Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

10.26.16 @ 07:40 AM
    Liked 1,291 Times in 407 Posts

Default Eddie Van Halen: The Complete 1979 Interview (from Jas Obrecht via Kevin)

Jas obviously has a little more to do than most of us, so he's not quite up there with his number of posts, so he is not able to start a new thread so he asked me to create this one on his behalf (which I am more than happy to do so).

From Jas:

Hi Kevin --

I just posted a transcription of a rare interview with Eddie from December 1979. This one is massive (9,000 words) and never made it into Guitar Player magazine, since 16 days later we did another interview that was the basis of his 1980 Guitar Player magazine cover story.

This one was done in December 1979, just after Van Halen finished its second world tour and laid down the basic tracks for Women and Children First. Eddie is very candid, going deep into how he builds his guitars, hand rewinds PAF's and dips them in wax, sets his intonation, and other guitar-related issues, including his pedalboard and amps. He also vents his frustrations at the first VH clone guitars hitting the market and with other guitarists copping his style or snubbing him on the road. Near the end, he previews Women and Children First -- at this point, he's not even sure what some of the songs will be titled. It's an interesting snapshot in time.

And here is the link to the article:

ENJOY! ...and tell your employer that you'll be busy for about 45 minutes!

Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes &,, and

Official Van Halen Store link:

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page:!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread :

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

10.25.16 @ 09:15 PM
    Liked 335 Times in 205 Posts

Thanks Kevin!
    Very cool!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!

My bio.

"Like" me on Facebook!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 2,515 Times in 1,321 Posts

Wow this was great! I remember the cut interview but it was great to read the whole thing. If people think Eddie the paranoid guy only surfaced in the 2000's, please read this. You can see the guy exhibited some of the stuff people believe only recently has come to the forefront.

I did read one interesting fact was how many albums VH1 had sold prior to WACF. Eddie was saying 3-4 million. Much more than I thought. I bet by the time Dave left, it was probably around 6-7 million.