Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

Default nobozos guitar build thread

Okay, just got the Les Paul kit back from the shop today, and the neck is glued in. I hit the body with some 180 grit sanding, and knocked off the sealer they had on it. The body was really rough to the touch, but after sanding, it's nice and smooth.

Here are the pics after 180 grit sanding:

The local luthier did a good job getting the neck set. You will notice that even though the figuring is a veneer, the maple cap is nice and thick. Can't decide whether I want to get a Gibson headstock overlay and reshape the headstock or not.

Here's a couple shots of my "Fender":

This guitar started life as a $119 Squier Bullet series. Someone added a Mighty Mite neck with Fender American staggered tuners. I added Graphtec bridge saddles, a brass sustain block, and pickguard from GuitarFetish, a Dimarzio Tone Zone, and Mexi-Strat Single coils. I'm particularly proud of the headstock decal. Not too bad for an Ink-Jet printer. Found the pictures of the logo on-line, and printed them on waterslide decal paper for model cars. Clearcoat was also Testors Model car Clearcoat.

Will post more pics of the build as I make progress.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Sweet man!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Last Online

Default Update

Just finished sanding with 800 grit. No real progress worth showing in pictures. The guitar is nice and smooth now, with a slight sheen. The flame on the top looks more pronounced now, but it really doesn't show up well in pictures.

Next will be the grain filler and some more sanding, then staining the top and sanding sealer.

More to come...
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Just finished sanding with 800 grit. No real progress worth showing in pictures. The guitar is nice and smooth now, with a slight sheen. The flame on the top looks more pronounced now, but it really doesn't show up well in pictures.

Next will be the grain filler and some more sanding, then staining the top and sanding sealer.

More to come...
    Awesome, man. Keep taking your time, and enjoy the process!

Last Online

So, I put dye on the top last week, and it didn't turn out very good. There were spots around the edges where the dye just would not soak into the wood. My guess is that either the glue that they applied the veneer with soaked through the wood, or the glue they applied the binding with ended up on the top, and soaked into the wood. Either way, it looked like shit. I tried sanding it down to see if i could get it looking decent, but I think I would end up sanding through the veneer before I removed all the dye.

Plan B.

I think now, I will end up painting the top and front of the headstock black, and clearcoat the rest. I just applied the grain filler today, and will sand it off later. (messy, smelly stuff)

I found out that a guy I did some work on a guitar for has a friend with painting equipment. Thinking about having them do the painting if the price is right. If it isn't, I'll just do it myself.

Now that I've decided on painting the guitar, I'm faced with what to do. I had an idea of making a "Stealth" version with flat black on the top and headstock, then doing it up with Wolfgang pickups, and the brass stop tail setup from Guitarfetish.

The other route is to go with the classic gloss black look, and do it up with GFS pickups, and traditional hardware.

Either way, I'm probably not going to do a Gibson headstock overlay, and just keep the headstock stock. Even if the paint turns out perfrect, It'll never be confused with a Gibson due to the location of the pots.

I could always do a striped Les Paul with the same pattern as the one in Eddie's collection(minus the Kahler trem) His was a Les Paul Custom, and mine is a Standard, but close enough.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Bomb the Moon
    Last Online

03.13.12 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nice
    JX4244Q