Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.18.15 @ 11:41 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Default Eddie's tone/playing on new Album/Songs discussion

So with Tattoo out what are your guys thoughts?

Tone: So far on the song I feel like its a little too buzzy (3rd channel on the III), but it doesn't have that mid honk that he's had live since 04. I'd like to have a little more bite on the top-end but honestly, its a good rock tone. I almost feel at times he's got a guitar with a sustainer on the track - but that could just be me...

Playing: This is where I think Eddie really shines here. The playing on the song is top notch. I've been listening a lot to Balance era boots and his playing on the solo is kinda reminiscent of that type of playing. He's doing a feel harmonic moves and note runs that I didn't hear him doing on the last few tours, and honestly didn't know that he was able to pull off anymore.

For a single I like it so far - what are your guys thoughts?

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm pretty much in line with you. Too much gain for my tastes, but I love his playing!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Actually I love it!
    I truly feel that Ed changed to a more aggressive sound intentionally. It's the way a lot of rock went. More stripped down with higher gain/ courser distortion alike. It takes a little getting used too, but the more I listen, I'm more jacked about it.
    I particularily like the contrast between the mellow keys and the way they are blended in with the guitar.
    Ed's playing...I totally agree. This is Balance era Eddie which is cool.
    It's got the structure back, and there is not the disjointed feel of III which is one thing I was concerned about.
    Weather it's just the strong direction of Hogarth/Shanks taking control, or Eddie thinking clearly again...whatever. This is the kind of stuff that made VH great in the first place.
    They should all be proud. This is a radio friendly hit no doubt, but so what?
    It's a great tune.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Actually I love it!
    I truly feel that Ed changed to a more aggressive sound intentionally. It's the way a lot of rock went. More stripped down with higher gain/ courser distortion alike. It takes a little getting used too, but the more I listen, I'm more jacked about it.
    I particularily like the contrast between the mellow keys and the way they are blended in with the guitar.
    Ed's playing...I totally agree. This is Balance era Eddie which is cool.
    It's got the structure back, and there is not the disjointed feel of III which is one thing I was concerned about.
    Weather it's just the strong direction of Hogarth/Shanks taking control, or Eddie thinking clearly again...whatever. This is the kind of stuff that made VH great in the first place.
    They should all be proud. This is a radio friendly hit no doubt, but so what?
    It's a great tune.
    This.

EVH's tone is great. Sure its got a bit more gain but paraphrasing we die young... its tastefully done. It feels like a natural progression from the BOV1 tracks. Gain and effects are just right.... no complaint there.

His note selection and attack is supurb. non of that "Catherine" shite. Its a return to form, plain and simple.

Listening to the song reminded me why EVH inspired me so much to pick up the guitar. In terms of songwriting composition, specifically the guitar parts and the solo, its right up there with Hear about it later, Poundcake, Humans Being and Me Wise Magic. I've always loved how Van Halen do thier outros on albums, with that second guitar coming in, adding another layer over the vocals and other insturments and this song is no exception to that.

A quick note about the keys...the keys are understated... noticeable, like Best of Both Worlds (the song), but they also won't be missed live, just like Best of Both Worlds. I hope they don't pipe in the keys live, they won't be needed. I hope they leave them out.

If I was to rate Tattoo, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. My perfect scores will always go to Hear about it later and Humans Being.
    Last edited by ignorance_is_bliss; 01.09.12 at 02:55 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Yeah - honestly - the gain isn't too big of a deal for me. I really dug his tone with the harmonizer on it, so even a bit of that would have been cool, but I think he's got that boss chorus pedal on his board right now, so if there's any shimmer its coming from that thing instead of an Eventide Pitchfactor...

The best thing is his solo - I totally agree, its a complete and utter return to form, nothing like the stuff he's offered us the past 10 years...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Still not a fan of the buzzsaw tone he's using.

The solo is Ed....been a while.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Oh man, I'm so glad he's ditched the Eventide detune sound. It's awesome, but it's dated. It's 2012, and at the very least I want a more modern production sound outta this new VH. Looks like I'm getting it too!

Gosh, ignorance_is_bliss...I forgot about Catherine and Rise. Thank God we're past that now!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

how are you guys hearing the full song? where are you hearing the whole thing? I thought it came out tomorrow and only a little snippet was available.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    how are you guys hearing the full song? where are you hearing the whole thing? I thought it came out tomorrow and only a little snippet was available.
    You don't go into main much do you? lol.

Heres the link to the site in new zealand where its been up for the last 11 hours.

http://www.digirama.co.nz/albumdetai...ediaID=3109790

It's all there in main.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Still not a fan of the buzzsaw tone he's using.

