Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are die-hard Van Halen fans geeks?

Has anybody else gotten grief from a partner, family member or friend about your giddiness at prospect of brand new Van Halen album? I've been dating my girlfriend for 3 1/2 years now and only recently did she find out I was big Van Halen fan (just never came up). She's 9 years my junior (she turns 39 tomorrow) didn't grow up in North America and doesn't know much about band other than she does like the song "Jump". It came out I was a VH fan after the Grammy thing when I tried to explain why I was sitting through that mess called the Grammy Nomination concert. After that I gave her a quick history on the band, including the Dave vs. Sammy thing. Shortly after that she pulled up a videos on Youtube and after viewing Dave and Sammy era stuff her comment about Sammy was that he was "unremarkable" (I thought that was interesting). Anyhow, last night she caught me here on the 'Links posting about the "train graphic" on Times Square New Year's countdown shows and now she convinced I'm the biggest geek. I think it's funny because I always goofed on geeks of any kind but it got me wondering' whether we die-hard Van Halen fans can be considered in same geek-dom as Star Wars or Trekkie geeks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:40 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

I don't know about any other die-hard VH fans, but I'm definitely a geek.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

I would say yes but I'm not one.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

My dislike of "Loss Of Control" and "On Fire" disqualified me as a geek long ago. I take major shit around here for that.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

11.07.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 126 Times in 50 Posts

Premium Member

Proud geek here...and this is an interesting topic. Yes, I do have some friends who get a real kick out of my excitement. Because VH has never been a favorite of the critics, because one aspect of Ed's playing was unfortunately so widely copied (and in most cases, badly) and because the early 90s ushered in so many hipper-than-thou bands/fans (just to name a few reasons), being a long-time fan of VH music is often seen as dim...unenlightened. Add in all the drama over the last couple decades and it makes it even worse.

I've had this dicussion with "music people" before, and the unspoken bottom line seems to be that it's OK to primarily be an elitist music fan and then have an affection for VH as a novelty on the side. However, if your favorite band is VH and you also happen to really like alt country or other indie stuff, that just won't fly...you're just not as illuminated as you should be. I've burned a couple VH "deep cut" CDs and changed a couple minds, but those are few and far between.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Yeah, I'd say most of us diehards are geeks, thats what has kept this site alive for 12yrs.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    My dislike of "Loss Of Control" and "On Fire" disqualified me as a geek long ago. I take major shit around here for that.
    I kinda understand not liking 'Loss Of Control', its not great lyrically, but 'On Fire'?!...Oh well, you're still a geek, so wear the badge and be proud of it!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Proud geek here...and this is an interesting topic. Yes, I do have some friends who get a real kick out of my excitement. Because VH has never been a favorite of the critics, because one aspect of Ed's playing was unfortunately so widely copied (and in most cases, badly) and because the early 90s ushered in so many hipper-than-thou bands/fans (just to name a few reasons), being a long-time fan of VH music is often seen as dim...unenlightened. Add in all the drama over the last couple decades and it makes it even worse.

I've had this dicussion with "music people" before, and the unspoken bottom line seems to be that it's OK to primarily be an elitist music fan and then have an affection for VH as a novelty on the side. However, if your favorite band is VH and you also happen to really like alt country or other indie stuff, that just won't fly...you're just not as illuminated as you should be. I've burned a couple VH "deep cut" CDs and changed a couple minds, but those are few and far between.
    I hear all that. You know what I say to those people right? Fuck you, you snooty nose bastards!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If that quantifies me as a geek then so be it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    If that quantifies me as a geek then so be it.
    OK, just checking. Never thought of myself as one but I guess I'm out of the geek closet.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

I'd like to think of myself as a 'Van Halen Apostle'.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

I, II, FW, 1984 W/Sam: Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Any CVH
    Last Online

05.01.12 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Freaks and Geeks

Yeah, kinda learned that I have to keep a lot of this stuff to myself. Nobody else really gets it, that's why it's fun to come here.

Gf's & friends think it's really odd. I think they might be right. My Mom, brother, cousin and sister all get it though. My older brother and older cousin being the two guys that originally turned me on to this band when they came out, and they are still pretty big fans, just not quite so geeky that they'd surf the web looking for VH related news, or post on a fan site.

Unlike them though I don't watch much TV, I tend to sit with my laptop when I'm bored.
    "...And then our children will form a family band, and we will tour the countryside and YOU WON'T BE INVITED!" ~ Ron Burgundy
    ---------------------------------------------------

Favorite VH Album

I, II, FW, 1984 W/Sam: Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Any CVH
    Last Online

05.01.12 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    I'd like to think of myself as a 'Van Halen Apostle'.
    That's how I used to be back when they released music....("dude listen to this lick!")...I don't know if I'll start to act like that again...people start to roll their eyes when you start to sound like Tebow...ya know what I'm saying
    "...And then our children will form a family band, and we will tour the countryside and YOU WON'T BE INVITED!" ~ Ron Burgundy
    ---------------------------------------------------

Last Online

09.14.17 @ 06:01 PM
    Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

Ed's guitar work is still amazing. The song writing at times was iffy, but Ed's guitar work has def. stood the test of time!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Most people aren't going to give a shit till they start hearing it on their local radio station that Halen has a new album out and will be touring. VH, Sam and Chickenfoot are the only bands I keep up with yet I still attend a lot of concerts.

As I approach my fiftieth year on the planet, things that have meant a lot to me all my life, seem to mean even more to me now. Nothing last forever ya know?

If being ate up with it means being a geek, then yeah...I think will all are.

I'm good with that.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw