethic??? You're kidding, right?

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last time around for the Sammy era, sorry it wasn't what it could have been. Glad Ed is better now.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clance65 View Post
    Certainly one of the better nights on that tour! He does have an amazing work ethic....no matter how difficult it was for him personally on that tour,I don't think he missed a show-remarkable! Long live Ed!!
    If you mean, "He didn't call in before the show to say, "Guys...you're gonna have to do this one without me..." than you're on the money....but that really might be the most ridiculous post I've ever read here on this site in my 8 years of being here. And I say that with all due respect to you as a new member, man.

There were about 40-50 shows on that tour which Ed "missed". He was there physically, yes. But he wasn't there on so many other levels.

It is cool to see VH rockin on a stripped down stage. And Ed plays pretty good in this clip. No sustainer! And isn't it kind of scary to realize how thin he was on that tour. He looked...rough.
    Last edited by MF5150; 01.15.12 at 06:40 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by ignorance_is_bliss View Post
    Amazing work ethic??? You're kidding, right?
    No...read Sammy Hagars book,he says the same
    Clanceman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,209 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

That's the best clip I've seen from the 2004 tour. Almost that entire tour was a complete train wreck, but that was actually pretty decent. The only thing that was weird was the stage interaction--or lack thereof--with Mike. It seemed like neither Al or Ed wanted to even acknowledge him. Granted, it's just one song, but it's hard to enjoy that clip knowing all the bullshit that was going on before and after.

I might have to look to see if there are more clips from that night, though, because I know the two dates I saw in 2004 were horrid.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I meant it!

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    If you mean, "He didn't call in before the show to say, "Guys...you're gonna have to do this one without me..." than you're on the money....but that really might be the most ridiculous post I've ever read here on this site in my 8 years of being here. And I say that with all due respect to you as a new member, man.

There were about 40-50 shows on that tour which Ed "missed". He was there physically, yes. But he wasn't there on so many other levels.

It is cool to see VH rockin on a stripped down stage. And Ed plays pretty good in this clip. No sustainer! And isn't it kind of scary to realize how thin he was on that tour. He looked...rough.
    Look,if that was THE most ridiculous post you ever read,then in due respect back to you,sorry.If you want clarification,then you can ask.I am a bit surprised that while you have been watching and posting on here for 8 years that you've found that statement to be the most ridiculous.You say,''If you mean,"He didn't call in before the show to say, "Guys...you're gonna have to do this one without me..." than you're on the money....'',so then I'm on the money.So would be Sammy Hagar,who I practically quoted from his book,who also was very critical of Eddies condition on that tour.
    I have to say that I know there are a lot of life long Van Halen fans here.I am no more or less a fan than you are,regardless of how new I am to this forum.I grew up in Southern Cal and have family members and friends that saw the band at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in 77',and a cousin that frequented Gazzarris on the strip,knew a guy that knew a guy that had them playing at their prom at the Buena Park Hotel.Im 46,and wont tell you ''I was there'',since I wasnt at those events.In fact,a friend of mine had the first record,we were 13,I didnt own it,I'd go to his house to listen to it.I was a freshman in high school when I bought my first VH record when it came out.Ive bought every record on release(Sammy's and 3 as well) since then.I haven't missed a tour since WACF.I was at the US festival.I have bought plenty from the VH store,and have met Jeff in Cabo,while at Sammys Bday.I have collected Wolfgang guitars,and own quite a bit of Van Halen memorabilia and recordings,cd,gold cd,vinyl,etc.I have the smoking baby tattoo and the VH logo on my arm.I only say any of this so you might not think Im some guy that just heard about Van Halen from someone and that they were on tour and and ran on here to create an account.I am not ignorant nor am I naive.Just in case that may be behind this,''but that really might be the most ridiculous post I've ever read here on this site in my 8 years of being here. And I say that with all due respect to you as a new member, man.''
    I was at 3 shows on that 2004 tour,San Jose,Portland and Vegas.I had the 5 star VIP front row package which included the sound check(in San Jose and Portland),which happened hours before the shows.Now,I have seen Eddie in every state and condition over the years.On this tour,he was probably never worse,in regards to alcohol/chemical abuse.There are guys from bands(Aerosmith for one)that would miss shows,cancel shows,tours in better condition.When we got to sound check,the question was there,''how will he be able to get back here in like 3 1/2 hours to perform?'' I mean,even be standing.But lo and behold,he'd be there performing.It didn't even make sense.Yes,I was just as amazed by that,as I was when he has played his solos perfectly on other tours and occassions.Sammy talks about it in his book.Alex and Eddie were raised by a father with a hard working immigrant spirit.That no matter if drunk,sick,bad hips,neck injuries(Alex),whatever,you show up and play.That is an aspect of strong ''work ethic''that Eddie has.Doesn't mean great work or sober work.I wouldn't read a hell of a lot into the comment.I'm simply defending that I'm not nuts for stating it.Through Eddies illness,he still showed,and I appreciate that.I would've hated to fly in for the show,and there not be one.Again,in that condition it defied physics that he could perform at all.Hey,after reading Sammy Hagars book,and that he commended him(one of his few compliments),it confirmed what I had been thinking.
    I hope I didn't piss you or anyone else off here.Just how I feel.I know there are a lot of diehard fans here,and I know I'm new to the forums.It's been pretty cool reading the posts and participating for the first time and sharing in the excitement of what should be a great reemergence of the ''Mighty Van Halen''
    Clanceman

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

You do know where the

enter

button

is

located

on your

keyboard

right?

