Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,357 Posts

Default What would you do with money left in a change machine?

I was in a hurry the other day and went thru one of those self check outs at the store.

bought a bunch of miscellaneous stuff but something was wrong with my order and it kept telling me to wait.. that an associate was being called to help me..I think they were being called because I had a large item that couldn't be put in the bagging section so I chose the "skip bagging area"option

anyway..associate never came so I hit cancel and tried to check out again... this time chose the cash back option becuase I knew that I was not going to have time to stop at the bank now... and the damned thing told me an associate was being called to help me with my order

the associate then called from over at her "perch" that it was OK just proceed as normal and she hit a couple of buttons and my check out went thru

so i finished the check out I picked up my coupons and receipt and looked but there was no cash in the file...I figured that I had not hit the cash back thingy the second time and because of the delay was in an even bigger hurry by this time to get out of the store

unloaded the bags of groceries in my car but the whole weird double check out thing was bugging me so I quickly looked at the receipt....it had taken $40 out for cash back after all!

go I hightailed it back to the self check out...I immediately noticed a woman using the same check out and she gave me a rather startled look

I explained to the girl at the check out that I had not seen the money dispensed but my receipt clearly showed 40 bucks withdrawn...the woman in line continued to give me weird looks and I told the cashier that I thought that the woman had seen what had happened

but the cashier just took me over to the head cashier to tell me that they would count up the drawers and see what happened

later I get a call from the store manager who says they looked at the security tape and after I left a woman crossed over from the other self check out lines,,,,struck up a conversation with the woman who was in line i had used and took the money from the changer

here's my dilemma.....I was gone about 2 minutes...in fact, on my way in, I had to have passed the woman who took the money! so she must have seen me ....not only did she make no attempt to tell the cashier about the money...she walked right past me and didn't bring it to my attention either

the woman in line clearly knew what had happened and said nothing and the cashier did nothing to assist

but the manager says the woman used her store card to pay for her goods and if I called the police they could release the identity of the woman who took the money to the police

On one hand...I obviously did not wait long enough for the dispenser to send out the money and did not look carefully at my receipt until I was at the trunk of my car...my bad....but this woman KNEW it wasn't her money..she made a direct effort to get over there to get it..and it's not like it was found on the pavement somewhere... it was still in the dispenser and I was still on the premises...there is a clear way to determine whose money it was

but here's the thing....I would have to call the police to get the woman's identity revealed...the store will not do it without the police getting involved

I think..maybe I should give the woman a break?...times are tough and perhaps she really needed the money

but on the other hand....how does this woman know that that $40 wasn't the only money I had? and earmarked for the kids lunches or something....she certainly didn't care about my situation

now if I had found the money I know what I would have done.....because I have found money like that and turned it over to the cashier...last year I found a winning $2 lottery ticket on a convenience store floor and put the money in the salvation army bucket

just burns me that she would take the $40 right in front of another person...in fact, went out of her way to get to the changer machine ( and probably made up a story for the woman in line that she knew me and was going to get the money to me)

so should I call the police? She knew that money wasn't hers and made NO attempt to turn it over to the store...but I share responsibility because I did not look at my receipt until I went to the car

I just know that I could never do that kind of thing and this being a small community I would love to know who that person was.
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 01.15.12 at 10:49 AM.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

will the store manager give you her name and number? I'd probably give her a call and tell her that you know what happened and if the money was not returned with a great deal of speed that you'd call the cops.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

If the lady who took your money paid with some sort of card when she was checking out, it should be pretty easy to figure out who she is. Obviously the lady is a kink and needs a good dose of karma... If I noticed you didn't take your money, you would have not made it two steps without me attempting to get your attention about what was going on.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:18 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Unfortunately, probably just have to write it off, unless you want to get the police involved. If I found money like that, and I knew who lost it, I'd give it back. If it's on the ground and I didn't see who dropped it, it's mine.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Unfortunately, probably just have to write it off, unless you want to get the police involved. If I found money like that, and I knew who lost it, I'd give it back. If it's on the ground and I didn't see who dropped it, it's mine.
    Agreed. If you have to get the police involved, it's not worth it for $40.00.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

On the other hand, 40 bucks buys a hell of a night over on the intersection of Beach Blvd and Ball Rd.

Quite the conundrum here.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    will the store manager give you her name and number? I'd probably give her a call and tell her that you know what happened and if the money was not returned with a great deal of speed that you'd call the cops.
    the manager will only give her name to the police IF I make a report

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    If the lady who took your money paid with some sort of card when she was checking out, it should be pretty easy to figure out who she is. Obviously the lady is a kink and needs a good dose of karma... If I noticed you didn't take your money, you would have not made it two steps without me attempting to get your attention about what was going on.
    that was it...the money was not there when I looked but I was in such a hurry to get out of there because the damn machine kept calling the "associate" that I hurried out too fast
    she did use her store rewards card,,,,that's how they know they can identify her....what frosts me is that it's not even like she got in line and the money was there....she crossed over to the line I had just left to get the money...so I was probably still not to the exit when she got it....but all she did was make some small talk with the woman who did just enter the line I was in so that she could scoop up the money first

exactly,,,,it's on the ground it could be anyone's... I'd still look around tho....but it was in the changer and it was OBVIOUS who it belonged to..AND she had to have passed me on the way out as I re entered the building!

.but not worth me calling the cops over...hopefully karma will be a bitch

I'm just sensitive to people being dishonest because I have found money like this and turned it over to the cashier

and also because I have been stolen from so much this year (damned metal scrappers ) that I have just received a non renewal notice from my company insurer...I have to find a new insurance company fast!

beware ... the very things to need an insurance company for are the very things they will cancel you for

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

I know what I would do because I've done it. If I see it happening, I'll holler after the person about it. When I've found bills in the dispenser, I give it to the cashier.

Not sure about the cops. Pros and cons there. Figure how much an hour of your time is worth, and then figure out how many hours it will take to pursue it. It may not be worth it for $40. I guess it depends on how much the principle is worth.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yep
    .....seems the cops will either do nothing or cause more problems---the amount of money is under felony level and most Police Depts won't waste their time ect !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 798 Times in 383 Posts

Premium Member

Is getting the police involved over $40 really worth it? You will make an enemy for life, calling the police on someone who found $40 just sitting there. It was you, after all, who left the money behind. Yes, the right thing for them to do would have been to turn the money in, but you simply should not expect that from people.
    If you think that $40 is worth all the the trouble that it could potentially bring by calling the cops and persecuting this person then go for it. I think that I would simply cut my losses though and try to be more careful next time with my money.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Is getting the police involved over $40 really worth it? You will make an enemy for life, calling the police on someone who found $40 just sitting there. It was you, after all, who left the money behind. Yes, the right thing for them to do would have been to turn the money in, but you simply should not expect that from people.
    If you think that $40 is worth all the the trouble that it could potentially bring by calling the cops and persecuting this person then go for it. I think that I would simply cut my losses though and try to be more careful next time with my money.
    well, no I don't want to call the police and I won't

but this isn't the type of person I would be sad to call an enemy

and she didn't "just find it there" she had to see me leave and then saw the money dispense ( or whatever you would call it) because she went out of her way to walk over to the change machine in another lane, distract the woman who had entered the line in order to get the money for herself .....and I would have been in clear view of her as I walked away and again when she passed me as I reentered the store to check the machine

if I was long gone, maybe I could see her position...but as I said before...how did that woman know that that $40 wasn't all I had left to my name? she just didn't give a shit She had $40 extra bucks Whoo Hoo!

and she's certainly not someone of such stellar character that I would be "persecuting" her!

as for not expecting that people would do the right thing? I hope I never get to that stage ( but this woman isn't helping matters!)

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    well, no I don't want to call the police and I won't

but this isn't the type of person I would be sad to call an enemy

and she didn't "just find it there" she had to see me leave and then saw the money dispense ( or whatever you would call it) because she went out of her way to walk over to the change machine in another lane, distract the woman who had entered the line in order to get the money for herself .....and I would have been in clear view of her as I walked away and again when she passed me as I reentered the store to check the machine

if I was long gone, maybe I could see her position...but as I said before...how did that woman know that that $40 wasn't all I had left to my name? she just didn't give a shit She had $40 extra bucks Whoo Hoo!

and she's certainly not someone of such stellar character that I would be "persecuting" her!

as for not expecting that people would do the right thing? I hope I never get to that stage ( but this woman isn't helping matters!)

It is on her soul, daisy. Do not waste yourself on matters of supposed justice over it. I'm sure that you have far better things to do than prosecute this person over $40, or even be angry over it. If you have children of your own then do not set that example for them.
    It's probably little consolation, but that woman really didn't get away with anything.

Also. You keep saying how did she know that it wasn't your last $40. Well, how do you know that her own daughter isn't ill and that the $40 is all that woman had to buy the medicine. Probably not, but you cannot be sure. Maybe you blessed her. Don't be angry. Let it go. Pray for her.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

nah wruff, I'm not angry about it I suppose disappointed is more the feeling..I live in a small town where we have a tendency to count on each other

...if I were angry I would have called the police when the store first said that is what would have to happen....and I know people who would have gone ballistic in that store...not worth it to me

I like your take that perhaps it was a blessing to her...but I doubt that Lord would have anything to do with a situation where someone sneaks out with someone elses money without thinking about how it would affect the other person

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

I like your take that perhaps it was a blessing to her...but I doubt that Lord would have anything to do with a situation where someone sneaks out with someone elses money without thinking about how it would affect the other person
    Well, I don't believe that we can really be the judge of that, particularly if your loss of $40 is not much of a hardship on you.
    We are dealing in the hypothetical now, but we do not know how desperate that woman is.

Just maybe if you'd caught that woman in the parking lot and she gave you an explanation and handed the $40 back to you then you'd have felt compelled to tell her to just keep the $40.

You say that you would not be sad to call her your enemy because of what she's done to you, but maybe she is someone who is in a very tough place right now and that you'd rather be blessed to call a friend. We don't know. We really can't judge.
    I bet that if you forgive her for what she's done though that you will be blessed.
    Last edited by Wruff_ajax; 01.15.12 at 08:02 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

This thread reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me 15 or so years ago. I was eating lunch at a local diner and found $40 on the floor under the table. Truthfully, I debated on what to do. It's a small town but this place turns a bunch of tables and being close to I-95 does a lot of out-of town business so what are the odds that the owner is even known? Ultimately, the money was not mine though so I gave it to the waitress who said she knew who had been there before me & would call him. Long story short, it was his, he came back, got it, thanked me & went on his way. Several years later we met again & to this day he is among my closest friends & a guy I would trust to no end. I don't know if he remembers that $40 and I don't care if it had been $4000, no amount would be worth the friendship our families have developed ovr the last 10 years.

I shared that to say this: There's nothing hypothetical or relative about your situation. Her level of desperation has no bearing on whether stealing is right or wrong. I don't know you Daisy but I dare say that her ill gotten gain will also be her loss as had she been in need & approached you about it, I imagine you would have helped her & who knows where that would have led. She does deserve to be forgiven & prayed for though.

As for getting the police involved, probably not worth it & doubtful you'd even get your money back then I imagine. Write it off as an expensive lesson in impatience/carelessness. Sorry.

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford