Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default New years Resolution Time...Anyone try E-Cigarettes as an alternative?

Hi all.
    First off...if you never smoked, or have been addicted to something, this thread is not for you....and yeah....we all know smoking is stupid.

Well, it's that time of year (again) where we make resolutions.
    Mine, for the past 15 years has been to sucessfully kick smoking.
    It's my one last vice of many I've had over the years, and to date, the only one I've gone back to time and time again with self loathing and a crushing sense of failure following me around.
    I'm a very addictive personality....I never did a little of anything. I started drinking, smoking, and anything else that made me feel good real early in life, but this to date is the one thing I have not been able to shake for more than 7 or 8 months at a time max.
    I've been on a multitude of products, prescriptions and methods, but all it takes is that one day sometimes months after quitting where I wake with that brutal craving that won't go away and I'm done for with the first offering of a smoke, usually due to a stressful situation, or sleep issue.

I don't know what's left to do...tried cold turkey too, but I have a high stress profession, survive on little sleep, so i think this intensifies matters because I need that kick.
    The simple solution you'd think would be to just change professions, but that's just not an option at this point.
    So been reading and hearing about e cigs. (the nicotine versions are not yet available in Canada....they've got to figure out a way to tax the hell out of them, and justify it by making you feel guilty) but if I could get the nicotine cartridges, have they helped anybody?
    The nicotine is not harmful...it's all the other shit from combustion that is, so I figure that at the very least it'll give me a few more years before I take a dirt nap. I remember Melloncamp when asked after his quintuple bypass how he could still be smoking, and he said "I'm a confirmed smoker...I simply cannot quit" I don't want to be that guy, but it scares me that even with all the conviction I have, it's the toughest thing in the world for me to stop. I don't want to be like John Cougar Mellonhead!
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by we die young; 12.28.11 at 10:08 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Ive used to e-cigs and they can help but last time i used one i started wheezing and was taken to the ER.

I chew the gum and i love it.
    But now im hooked on the gum and have to try to quit that.

LOL!
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Haha! Yeah, that happened to me a couple years back. I quit smoking with the gum, then found myself craving the damn gum! Quit the gum, then a week later I started smoking again.
    I know some people say "they just stopped, and that was it", but for some it's simply harder, or their level of dependence is higher.

Like one guy at my work was giving me attitude saying how he quit cold turkey....."yeeaaaaah man....you smoke 3 cigs a day....not what I'd call hardcore, but good on you."
    First I've heard of the wheezing with the e cig. That's crazy. What did they say was the issue Johnny? To much nicotine, or something with the vapor?

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

I knew this guy at work who switched to them. He enjoyed the luxury of never having to leave his desk to smoke.

But the problem was that because 'real' cigarettes only allowed him to smoke one every 60 mins, he was now chain smoking from his desk and his nicotine level sky-rocketed thus causing him extreme irritability and almost cost him his job due to snapping at people and becoming a real dick.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

I am on week 4 of no smoking and it is starting to smooth out. I am able to have a few beers without cracking and can make it through a day pretty easily with the 14mg patch (roughly the equivelant of 10 light cigs). I was on the patch and chewing the gum there too for a little while but what you want to get away from is the nicotine "spikes", these are what cause nasty-ass withdrawls. I am switching to the 7mg tomorrow and if all goes smoothly as I anticipate it will, I will dump them after a few days.
    My keys to success thus far have been:
    -Vigorous exercise. I am riding about 45 - 60 miles on my bike a week. Take walks with an ipod and get lost for an hour or so at night. Also, take advantage of the extra energy and give your wife/gf a good pounding in the sack, you will find muscles you have forgotten about with your newfound boost.
    -Food. I am eating like a cow but a lot of veggies and my weight gain has been nominal so far.
    -Reading. What a long forgotten treat it is to read a good book.
    - Play guitar!! Keeping your hands busy with something is paramount to your success. "Idle hands are the devil's workshop"
    Remeber also that no matter how bad a nicfit is, they usually only last about 5-7 minutes at the most. Quitting smoking will pay insanely huge dividends.
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 12.29.11 at 10:08 AM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Haha! Yeah, that happened to me a couple years back. I quit smoking with the gum, then found myself craving the damn gum! Quit the gum, then a week later I started smoking again.
    I know some people say "they just stopped, and that was it", but for some it's simply harder, or their level of dependence is higher.

Like one guy at my work was giving me attitude saying how he quit cold turkey....."yeeaaaaah man....you smoke 3 cigs a day....not what I'd call hardcore, but good on you."
    First I've heard of the wheezing with the e cig. That's crazy. What did they say was the issue Johnny? To much nicotine, or something with the vapor?
    This is the first time ive quit and used the gum or E-Cig.
    Have quit a couple times b4 cold turkey and quit for years.
    First time i quit was in 1997 and then stupidly started again in 2002.
    Then quit cold turkey again later in 2002 till 2009.
    Started the E-cig and in 2010 and now have been on the gum for 9 months or so.
    Way longer than you should, i never followed the directions to quit, i just chew the gum every few hours.

Im chewing a piece now.
    mmmm!

I chew the CVS 4 mg fruit flavor brand and i like it.
    It does make me nervous at night so i try to not chew it right b4 bed.

Yeah about the E-cigs.
    They do kinda help if your still worried about having to hold something that feels like a smoke.
    Im past that or never needed it.

The ones i smoked were the Xhale brand from 711.
    They were fine till i bought a new one many months ago and smoked it and started wheezing.
    My wife got worried and took me to the ER the next morning.
    I really don't know if they was the cause but i haven't touched it since.
    They are still sitting here on my desk and i should toss em..

Id recommend the gum over the E-cigs, they still don't know how safe they really are yet do they?
    A lot of them are made in china so watch out!
    Last edited by johnnybeane; 12.29.11 at 02:14 PM.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane