Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default What If: VH pulled a KISS or Aerosmith?

What If:
    VH pulled a KISS or Aerosmith and toured four to five months every year or two, and didn't focus on new material as often?

Would it build resentment from fans, or would you buy into this?
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Tough call, I would hate to see them become a nostalgia act plus if they stick to the Dave catalog they only have 6 albums of material. Just to keep people interested year after year I think they would have to dig into the whole catalog. It would be cool though to hear them do entire albums at a time, like VH1 and VH2 in one night, WACF and FW another night.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.28.13 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they did a full album each time they went out, I'd go every time. Fair Warning in its entirety? That would be a great show. Maybe they'll set up shop in Vegas like the Crue are doing....
    "I know My sheep, and My sheep know Me.... I have other sheep, too, which are not of this fold. I must bring them also...." John 10

Last Online

02.07.12 @ 02:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    What If:
    VH pulled a KISS or Aerosmith and toured four to five months every year or two, and didn't focus on new material as often?

That is the most rediculous thing I've heard.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Good question. I don't know but people kind of see them as a nostalgia act already. They're on classic rock radio and lots of people refer to them as an 80's band. Ed doesn't want to be a nostalgia act, but more than a decade of no new music basically took Van Halen out of the picture. For all intents and purposes, they're already a nostalgia act.

Don't wanna be a nostalgia act, Ed? Here are a few suggestions for you, the band, and Irv:
    - Tour five...maybe six months of the year.
    - Work on new music on the road, off the road, etc..
    - Give us three new songs every year minimum (iTunes, CD Baby, a VH website download, etc).
    - Talk to your fans (website, Twitter, BookFace) and get involved in the friggin' world (charity events, sporting events, etc).

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    What If:

Let's NOT bring this up in the moment of NEW material due any day now!
    Last edited by mcstravi; 01.04.12 at 06:03 AM.
    Finally trying to pick up guitar after too many years.
    Chickenfoot Rocks.
    .|
    /|\

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

If the money was in making records, KI$$ would have new material every 6 months lol.

Hopefully the new record is good and people pay the $10 (rather than steal it) and it does well to encourage more new tuneage. Otherwise it could end up like Aerokiss.

New music > tour

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    If the money was in making records, KI$$ would have new material every 6 months lol.

Hopefully the new record is good and people pay the $10 (rather than steal it) and it does well to encourage more new tuneage. Otherwise it could end up like Aerokiss.

New music > tour
    There you go.

If you want VH to put out new music, they need to make some money while doing it. They need to deliver a good product and the fans need to respond with their wallets.

Let's face it, ask 90% of the crowd at a KISS or Aerosmith show what songs they want to hear and the answers will be Detroit Rock City, Rock and Roll All Night, Sweet Emotion, Walk This Way, etc. so I guess those bands figure, "why bother?" (Although KISS released a new album last year and is supposedly already working on the follow up).

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

I don't think I'd like that much. If they played entire albums, then maybe. However, because they tour so rarely now, it seems more special. I'd rather pay $40 each year to see an act like Halestorm who are young, energetic, develop a strong connection with their fanbase, and put out new music, than seeing Van Halen every year and seeing almost the same exact show for $150.

I agree VH could still put out a few new songs every now and then, but not tour behind it. Just put something out there for the fans to enjoy. I still think the best idea would be for Eddie to do something seperate from the band Van Halen. Maybe even include Alex, but do something that showcases more of Ed's music that may not fit the typical Van Halen mold. I believe alot of people bag on VH3 only because it wasn't the sound/vibe people expected.

Last Online

08.06.15 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    There you go.

If you want VH to put out new music, they need to make some money while doing it. They need to deliver a good product and the fans need to respond with their wallets.

Let's face it, ask 90% of the crowd at a KISS or Aerosmith show what songs they want to hear and the answers will be Detroit Rock City, Rock and Roll All Night, Sweet Emotion, Walk This Way, etc. so I guess those bands figure, "why bother?" (Although KISS released a new album last year and is supposedly already working on the follow up).
    But even Kiss and Aerosmith have realized that you can't tour forever with the same setlist, hence why both bands are in the process of putting out new albums.

Lets face it, even if VH toured this year (and didn't put out new music), I'd guess attendance would be down from the previous tour.
    Denis Leary's World According to Van Halen (circa 1994): Sammy, Eddie, Eddie's brother and the other guy.

Last Online

07.10.12 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Good question. I don't know but people kind of see them as a nostalgia act already. They're on classic rock radio and lots of people refer to them as an 80's band. Ed doesn't want to be a nostalgia act, but more than a decade of no new music basically took Van Halen out of the picture. For all intents and purposes, they're already a nostalgia act.

Don't wanna be a nostalgia act, Ed? Here are a few suggestions for you, the band, and Irv:
    - Tour five...maybe six months of the year.
    - Work on new music on the road, off the road, etc..
    - Give us three new songs every year minimum (iTunes, CD Baby, a VH website download, etc).
    - Talk to your fans (website, Twitter, BookFace) and get involved in the friggin' world (charity events, sporting events, etc).
    Very true Mike. They might also take a page from Metallica and evolve a little.
    Cept dont call Lou Reed.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.08.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The money is in the touring. Even if this new album is fantastic - most people will buy the single and maybe a few songs.. That's just the new reality. I'd be happy for an EP every other year. Every New VH album we see is precious - "we wants it, we needs it - must have the precious!" -Gollum

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

and didn't focus on new material as often?

You mean like maybe go 20 years between albums instead of 14?

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by brianj74 View Post
    But even Kiss and Aerosmith have realized that you can't tour forever with the same setlist, hence why both bands are in the process of putting out new albums.

Lets face it, even if VH toured this year (and didn't put out new music), I'd guess attendance would be down from the previous tour.
    I saw the double bill KISS/Aerosmith show about 8 years ago. KISS was not promoting anything new, but Aerosmith had Honkin' on Bobo coming out. Aerosmith performed a few new songs from that album and it was like a gigantic piss break. 90% of the audience for these older acts is there for the old stuff, that's why these bands in their 50's and 60's still make a ton from touring. The Rolling Stones still play to stadiums, you think anybody in the entitre stadium is there to hear anything released in the last 25 years?

Unless the new music is really good and catches on with radio, the only people there to hear new VH music will be the die hard fans. VH could easily tour without new music and make good money, not as much as in 2007, but plenty. The new music is for them and for us, the die hards. The general audience just wants to hear Panama.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    I saw the double bill KISS/Aerosmith show about 8 years ago. KISS was not promoting anything new, but Aerosmith had Honkin' on Bobo coming out. Aerosmith performed a few new songs from that album and it was like a gigantic piss break. 90% of the audience for these older acts is there for the old stuff, that's why these bands in their 50's and 60's still make a ton from touring. The Rolling Stones still play to stadiums, you think anybody in the entitre stadium is there to hear anything released in the last 25 years?

Unless the new music is really good and catches on with radio, the only people there to hear new VH music will be the die hard fans. VH could easily tour without new music and make good money, not as much as in 2007, but plenty. The new music is for them and for us, the die hards. The general audience just wants to hear Panama.
    Agreed. And i was also at that tour, kiss blew aerosmith away (that hurts to say) to be fair, tyler was clearly high and was awful that night. Ive seen them dozens of times and that was the only bad tour i saw. But i must admit the crowd did not dig the Bobo material at all.