VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Default Blogger Bob Lefsetz on "Tattoo"

Music industry blogger Bob Lefsetz just sent this out:

Now if that doesn't make you want to log on to Ticketmaster and buy a ticket you probably don't have a tattoo and never contemplated getting one, you probably graduated from college and are a winner, you never drove a mini-truck, drank a case of beer and wished you were something more but decided that for now, who you are is enough.

Now this is not the unexpected sonic explosion of "Why Can't This Be Love", when Van Halen truly had something to prove with Dave off on a solo career and new singer Sammy Hager in place. Still, if you were ever a fan it satisfies.

Top Forty radio ain't gonna play it, doesn't matter what the reviewers say, they hated the band until everyone suddenly agreed Eddie was one of the greats, this is just for you. Who've waited, who've still believed, that despite your pot belly and thinning hair, despite the sand running through the hourglass, your prayers could still be answered, that deep inside you're still eighteen and it's so fucking great to be alive.

You're sitting there hoping it doesn't suck. And the repetition of the lyric in the chorus is a bit disappointing, Dave never took the easy way out, but then suddenly your butt is squirming in your seat, your arms are in the air, you're dancing, you've wearing a shiteating grin and you're saying to yourself THIS IS FUCKING GREAT!

Now you've got to start with the video, on the band's homepage:

http://www.van-halen.com/

Sure, you miss Michael Anthony, but you get over that pretty quick since Wolfie's aged, but what gets you is the swagger, the essence of what the band always was is still there. Dave knows we're watching and he's doing his best to be the coolest dude on the planet. Still, as always, it's about Eddie. This is what made us all want to pick up the guitar and play. He just looks so fucking COOL! His axe is part of him, the way he bends his knee, how the fuck does he do this?

Meanwhile, they appear to be having fun. You remember fun, right? Sure, the money and the chicks were good, but it meant nothing if that amplified sound didn't make you feel like the most powerful person on earth!

And just when you think it's Dave's monopolizing the track, two and a half minutes into it, Eddie starts to WAIL! His guitar is firing bullets and you're writhing in ecstasy with the pain of being shot.

And it's all so fucking EFFORTLESS!

But it gets better, hang on until the end, just when you think the song is over.... At 4:20, when the track quiets down and Eddie wrings this writhing sound from his guitar, like in "Finish What Ya Started", but this is mellower and so simple yet so utterly perfect.

And the second time through you notice a bit more texture under the track, Eddie was always a keyboard wizard too, never forget "Jump", and you're contemplating whether the track is really that great and then you say, FUCK IT, I LOVE THIS!

I almost bought it, I couldn't take the time to steal it.

Then I wondered, how hip was this band, how of the moment. The Vimeo clip on the homepage stuttered a ton the first time through, could "Tattoo" be on Spotify? OF COURSE!

And I played "5150" until the grooves were gray. Even though I believe the Dave era was better. When they remastered the greatest hits the first time through, back in '96, I couldn't stop playing "And The Cradle Will Rock..."

And it positively will. Any young 'un who sees this video is gonna have to go to the show. This ain't nostalgia, this is as new as an iPhone, but it's positively ALIVE!

Nerds have inherited the world, with their software and gadgets. But in one fell swoop Van Halen has taken it back.

THAT'S THE POWER OF ROCK AND ROLL!

Spotify link: http://open.spotify.com/track/0ewrmw1irthnPNZN4pSJ7N

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 630 Times in 294 Posts

Wow...spot on. I think Bob needs an invite to the links!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Bobby just sign up and join the pot belly and thinning hair crowd here...
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Wow, that's a great article. Bob is one of those guys that makes you want to applaud most of the time, and other times want to just smack him. This isn't one of those times.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.23.12 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This guy nails it. Stop looking for something that's not there and just enjoy it. It's damn good rock n roll. And I'm lovin it! Cant wait for this whole disc to drop.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

great article.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Eruption
    Last Online

10.10.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Music industry blogger Bob Lefsetz just sent this out:

Now if that doesn't make you want to log on to Ticketmaster and buy a ticket you probably don't have a tattoo and never contemplated getting one, you probably graduated from college and are a winner, you never drove a mini-truck, drank a case of beer and wished you were something more but decided that for now, who you are is enough.

