Register
    Favorite VH Album

Balance/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being/Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts

Default So I want to give my old Mexi-Strat a new coat of paint (or 3)

Hope this isn't too much of a reposted type of question. I don't have as nice a guitar collection as most here and am more of a casual player...I'm a huge VH fan, though, and play the songs of his that I can (or the parts of them ).

Anyway, love the Frankie look and want to give my strat that look. A few questions.

I know it's not the nicest guitar, but it's the best one I got. How likely am I to destroy it by taking it apart? I'm concerned that I won't be able to get everything mounted back just right, particularly the tremolo assembly and all that delicate stuff. Don't want to end up with a guitar that will never stay in tune or something.

Aside from that, is there a be-all-end-all guide on here to doing the paint job? I know it's pretty straight forward (sand...paint...masking tape...paint...masking tape...etc...clear coat) but a step by step would be nice if there is one.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Haha! Pretty hard to destroy it taking it apart.
    Just take your time, make notes of things as it comes apart. Bag your hardware and screws, and if it helps, tag the bags, and keep the pickguard screws with the pickguard, the trem screws with the trem, and so on. The spring claw, if you're happy with it's tension ...Take a pic, or count how many threads are exposed In particular, so you can put it back where it was. It'll make it easier to set up your bridge again. When you take the neck off, take a pic of the shim location in the neck pocket (if there is one) or make a mark with a pencil so you know where it has to go back when you reassemble. This can affect playability, though it just takes a little more time to get it right if you don't.
    For electronics, it's easy with Strats. Just unsolder the ground at the claw, and unsolder the connections at the jack, and the whole shabang will come out in one unit.
    From there, and if you want to truly go with a single humbucker, then make a note how the bridge pickup is wired. A humbucker has usually just two wires that you use unless you split the coils. (one being the sheilded cable jacket on PAF type pickups, and four with modern designs like the Duncan JB, etc...two of whitch you twist/solder/tape together) then to the pot, then to the jack. Real simple, but Seymour Duncans website has about every diagram known to man in real simple schematics to help.

Uhhhh......What else....When you're reassembling, just don't force screws back into the wood . A simple trick is to line up your screw in the existing hole, and gently turn counter clockwis by hande till you feel the screw seat into the existing thread, then wind it home till it feels snug, not overtight. This prevents the threads in the wood from stripping if you have to redo things a few times. Especially with basswood. It's soft and easy to strip! When the whole guitar is back together, just go over the alignment with the neck, and loosen and shift if necessary,. For the bridge, just do the same with those screws, and bring them down just level to the bridge plate. (assuming it's a vintage style...I'm sure it is), the four inner screws can bee backed off a 1/8 turn, and the two outer's should be okay. Check the bridge's movement. If it binds, back the screws out just a tiny turn at a time till it operates smoothly.
    You can put a little dab of Nutsauce (It's the name of the product ) on the screws in you feel a bit of friction.
    If you are going the humbucker route, you'll most likely have to route the bridge area, but it may be a universal route there already depending on the year.
    You can reuse a lot of the wiring that's in the guitar, but you'll need to get a 500k pot to replace the 250k, though some guys like 250, but it's not common.

That's all I can think of in an overview. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    JJ
    Last edited by we die young; 01.04.12 at 11:20 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being/Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Haha! Pretty hard to destroy it taking it apart.
    Just take your time, make notes of things as it comes apart. Bag your hardware and screws, and if it helps, tag the bags, and keep the pickguard screws with the pickguard, the trem screws with the trem, and so on. The spring claw, if you're happy with it's tension ...Take a pic, or count how many threads are exposed In particular, so you can put it back where it was. It'll make it easier to set up your bridge again. When you take the neck off, take a pic of the shim location in the neck pocket (if there is one) or make a mark with a pencil so you know where it has to go back when you reassemble. This can affect playability, though it just takes a little more time to get it right if you don't.
    For electronics, it's easy with Strats. Just unsolder the ground at the claw, and unsolder the connections at the jack, and the whole shabang will come out in one unit.
    From there, and if you want to truly go with a single humbucker, then make a note how the bridge pickup is wired. A humbucker has usually just two wires that you use unless you split the coils. (one being the sheilded cable jacket on PAF type pickups, and four with modern designs like the Duncan JB, etc...two of whitch you twist/solder/tape together) then to the pot, then to the jack. Real simple, but Seymour Duncans website has about every diagram known to man in real simple schematics to help.

Uhhhh......What else....When you're reassembling, just don't force screws back into the wood . A simple trick is to line up your screw in the existing hole, and gently turn counter clockwis by hande till you feel the screw seat into the existing thread, then wind it home till it feels snug, not overtight. This prevents the threads in the wood from stripping if you have to redo things a few times. Especially with basswood. It's soft and easy to strip! When the whole guitar is back together, just go over the alignment with the neck, and loosen and shift if necessary,. For the bridge, just do the same with those screws, and bring them down just level to the bridge plate. (assuming it's a vintage style...I'm sure it is), the four inner screws can bee backed off a 1/8 turn, and the two outer's should be okay. Check the bridge's movement. If it binds, back the screws out just a tiny turn at a time till it operates smoothly.
    You can put a little dab of Nutsauce (It's the name of the product ) on the screws in you feel a bit of friction.
    If you are going the humbucker route, you'll most likely have to route the bridge area, but it may be a universal route there already depending on the year.
    You can reuse a lot of the wiring that's in the guitar, but you'll need to get a 500k pot to replace the 250k, though some guys like 250, but it's not common.

That's all I can think of in an overview. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    JJ
    Thank you for all that!

Some of it is over my head so I'll have to take my time digesting it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5F1U5C0K View Post
    Thank you for all that!

Some of it is over my head so I'll have to take my time digesting it.
    Naaahhhh... You'll be fine. It's all real common sense stuff that you'll understand as you go. Just document what you're doing, and it'll go back the way you want.
    As far as actually painting.
    The prep and paint is it's own entity, so that will be after you get 'er apart. We all have various techniques here, some traditional, some with high tech poly...It's up to you how simple or hard you want to make it.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.04.12 at 11:45 AM.