Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

07.29.12 @ 06:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Why couldn't they have played the Super Bowl?

To start this thread on a epic and historic day is probably not the right thing, but....

Maybe this has already been brought up, but I'm a huge sports fan so it seemed perfect after learning of the album release date.

The Super Bowl is the Sunday before the release date, it just seemed like a perfect match. Just think of the PR they could have got from that and album sales.

Just a thought, and sorry if it's been talked about already.
    When people ask me what my daughter's name is, I take pride in saying, "Halen, as in Van"

7/26/1995 Balance Tour Nashville
    8/2/1998 Van Halen III Tour Nashville
    8/3/2002 Nashville (Sammy and Dave)
    9/20/2004 Moline, IL
    3/5/2008 Cincinnati, OH
    2/18/12 Louisiville A Different Kind of Truth Tour

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

No. Playing the superbowl has never been discussed here.

Sent from my Vodafone 845 using Tapatalk

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those of you that don't know Madonna is "performing" during the halftime of the Super Bowl. You can now vomit. That dudes muscular arms scares me.

VH would have been awesome and wouldn't have done anything stupid on TV like the ManBander Timberdick did years ago.
    When people ask me what my daughter's name is, I take pride in saying, "Halen, as in Van"

9/20/2004 Moline, IL
    3/5/2008 Cincinnati, OH

Last Online

02.07.12 @ 02:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Madonna was booked before Interscope-

Quote Originally Posted by chevy5150 View Post
    To start this thread on a epic and historic day is probably not the right thing, but....

Maybe this has already been brought up, but I'm a huge sports fan so it seemed perfect after learning of the album release date.

The Super Bowl is the Sunday before the release date, it just seemed like a perfect match. Just think of the PR they could have got from that and album sales.

Just a thought, and sorry if it's been talked about already.
    Madonna was booked before Interscope deal was "tattooed" let's pray that the new album,tour, ect will be awesome so next year it's a no brainier.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 1,941 Times in 786 Posts

Premium Member

I think VH has a good chance of playing the 2013 SB in New Orleans.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Madonna has bigger arms than Big Poppa Pump Scott Steiner.

Sorry had to throw an obscure wrestling reference since she is as fake as wrestling. Got a British accent about a week after living there. Wish she would be dry humped to death by Lady Gaga's hermaphradite penis.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

VH has virtually no international recognition or appeal. The SB needs a global star. It's that easy.

Now, I VH could/should do a gig in the SB village the day before or day of the game.

acs

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by acs View Post
    VH has virtually no international recognition or appeal. The SB needs a global star. It's that easy.

Now, I VH could/should do a gig in the SB village the day before or day of the game.

acs
    I don't know about that. Tom Petty did the SB a few years ago, I don't think he's a global star.

The simple answer to the original question is that I'm sure VH was never asked.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

In my opinion, bands don't fare well trying to play live at the super bowl. I saw the who in concert about a year before they played the super bowl. They were fantastic. At the super bowl they sounded horrible. It's too easy to tell they're lip syncing, but they sound horrible if they play live because you're trying to set up a concert in 5 minutes. The sound is never right. etc.

why would VH want to risk that?

Last Online

02.16.12 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Indy where the SB is this year. There was a small push locally for the FOO Fighters. We was informed that the only the NFL picks the half time act. Not the local super bowl host committee. They thought Foo Fighters was to narrow a fan base. They like broader fan appeal as the superbowl is viewed by a very broad demographic. Also learned the the act is selected at least 9-10 month in advance of the game as to coordinate schedules, start to map out the stage the sequence of events of all half time activities as well as rehearse putting up and tearing down stage and signage in small amount of time. So do to the selection time frame (not when it was announced) 10 months ago Van Halen wasn't top of mind. No tour, no album. Some acts have performed with out these but don't have the ?'s around them as to if they actually exisist as we haven't heard of seen them in 4 years.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Madonna has bigger arms than Big Poppa Pump Scott Steiner.

Sorry had to throw an obscure wrestling reference since she is as fake as wrestling. Got a British accent about a week after living there. Wish she would be dry humped to death by Lady Gaga's hermaphradite penis.
    LMAO to this one! I'll have to say that Madonna was kind of cute/sexy when she first hit the scene in the early 80's. You might even say she was a little chubby in the right places. But man did she wreck herself over the years with all of the workout routines. IMO of course, which means jack. And Gaga, well I hear she's building a house within 30 minutes of me with her boyfriend. If I see her around somewhere perhaps I'll ask her to whip it out, just out of curiosity.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by king edward View Post
    I live in Indy where the SB is this year. There was a small push locally for the FOO Fighters. We was informed that the only the NFL picks the half time act. Not the local super bowl host committee. They thought Foo Fighters was to narrow a fan base. They like broader fan appeal as the superbowl is viewed by a very broad demographic. Also learned the the act is selected at least 9-10 month in advance of the game as to coordinate schedules, start to map out the stage the sequence of events of all half time activities as well as rehearse putting up and tearing down stage and signage in small amount of time. So do to the selection time frame (not when it was announced) 10 months ago Van Halen wasn't top of mind. No tour, no album. Some acts have performed with out these but don't have the ?'s around them as to if they actually exisist as we haven't heard of seen them in 4 years.
    Now, the timeframe of the booking, if you are correct, is the first good excuse I've heard.