Now this is not the unexpected sonic explosion of "Why Can't This Be Love", when Van Halen truly had something to prove with Dave off on a solo career and new singer Sammy Hager in place. Still, if you were ever a fan it satisfies.

Top Forty radio ain't gonna play it, doesn't matter what the reviewers say, they hated the band until everyone suddenly agreed Eddie was one of the greats, this is just for you. Who've waited, who've still believed, that despite your pot belly and thinning hair, despite the sand running through the hourglass, your prayers could still be answered, that deep inside you're still eighteen and it's so fucking great to be alive.

You're sitting there hoping it doesn't suck. And the repetition of the lyric in the chorus is a bit disappointing, Dave never took the easy way out, but then suddenly your butt is squirming in your seat, your arms are in the air, you're dancing, you've wearing a shiteating grin and you're saying to yourself THIS IS FUCKING GREAT!

Now you've got to start with the video, on the band's homepage:

http://www.van-halen.com/

Sure, you miss Michael Anthony, but you get over that pretty quick since Wolfie's aged, but what gets you is the swagger, the essence of what the band always was is still there. Dave knows we're watching and he's doing his best to be the coolest dude on the planet. Still, as always, it's about Eddie. This is what made us all want to pick up the guitar and play. He just looks so fucking COOL! His axe is part of him, the way he bends his knee, how the fuck does he do this?

Meanwhile, they appear to be having fun. You remember fun, right? Sure, the money and the chicks were good, but it meant nothing if that amplified sound didn't make you feel like the most powerful person on earth!

And just when you think it's Dave's monopolizing the track, two and a half minutes into it, Eddie starts to WAIL! His guitar is firing bullets and you're writhing in ecstasy with the pain of being shot.

And it's all so fucking EFFORTLESS!

But it gets better, hang on until the end, just when you think the song is over.... At 4:20, when the track quiets down and Eddie wrings this writhing sound from his guitar, like in "Finish What Ya Started", but this is mellower and so simple yet so utterly perfect.

And the second time through you notice a bit more texture under the track, Eddie was always a keyboard wizard too, never forget "Jump", and you're contemplating whether the track is really that great and then you say, FUCK IT, I LOVE THIS!

I almost bought it, I couldn't take the time to steal it.

Then I wondered, how hip was this band, how of the moment. The Vimeo clip on the homepage stuttered a ton the first time through, could "Tattoo" be on Spotify? OF COURSE!

And I played "5150" until the grooves were gray. Even though I believe the Dave era was better. When they remastered the greatest hits the first time through, back in '96, I couldn't stop playing "And The Cradle Will Rock..."

And it positively will. Any young 'un who sees this video is gonna have to go to the show. This ain't nostalgia, this is as new as an iPhone, but it's positively ALIVE!

Nerds have inherited the world, with their software and gadgets. But in one fell swoop Van Halen has taken it back.

THAT'S THE POWER OF ROCK AND ROLL!

Spotify link: http://open.spotify.com/track/0ewrmw1irthnPNZN4pSJ7N

awesome! That guys shit is legit!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Bob's like the Joe Posnanski (a baseball writer from Kansas City) of music. Never gets a fair amount of recognition but writes great articles, better than most out there.

Cool
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

M~W~M, HBSD, STW
    Last Online

10.09.15 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hit the nail on the head there. Had me looking at my pot belly and hairline while I read it thinking wtf, is he in the room with me?
    She got a doorbell sign that said:
    "bring it or don't ring it."

She's the woman

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Cool article!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Hmmm....I wonder if he reads or is a member at the Links. Some of the comments seem like they were culled from the Tattoo thread. The one that got me thinking on that line was when he mentioned the repitition of the chorus. Seems like he summarized the Tattoo thread perfectly.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Well written. He certainly captured my thoughts on the first single.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Last Online

11.16.12 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Eddie starts to WAIL! His guitar is firing bullets and you're writhing in ecstasy with the pain of being shot."

Um...wtf?

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Nailed it!

Last Online

11.16.12 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Look I like the song as much as the next guy but I wasn't writhing in ecstasy while listening to it. Give me a break. Is this guy a 14 year old girl or what? There's nothing wrong with being realistic about it is there? It's got a cool groove, it's nice to hear them back together and the solo is good but this song is not curing world hunger.
    Christ :lol: