Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Red-light Running in New Jersey 2011

Plowing through intersections, narrowly missing pedestrians or destroying their vehicles – these are the reckless drivers caught on camera as they hurtle through red lights.

The footage, taken from New Jersey’s roads this year, is being used to warn against the dangers of jumping red lights.

It has been caught by American Traffic Solutions, the company providing the divisive red light camera systems.

‘Each year more than 100,000 people are injured and hundreds are killed in red-light running related collisions,’ the video says.

‘The following videos are just a few examples of red-light running collisions and near misses from New Jersey intersections in 2011.’

One driver stops just inches from an unbeknownst pedestrian, while others swerve to avoid approaching vehicles at the last minute.

But some drivers are not so lucky, with one hurtling into a crossing vehicle, leaving the two crumpled cars spinning across the intersection.

In one other clip, a car runs a red light and hits a vehicle – but not before a speed camera flashes to take its picture.

The footage shows 10 examples of crashes or near misses released by the surveillance company.

At the end of the video, a message reads: ‘Please, Stop on Red. The life you save may be your own.’

ATS spokeswoman Kate Coulson told the New Jersey Star-Ledger that 11 people were killed in red-light running related collisions in New Jersey in 2009.

The cameras ‘change driver behaviour and help save lives’, she added.

But critics say councils are more interested in saving money than lives with the cameras.

Steve Carrellas, New Jersey representative for the National Motorists Association driving-rights group, told the Star-Ledger: ‘Oh, so they’re showing how their red light system doesn’t stop crashes?

‘Only proper engineering, operation and maintenance of those intersections is going to prevent crashes.’

Other critics claim the cameras are an invasion of citizens' privacy - just another step closer to the domineering 'Big Brother' state.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Steve Carrellas, New Jersey representative for the National Motorists Association driving-rights group, told the Star-Ledger: ‘Oh, so they’re showing how their red light system doesn’t stop crashes?

‘Only proper engineering, operation and maintenance of those intersections is going to prevent crashes.’
    Short of having a gate comes down when the light turns red, what kind of "proper engineering" is going to ensure people stop when the light turns red?

We have a bunch of cameras in the area now, I'm not a big fan of 'em - not because I like to run red lights, but I worry that I'll be part way through an intersection when the light goes red and they'll count that as running.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Short of having a gate comes down when the light turns red, what kind of "proper engineering" is going to ensure people stop when the light turns red?

We have a bunch of cameras in the area now, I'm not a big fan of 'em - not because I like to run red lights, but I worry that I'll be part way through an intersection when the light goes red and they'll count that as running.
    In some states(mine) that gets you a running an amber light ticket.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

the gate isn't the worst idea in the world.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    In some states(mine) that gets you a running an amber light ticket.
    Is there a fine with that, or just a warning? If it's a fine - that is so wrong! Sometimes, based on speed and distanced, you are much safer going through the yellow light than to slam on the brakes and try to stop before it turns red.

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

I drive tractor trailer in nj occasionly, and i'm sure it is like this everywhere, but I HATE driving in NJ. Everyone is rude, and in a hurry to go no-where. I couldn't tell you how many times people have come so close to ripping my bumper off by weaving in and out of traffic and generally acting like assholes. I come from a very country setting where it isn't as bad, but still... and I wonder why their insurance rates are so high?

No offense to our resident Jersey girl.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Bottom line:

It's far too easy to get a driver's license.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Bottom line:

It's far too easy to get a driver's license.

It really is, going kinda off topic here, but I worked at a auto parts store part time over the holiday just to pick up some extra cash to offset xmas expenses, and after working there I truly believe that it should be a requirement for anyone atleast males to be show they have the ability to change a tire, change a battery and change wiper blades before they get a drivers licencse. That and, oh yeah have the ability to DRIVE with some idea of safety and courtesy to others.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I'd like to amend that if I may......

If you are clearly afraid of BACKING UP out of a space and have no apparent concept of just how long your car is, then you shouldn't the fuck be driving.

okay, I'm done.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Most of those looked like people just not paying a bit of attention. They didn't know if it was red or not. The campaign should be "please keep your head of your rear and pay attention behind the wheel". I've seen people blow through four way stops just like that. Never even slow down, and driving over the limit to begin with.

I thought I was going to be killed a few years ago when a guy roared through a red light not paying attention. Long after it'd changed to red. I was fourth in a line of left turners who had gotten the green and he was coming from the right. That's how much time had passed since the light changed... Enough for me and three others to be out into the intersection. He was heading right for me, but he locked his wheels when he finally looked up and it sent him into a skid away from me. He hit the car in front of me so hard it flipped around and into the next car hard enough to send it into a light pole and the concussion of the crash shattered the back window glass of the Ford Bronco that was the first car in line. I had a front row seat to the whole thing, from watching him head straight for me while looking down at his lap, to seeing him look up and hit the brakes to all the cars flying around. It was a heck of a show. I really think if he would have hit me that hard broadside it would have killed me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Is there a fine with that, or just a warning? If it's a fine - that is so wrong! Sometimes, based on speed and distanced, you are much safer going through the yellow light than to slam on the brakes and try to stop before it turns red.
    From what I can remember it was a fifty dollar fine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

We've had red light and speed cameras for a while now. The latest and greatest is the 'Safety camera' - its a combined redlight/speed camera for intersections.

So they get you for red, and the get you for gunning it through so you don't get a red.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......