Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

cant get this stuff no more
    Last Online

02.02.14 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EBMM axis vs. axis tribute

whats the difference between these two guitars? i know they are suppose to be hand stained n the backs are brown but other than that whats the difference? what im getting at is why spend more money on basicly the same guitar?

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Looks like the "Axis tribute" is a throwback to the EVH model.
    They come in the original EVH colors.
    These do have brown backs but the EVH's backs are black.

I have not played one but id think the only difference between these and the Axis is the color and that it's a special edition.
    Doubt they would/could use the original EVH neck shape.
    Last edited by johnnybeane; 12.29.11 at 03:28 PM.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

jus seems like much to do about nothing. i guess they will sell but really why? if they really wanted to do a tribute guitar why not put the toggle switch where it went on the EVH's? just seems like a cash grab by ebmm. hopefully the purple wont fade like the evh ones did.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adamvhcornell View Post
    jus seems like much to do about nothing. i guess they will sell but really why? if they really wanted to do a tribute guitar why not put the toggle switch where it went on the EVH's? just seems like a cash grab by ebmm. hopefully the purple wont fade like the evh ones did.
    I think it may have more to do with the original colors and it being 20 years since the original guitar came out.
    Eddie may own where the toggle went.
    It's never bothered me but i hate where it is on the Peavey Wolf.
    It's always in the way.

Guess Eddie felt differently.

I remember Guitar Center having a whole wall full of those beauties in 1992.

Id play a different color every time i went in.

Those were the days!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

seems to me id just go on the bay and buy a evh ebmm. sure for 2 grand it might have some dings in it but who cares right? lol

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

thats it. a 20yr tribute in the original colors only with the brown back.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post
    I think it may have more to do with the original colors and it
    being 20 years since the original guitar came out.
    It's always in the way.

Those were the days!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

This is correct.

Ever since I first heard about Sterling doing these I kept my mouth shut, but since the OP question is legite and is why " unsuspecting " customers don't really know what the deal is.

Bottom line this is a joke for a tribute guitar. It is the Axis in every way. The colors ? So what. People had asked him for years to bring back Pink and some of the other colors and Sterlings answer was always typical. It was NO.

Yet they were selling some of these colors on the japanese market. Who knows maybe he made a back room deal with the japs for a period of time. Forcing people to pay a lot of money to get them from over seas. Would not surprise me. Sterling even made comments on the translucent green, that is was " like selling mens purses " . And now it is so important to him ? Please The guy is a manipulator , just like eddie was. They just was not room for 2 sheriffs in one town

As far as the details on the guitar, they are nothing like the original. No 2 1/8" heel. Switch is still in the same spot on the axis, etc..... and if you really want to get picky the early EVH's were done in laquer not Poly. The county and new regs made them switch to Poly.

There putting really good tops on them, but shouldn't they be doing that for the price anyway on the regular axis that is already running over $ 2000 for a new one. Seriously .

Don't buy it for an " investment either" I can guarantee it won't ever bring "big money" like some people are hoping.

Invest your money in a real EVH. Now is the time to buy, wether it is a player or an under the bed investment.

It is not even a close debate.

This was all about Sterlings Ego.
    Last edited by scottfletcher; 12.30.11 at 07:14 PM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybeane View Post
    I think it may have more to do with the original colors and it being 20 years since the original guitar came out.
    It's always in the way.

Those were the days!
    You can't own where a toggle is located on a guitar. You could never get a design patent on it. Not in a million years.

Personally I believe that it is against Sterlings ego to do it exactly how ED wanted it. No way was he going to pay full homage to eddie. Too much ego.

Just go half way as a statement, make some cash and move on. There is NO reason they could not have made it exactly like the original in every spec.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

You convinced me, Scott...

Cancel my build, I'm buyin' an Axis Tribute...

Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would agree with the sterling ego comments. I often go over to the ball forums to see whats going on n as soon as u say anything vh related he freaks. he started a thread about the evh ebmm vault and people went nuts ofcourse cause he was gonna post some pics of some of the early evh's. u know his first pics were of cases. im thinking wtf?? then later he posted a pic of like a red number 8 or 9. that was cool to see but then when i asked the question in the thread about wondering if ed ever kicks his self in the ass for the whole ebmm ordeal he posted somthing to the effect "tic tic tic-moving on guys". im like wtf why cant anyone say the guys name around here?! i get the whole we parted ways thing but damn they made some really bad ass guitars together. now they are selling these half tribute guitars. who are they a tribute to??? evh or ebmm? they are a tribute to ed's old guitars but dont ya dare mention his name overthere. i just dont get it. for the price of a new "half tribute" id rather find a used evh music man. if they wanted to do a true tribute guitar they should did it just like the originals imo. whats with the brown backs? what is that a tribute to? unless the originals that we never got to see of ed's were brown, who knows. fucking ego's suck!! oh and remove that big block lettering "axis" it looks stupid to me. and with that ill pass. lol

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    You convinced me, Scott...

Cancel my build, I'm buyin' an Axis Tribute...

Ok , You got it !!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

I would agree with the sterling ego comments. I often go over to the ball forums to see whats going on n as soon as u say anything vh related he freaks. he started a thread about the evh ebmm vault and people went nuts ofcourse cause he was gonna post some pics of some of the early evh's. u know his first pics were of cases. im thinking wtf?? then later he posted a pic of like a red number 8 or 9. that was cool to see but then when i asked the question in the thread about wondering if ed ever kicks his self in the ass for the whole ebmm ordeal he posted somthing to the effect "tic tic tic-moving on guys". im like wtf why cant anyone say the guys name around here?! i get the whole we parted ways thing but damn they made some really bad ass guitars together. now they are selling these half tribute guitars. who are they a tribute to??? evh or ebmm? they are a tribute to ed's old guitars but dont ya dare mention his name overthere. i just dont get it. for the price of a new "half tribute" id rather find a used evh music man. if they wanted to do a true tribute guitar they should did it just like the originals imo. whats with the brown backs? what is that a tribute to? unless the originals that we never got to see of ed's were brown, who knows. fucking ego's suck!! oh and remove that big block lettering "axis" it looks stupid to me. and with that ill pass. lol

Yeah , exactly. There is quite a few people that buy into that B.S. though. It is amazing. Ya know what they say. There is a sucker born every day !

Your point about even mention the name EVH over there is funny, because like you said , who is it a tribute to ? Mickey mouse .

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

.........oh and the "brown back" I am almost sure that it came from the early ones that were sprayed in laquer. The black did not quite look solid black pigment. So in affect over the basswood gives it a washed out black look. in essence it will look really dark brown that is almost black. It would show up more in different light settings. Under certain light you could notice it even more.

I had an old red one that had a " brown back"

Last Online

04.03.15 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here are the following differences
    1. brown back and sides ( this was what was on the early EVH/Axis prototypes/models!)
    2. Quilted tops! you can no longer oreder the quilted malpe top on the regular Axis production model @ an extra cost, the regular model Axis is only comes in a flame top right now! befores these tribute models you had to buy the BFR Axis model to get the option to order the quilt maple top but you could only order it in the colors that EBMM has put in production for BFR models, which varies every year(s)
    3. you can order the tribute models in colors that EBMM has retired. colors such as trans purple, Trans Pink, Trans Green, Trans Black ( this color cn be ordered on BFR models for now!), Gold, etc. there are 11 colors like there was with the original EVH production models
    4. updated Gotoh Floyd trem. trem arm pops in and out now much like the trem arm on the EBMM JP model or an Ibanez Edge trem. (this will be standard on all production Axis from now forward)
    5. the screws that hold the locking nut to the neck are no longer visible on the back of the neck. they have new way of attaching the locking nut without drilling all the way thru the neck of the guitar. attachs finger board side! ( this too will be standard on all production models of the Axis from now forward!)
    6. Special G n G Black Tolex case

here a links to thread over on the ebmm forum about the guitars:
    http://forums.ernieball.com/music-ma...itar-show.html

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What i hate and will always hate about ernie ball is that EBMM will not allow dimarzio to sell those pu's in the axis!
    Best dimarzios ever made and you have to buy the whole guitar! granted i love the evh and axis guitar but those pu's sound great in alder strats as well. I have a set in one of my charvels and it sounds amazing!