Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default 4 Ex-Players Sue NFL Alleging Brain Damage

Four former National Football League players, including two Pro Bowl players, sued the league over brain injuries that they say left them facing medical problems years after their careers ended.

Dorsey Levens and Jamal Lewis, both named to the annual All-Star Pro Bowl, as well as Fulton Kuykendall and Ryan Stewart, filed the lawsuit against the National Football League and NFL Properties LLC on Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Atlanta.

The suits are the latest in a series filed against the NFL in recent months by former players who say the league did not do enough to protect them from concussions.

The Atlanta suit alleges the NFL knew as early as the 1920s of the potential for concussions but only made them public in 2010.

"The NFL not only failed to take effective action in an attempt to protect players from suffering, but failed to inform players of the true risks associated with concussions," the suit said.

The NFL's practice was "to return players who had suffered concussions to the very game in which the injury occurred."

In response, the league said it had long made player safety a priority and continued to do so.

"Any allegation that the NFL intentionally sought to mislead players has no merit," the NFL said in a statement on Thursday.

"It stands in contrast to the league's actions to better protect players and advance the science and medical understanding of the management and treatment of concussions."

The four ex-players live in the Atlanta area.

Lewis, 32, is a former running back for the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns. Levens, 41, also was a running back for the Green Bay Packers and other teams until his career ended in 2003.

Kuykendall, 58, a former linebacker, played in the NFL between 1974 and 1985. Stewart, 38, was a safety for the Detroit Lions until his career ended in 2000.

The men said they had a number of medical problems arising from their playing days. They include memory loss, headaches and sleeplessness.

About 10 federal lawsuits have been filed against the NFL by former players and some have been merged into class actions. A panel of federal judges will meet on January 26 in Miami to decide whether to consolidate the lawsuits into a single case.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Did anyone force these or other guys to play pro football for 8-10 years? Did they force them to take a college football ticket and play high school ball for 3 years? And Pop Warner ball? Football is dangerous. People die, get paralysed, get broken bones,torn ligaments and brain damage. Hell I only played for3 years in high school and I have problems in my thumbs and knees. No one forces you to play. In the pros you get paid. I think the league min is about 400k and I am sure in the contract you sign it says you could end up dead or in a wheelchair. I do think the leauge should help with disabled players and I think in the new CBA that is covered. I am on the owners side.If the lawyers win these suits they might as well play flag football.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I don't know. If you play football and can't see the potential for these kinds of injuries, then I think you only have yourself to blame.

But my big question comes about other countries - I mean you have dudes in the UK playing rugby and Australian Rules football - without a helmet! Are they having the same kinds of concerns about head injuries in those countries as we are here?

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

I think it's in the league's best interest to take care of the athletes that made the game what it is. I'm amazed that this is not a bigger part of the CBA talks when they happen.

That said, the players know going in that there's risk involved playing this type f game.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I don't know. If you play football and can't see the potential for these kinds of injuries, then I think you only have yourself to blame.

But my big question comes about other countries - I mean you have dudes in the UK playing rugby and Australian Rules football - without a helmet! Are they having the same kinds of concerns about head injuries in those countries as we are here?
    Putting on more equipment usually leads to more head injuries. It gives players a feeling that they can't be hurt. It's something we're seeing in hockey now - never have players had better protection and never have there been more concussions.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I feel bad for these guys but come on, this is a bullshit lawsuit to blame the league. This whole 'concussion awareness' thing going on in football and hockey is kind of a new phenomenon to everyone.....the league, players, and fans. I don't think anyone has ever understood how serious a problem this is. It's like we're all learning on the fly so to speak. Getting 'your bell rung' was never thought to be the dangerous thing that we now know it is.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:03 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

They knew the risks.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Putting on more equipment usually leads to more head injuries. It gives players a feeling that they can't be hurt. It's something we're seeing in hockey now - never have players had better protection and never have there been more concussions.
    Have you ever seen a proffessional Rugby match?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Have you ever seen a proffessional Rugby match?
    yes. Have you ever seen what happens to the speed of collisions you put a helmet on a player? If Rugby players hit the way that football players and hockey players hit, every pro rugby watch would end with a dead player.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 208 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

It doesn't help that the protective equipment is also being used as a weapon...

I don't think that there are any more concussions than before....we are just aware of them now.....back in the day there wasn't any concussions unless you got knocked out....it was just getting your bell rung and some guy would hold two fingers up and ask how many do you see.....if you answered within 1 finger any way you were good to go....

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 208 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

yes. Have you ever seen what happens to the speed of collisions you put a helmet on a player? If Rugby players hit the way that football players and hockey players hit, every pro rugby watch would end with a dead player.
    Agreed......I don't want to poop on the toughness of Aussie Football or Rugby players because they play a brutal game and without the pads.....but as tough as those guys are there is no where near the size and speed of the NFL in those games......

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    It doesn't help that the protective equipment is also being used as a weapon...

I don't think that there are any more concussions than before....we are just aware of them now.....back in the day there wasn't any concussions unless you got knocked out....it was just getting your bell rung and some guy would hold two fingers up and ask how many do you see.....if you answered within 1 finger any way you were good to go....
    that's the biggest issue. In hockey guys play with elbow and shoulder pads that are made of kevlar. That's not protective gear, that's armour. It's a miracle that more guys don't get hurt. I've never put on football equipment but imagine it's the same stuff.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I have been a pro-rugby fan for years and have had season tickets and front row seats for the past 5 years (Leicester Tigers RFC).
    I can assure you, these guys hit HARD. I think the problem is down to a lack of discapline once the helmets and pads go on. And the fact that American Football players and Hockey players are fags!

http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    I have been a pro-rugby fan for years and have had season tickets and front row seats for the past 5 years (Leicester Tigers RFC).
    I can assure you, these guys hit HARD. I think the problem is down to a lack of discapline once the helmets and pads go on. And the fact that American Football players and Hockey players are fags!

I know they hit hard.

What I'm saying is that if you put armour on those guys and said they only need to go 100% for 20-40 seconds at a time - can you imagine what might happen? Every game would would end 10 minutes in when they were out of bodies.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Scott Stevens laughs at those little boys