Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 140 Times in 72 Posts

Default New Songs - Let's be real here...

I'd like to preface this by saying I am excited to listen to a new Roth VH album. But I think we need to discuss this ahead of time about our expectations of the sound vs. what we will most likely hear starting Tuesday.

1. Roth is 28 years older and his voice wasn't that great in the beginning. He's not going to have the range he did the last time we experienced 1984 and prior.

2. Mike is not there either so the same (if any) harmonies won't be on this album either.

3. The booze and the younger lifestyle that influences artists songs/sounds won't be there either. It gets harder to "find it" when creating new stuff over the years.

I think that being said, we have to accept the fact that this album in some key ways will not sound like CVH. I wish/hope it would but I have to be a realist.

That doesn't mean that's a bad thing. I think a key point is was Dave said back at the 2007 press conference that this is not a reunion. This is a NEW band. Of course we laughed or rolled our eyes to that statement. We just wanted Mikey back.

But what he said I think gives perspective to what we will hear. It's a band with a different makeup (wolfie) and different circumstances (Dave's much older now).

They probably know they can't sound exactly like the old days for some of the above reasons and I believe they will choose NOT TO in alot of ways on this album. I know they are revisiting old demo's but they obviously will rewrite/adapt some of the songs to what they can do now. We should realize that and not try to do a hardcore comparison to classic CVH days.....it will only be a killjoy for what we are about to get. This is VH 2012 (4.0).

Just sayin'...

Stephen
    Last edited by SLAMMERS; 01.08.12 at 07:16 PM.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

imo this album is something simply made for the fans. the die hard fans know the reworked songs.

in all truth im more curious than excited about the new cd , if they did this 10 years earlier with mikey id probably be pissing red black and white in anticipation.

the only thing ill say is i hope theres at least 3 or 4 completely new songs none of us have ever heard before.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Expect shit, get roses. Working GREAT so far.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hey im completely content with what ive heard....if they had never put out another album or tour i'd be fine with that too.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    imo this album is something simply made for the fans. the die hard fans know the reworked songs.

I don't believe that at all. I think there is a genuine fire in them to be doing this for themselves as much as any other reason. In those videos from Thursday night I saw an Ed that I haven't seen since the '91 tour.

I'm not really sure what the 2007 was about but I definitely think this one is about really wanting to make and play music. I predict a follow-up album within two years.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I don't believe that at all. I think there is a genuine fire in them to be doing this for themselves as much as any other reason. In those videos from Thursday night I saw an Ed that I haven't seen since the '91 tour.

I'm not really sure what the 2007 was about but I definitely think this one is about really wanting to make and play music. I predict a follow-up album within two years.
    I agree. Eddie did seem genuinely happy in all of the clips I've seen. You could tell he was really enjoying playing. They all seemed pretty happy to be performing together. As long as this new album does well with the fans, I think we can expect more music. They've been back together since '07, so I think any major problems between Dave and the brothers have been worked out. People will say anything they're doing now is just a cash grab. I think that's BS.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    ...I predict a follow-up album within two years.
    Don't jinx it!!!
    Last edited by ignorance_is_bliss; 01.08.12 at 08:00 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:47 PM
    Liked 394 Times in 176 Posts

Yeah, I agree. Playing a 250 seat club show and inviting special guests from fansites is no longer in the cash grab realm. That's in the realm of doing everything right...make fun music, have fun playing it, get the entertainment/music out to the fans (video teasers, audio interview teasers, the single, an old school club show, music video of single, etc) and in all that will then come the money in big fat checks. If it doesn't, hey, it was fun doing it all still and not a cash grab .

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLAMMERS View Post
    I'd like to preface this by saying I am excited to listen to a new Roth VH album. But I think we need to discuss this ahead of time about our expectations of the sound vs. what we will most likely hear starting Tuesday.

1. Roth is 28 years older and his voice wasn't that great in the beginning. He's not going to have the range he did the last time we experienced 1984 and prior.

2. Mike is not there either so the same (if any) harmonies won't be on this album either.

3. The booze and the younger lifestyle that influences artists songs/sounds won't be there either. It gets harder to "find it" when creating new stuff over the years.

I think that being said, we have to accept the fact that this album in some key ways will not sound like CVH. I wish/hope it would but I have to be a realist.

That doesn't mean that's a bad thing. I think a key point is was Dave said back at the 2007 press conference that this is not a reunion. This is a NEW band. Of course we laughed or rolled our eyes to that statement. We just wanted Mikey back.

But what he said I think gives perspective to what we will hear. It's a band with a different makeup (wolfie) and different circumstances (Dave's much older now).

They probably know they can't sound exactly like the old days for some of the above reasons and I believe they will choose NOT TO in alot of ways on this album. I know they are revisiting old demo's but they obviously will rewrite/adapt some of the songs to what they can do now. We should realize that and not try to do a hardcore comparison to classic CVH days.....it will only be a killjoy for what we are about to get. This is VH 2012 (4.0).

Just sayin'...

Stephen
    Bravo. Could not have said it better. If some people expect to hear the Classic VH sound you may be disappointed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:47 PM
    Liked 394 Times in 176 Posts

I know I'll hear something similar to classic van halen in at least one track....She's The Woman. Will be a little different, just a little, but still it'll be them if you know what I mean. Can't wait to hear it, sounded so good (really just like back in 78) at the Cafe Wha? gig.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLAMMERS View Post

Just sayin'...

Stephen
    I don't think Dave's voice is going to sound any worse than it did on Me Wise Magic or Can't Get This Stuff No More. Good guitar work saved those songs.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Oh, and I think good press for the band and Wolfe would help get a second album. If the critics are positive about this version of VH, and the album does decent, I would say that we might get a second album.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen|Fair Warning|1984
    Favorite VH Song

Panama|Mean Street
    Last Online

02.10.12 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Youre over analyzing it buddy.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the sky, Humans Being
    Last Online

05.27.15 @ 08:46 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

i personally think i will like roth's voice now. i think it gives VH a different, yet familiar sound. to me, from the 30 second clip it sounds like it did in 1996, which is good in my opinion
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.facebook.com/azmythband
    www.myspace.com/azmythband
    www.soundclick.com/azmythus
    www.azmythmusic.com

"Does anyone elses grandmother drink bacon grease?"

"I could barely see the ham, from the steam comin off of it, i reached down, between its legs, and cut a piece off" ... "Hamina"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

Part of the fun of waiting for a new record back in the day was you knew
    they were going to surprise you somehow. Mostly it was wondering what Ed
    was going to come up with next. There's still that aspect, but I think we're
    all more curious to see what the band sounds like now and what kind of
    songs we're going to get. I don't have any other expectations than for
    it to be a good effort, but am hoping it kicks ass like only they can.

I've been digging through old music lately to try and quell the jones,
    but nothing - not Mr. Big, not Extreme, not even OU812 or 5150 is doing it.
    Just want to hear it.