I'm going to try and read through that post and come up with a response. If I don't respond in 20 minutes call me an ambulance because I'm probably on the floor having a minor stroke.
    ---

Alright well I read through a some of your post and the main thesis I'm picking up on, if you will, is Eddie was a trooper because he battled through his "illness" by not cancelling shows.

So I'm supposed to pat Ed on the back for drinking a bottle of vodka and getting on stage and making it through a show? Is that what you're saying?

I highly doubt my boss would accept the excuse, upon me coming into work drunk, of "Hey boss at...at....at least I'm here.....boss....I'm....I....I'm he....I'm hereee.....I...I havea....a....a...grate....wo....work....hethic... ..ethic"

I understand it's an illness and addiction for some people. But I don't think Ed should get any points for pressing on every night and doing the same thing which was essentially getting wrecked before playing a show. There's a point where work ethic is left in the dust and sheer irresponsibility takes over.

That shouldn't be praised. I would have had more admiration for the guy for saying, "Look folks....I'm in terrible shape. My life is going off the rails. I need help. Sorry but the tour is either postponed or cancelled."

And since you brought up Sammy's book where he touches upon Ed's work ethic. There is also another section where Sammy talks about the fact that virtually none of them could get out of doing that tour. They basically had to go through with it.

And I wasn't attacking you for being a new member. I just honestly thought that was the most ridiculous post I have ever read on this site. That we should praise Ed's work ethic. Sorry a good work ethic is showing up SOBER and playing a kick ass show for your fans.

Not showing up to the gig and drinking a bottle of wine, squirting lemons in your eyes, yelling at the roadies, and then getting on stage to try and make it through a show. That's a TERRIBLE work ethic, my friend.
    Last edited by MF5150; 01.15.12 at 09:33 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Last time around for the Sammy era, sorry it wasn't what it could have been. Glad Ed is better now.
    Clanceman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default It's cool

You do know where the

enter

button

is

located

on your

keyboard

right?

I'm going to try and read through that post and come up with a response. If I don't respond in 20 minutes call me an ambulance because I'm probably on the floor having a minor stroke.
    No response needed man,really.There's no debate here.Yeah,my response is long because my short comment before got ''most ridiculous'' post in 8 years.Why all the smart ass stuff man?
    Clanceman

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Clance65 View Post
    No response needed man,really.There's no debate here.Yeah,my response is long because my short comment before got ''most ridiculous'' post in 8 years.Why all the smart ass stuff man?
    Because I am a smartass. If you're here long enough you'll get to know that I don't mean any of it in a disrespectful way.

Read the rest of my post, man. I explain myself there.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 11
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You do know where the

enter

button

is

located

on your

keyboard

right?

---

Alright well I read through a some of your post and the main thesis I'm picking up on, if you will, is Eddie was a trooper because he battled through his "illness" by not cancelling shows.

So I'm supposed to pat Ed on the back for drinking a bottle of vodka and getting on stage and making it through a show? Is that what you're saying?

I highly doubt my boss would accept the excuse, upon me coming into work drunk, of "Hey boss at...at....at least I'm here.....boss....I'm....I....I'm he....I'm hereee.....I...I havea....a....a...grate....wo....work....hethic... ..ethic"

I understand it's an illness and addiction for some people. But I don't think Ed should get any points for pressing on every night and doing the same thing which was essentially getting wrecked before playing a show. There's a point where work ethic is left in the dust and sheer irresponsibility takes over.

That shouldn't be praised. I would have had more admiration for the guy for saying, "Look folks....I'm in terrible shape. My life is going off the rails. I need help. Sorry but the tour is either postponed or cancelled."

And since you brought up Sammy's book where he touches upon Ed's work ethic. There is also another section where Sammy talks about the fact that virtually none of them could get out of doing that tour. They basically had to go through with it.

And I wasn't attacking you for being a new member. I just honestly thought that was the most ridiculous post I have ever read on this site. That we should praise Ed's work ethic. Sorry a good work ethic is showing up SOBER and playing a kick ass show for your fans.

Not showing up to the gig and drinking a bottle of wine, squirting lemons in your eyes, yelling at the roadies, and then getting on stage to try and make it through a show. That's a TERRIBLE work ethic, my friend.
    You say ''Not showing up to the gig and drinking a bottle of win''...when did he not show up?....And I didn't praise him,it was remarkable based on his condition.And you're disagreeing with Sammy Hagar as well.I didn't get into how he treated roadies,etc,etc...I just said what I said,the same exact thing that Sammy Hagar said.Poll the people that came to the shows and see if they would have preferred an announcement,after travel,anticipation and thousands of dollars,that because of Eddies condition,there would be no show tonight.The shows could've been better,but I still enjoyed myself.Listen man,at face value,go back to ''I'm on the money'' and call it good.Im glad Ed is sober.I've seen him drunk and sober,sober is better,we all get that and I don't disagree.And the contract was in place so no one could pull out of the tour...no tour no money.Insurance covers the losses of a missed show.Dude never called in sick.All I'm saying.If you saw him,and I'm assuming you were like 16,and you probably did see him,so you'd agree it was remarkable he made it to each show-never cancelling.The end.Agree or not-due respect or none.You can define Eddies terrible work ethic ''my friend''
    Clanceman