The solo is Ed....been a while.
    In my experience, one can either get a buzzsaw tone from a 5150, or lower the mids for a metal tone. I think his detuner did a lot to smooth it out in the Balance days, but he doesn't seem to be using it anymore. It just sounds like he's more or less plugging in to me.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Jedi - while I agree that the +/- 9-10 cents on both side detune might be dated, I think 3-4 cents would be a good addition to his tone - like Danielle said, 5150's do have that buzz saw thing going on a lot and detune/chorus smooth them out a little. I love that old tone with the detune though - I had a approximation of that going on at church yesterday...

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheVanlaing View Post
    Jedi - while I agree that the +/- 9-10 cents on both side detune might be dated, I think 3-4 cents would be a good addition to his tone.
    Yeah, I wouldn't have minded maybe 3-4 cents.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know guys.... I think I'm definitely hearing some detune/signal delay on the new tone! Much more subdued, but it's there. Wouldn't be surprising, since he's used one form or another of detune on every album since VHII. Especially listen to the solo -- I'm about 99.9% sure it's in there a little. Also, recent videos from 5150 (like when he was on Lopez Tonight) clearly show an Eventide Harmonizer(s) in his studio/rig, so it's very possible he's using them.

Ya, the new tone is a little buzzy, but it works with the song. Actually, it sounds a heck of a lot like the overall tone on the 2004 stuff, but I don't mean that in a bad way at all. It's got that little bit of midrange honk to it, but not too much. It's different from classic VH, but I like it.

The main thing though -- his playing is smokin' again, much like it was during the first half of the 90's!!! I'm getting really excited to hear the rest of the album now! And I'm really liking the new production too. It's thoroughly modernized (definitely something I was hoping they'd do), but it still sounds like good ol' Van Halen and retains their character as a band.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 01.09.12 at 05:13 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I don't know guys.... I think I'm definitely hearing some detune/signal delay on the new tone! Much more subdued, but it's there. Wouldn't be surprising, since he's used one form or another of detune on every album since VHII. Especially listen to the solo -- I'm about 99.9% sure it's in there a little. Also, recent videos from 5150 (like when he was on Lopez Tonight) clearly show an Eventide Harmonizer(s) in his studio/rig, so it's very possible he's using them.

Ya, the new tone is a little buzzy, but it works with the song. Actually, it sounds a heck of a lot like the overall tone on the 2004 stuff, but I don't mean that in a bad way at all. It's got that little bit of midrange honk to it, but not too much. It's different from classic VH, but I like it.

The main thing though -- his playing is smokin' again, much like it was during the first half of the 90's!!! I'm getting really excited to hear the rest of the album now! And I'm really liking the new production too. It's thoroughly modernized (definitely something I was hoping they'd do), but it still sounds like good ol' Van Halen and retains their character as a band.
    MRJ, brother! You nailed it! lol. I think it's much more in the final mix though if there is any Harmonizer. Just the typical fattening up of things.
    It's still a totally prevalent tool in the studio though not so wet in the mix as say the 80's. I've gotta listen to the track again, but I think the keyboard's modulation and the way it's blended in the mix is imparting that Harmonized sound. When you listen to the fretted 5th A harmonic he adds to the chords it sound pretty clean, where with harmonizer, it can sound a little more open, if I can describe it that way. More chiming, but this sounds tight and defined.... but I'll listen again. Hell, that's actually one thing I loved about the keyboard EVH stuff, is even though it was keys, he always had a double of the killer sounding guitar underneath which IMO gave him an edge over all the other cheesy pussout "rock" of the mid to late 80's.
    Like even though I couldn't stand the lyrics, When It's Love from a instrumental production standpoint is very well done.
    Dunno...Maybe it's just because I've done soundtrack work, but I have an appreciation for that kind of stuff.
    As much as I love to crank heavy guitar stuff, there's something to be said for the subtle stuff too.
    Shit...Right now if you went to my YT page, there's pretty much only bluesey Dobro, and soundtrack stuff I've done at the moment., but next month I'm uploading a whole mess of real hard rockin' stuff I've been doing, so maybe it's just phases, getting older, or more broad in tastes....Right now, I'm loving this tune, the sound, everything.
    It's still Ed, but finally a different, still great EVH.
    I'm so thankful that he's re-emerged and put out something great.
    If he was still scared and needed vindication after the horrible reception of III...This is it.
    Well done Edward! Mission accomplished!
    Last edited by we die young; 01.09.12 at 05:48 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    MRJ, brother! You nailed it! lol. I think it's much more in the final mix though if there is any Harmonizer. Just the typical fattening up of things.
    It could definitely be just in the final mix -- with the newer producers working this one, I'm guessing they brought their modern production methods in too. Favorites of most engineers right now are the Eventide Plugin Pack (which emulates the H3000 and other harmonizers) and the Waves Doubler plugin, which seems to be used on freaking EVERYTHING nowadays, and sounds very good -- much like the Eventide Hardware units.

So it could DEFINITELY be the old Harmonizers, or a similar plugin added in production. We'll have to see if Ed's got an Eventide in his rack for the upcoming tour... that would probably give us a definitive answer one way or another!