With all due respect, and remember I'm saying with all due respect, if the Black-Eyed Peas have global recognition then Van Halen should be just fine.

Last year was the worst show ever!

9/20/2004 Moline, IL
    3/5/2008 Cincinnati, OH

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chevy5150 View Post
    Now, the timeframe of the booking, if you are correct, is the first good excuse I've heard.

With all due respect, and remember I'm saying with all due respect, if the Black-Eyed Peas have global recognition then Van Halen should be just fine.

Last year was the worst show ever!
    I agree that last year's show was horrible . . . but to say BEP's don't have international appeal is silly. Let's compare the summary below with VH's activity over the same time period and then let's see what you think when comparing the two choices.

"Since the release of their third album Elephunk in 2003, the group has sold an estimated 65 million records worldwide.[1] Their first worldwide song was "Where Is the Love?" in 2003, which topped 13 charts worldwide. Another single was the European hit "Shut Up". Their next album Monkey Business, was a worldwide success, certified 4 Platinum in the U.S., and spawning two singles, "My Humps" and "Don't Phunk with My Heart".

In 2009, the group became one of only 11 artists to have simultaneously held the No. 1 and No. 2 spots on the Billboard Hot 100, with their singles "Boom Boom Pow" and "I Gotta Feeling"; these two singles topped the chart for an unprecedented 26 consecutive weeks in 2009. The album later produced a third Hot 100 number-one placement with "Imma Be", making the group one of few to ever place three number one singles on the chart from the same album before being followed with "Rock That Body" & "Meet Me Halfway" which managed to peak in the Top 10 of Hot 100. "I Gotta Feeling" became the first single to sell more than 1 million downloads in the United Kingdom.[2] The Black Eyed Peas were ranked 12th on the Billboard's Decade-End Chart Artist of the Decade, and 7th in the Hot 100 Artists of the Decade.On the 52nd Grammy Awards ceremony, which held in January, 2010 they won 3 awards out of 6 nominations.

In November 2010, they released the album The Beginning. In February 2011, the group performed at the Super Bowl XLV halftime show. The album's first two singles "The Time (Dirty Bit)" and "Just Can't Get Enough" became international hits and topped the charts in many countries. In July 2011, during their promotional tour the group announced that they are taking a break and have denied rumors that the band has broken up"

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acs View Post
    I agree that last year's show was horrible . . . but to say BEP's don't have international appeal is silly. Let's compare the summary below with VH's activity over the same time period and then let's see what you think when comparing the two choices.

"Since the release of their third album Elephunk in 2003, the group has sold an estimated 65 million records worldwide.[1] Their first worldwide song was "Where Is the Love?" in 2003, which topped 13 charts worldwide. Another single was the European hit "Shut Up". Their next album Monkey Business, was a worldwide success, certified 4 Platinum in the U.S., and spawning two singles, "My Humps" and "Don't Phunk with My Heart".

In 2009, the group became one of only 11 artists to have simultaneously held the No. 1 and No. 2 spots on the Billboard Hot 100, with their singles "Boom Boom Pow" and "I Gotta Feeling"; these two singles topped the chart for an unprecedented 26 consecutive weeks in 2009. The album later produced a third Hot 100 number-one placement with "Imma Be", making the group one of few to ever place three number one singles on the chart from the same album before being followed with "Rock That Body" & "Meet Me Halfway" which managed to peak in the Top 10 of Hot 100. "I Gotta Feeling" became the first single to sell more than 1 million downloads in the United Kingdom.[2] The Black Eyed Peas were ranked 12th on the Billboard's Decade-End Chart Artist of the Decade, and 7th in the Hot 100 Artists of the Decade.On the 52nd Grammy Awards ceremony, which held in January, 2010 they won 3 awards out of 6 nominations.

In November 2010, they released the album The Beginning. In February 2011, the group performed at the Super Bowl XLV halftime show. The album's first two singles "The Time (Dirty Bit)" and "Just Can't Get Enough" became international hits and topped the charts in many countries. In July 2011, during their promotional tour the group announced that they are taking a break and have denied rumors that the band has broken up"

No offense, I'm sure all that above is great, but I didn't read it. Just know that I'd be very mad at myself for reserving a spot in my brain for knowing worthless knowledge of the crappy Black Eyed Peas. I'm still trying to delete the small section of my brain that knows who the Kardashians are.

9/20/2004 Moline, IL
    3/5/2008 Cincinnati, OH

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    LMAO to this one! I'll have to say that Madonna was kind of cute/sexy when she first hit the scene in the early 80's. You might even say she was a little chubby in the right places. But man did she wreck herself over the years with all of the workout routines. IMO of course, which means jack. And Gaga, well I hear she's building a house within 30 minutes of me with her boyfriend. If I see her around somewhere perhaps I'll ask her to whip it out, just out of curiosity.
    Don't ask GaGa that. She probably will give you a mushroom stamp on your forehead.