Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Default Don't vote for incumbents!

What does it take to start a 'movement?'

I am in favor of not voting for an incumbent until term limits are enacted.

I don't care what letter is next to the person's name. D,R,I...doesn't matter.

Their first term is also their last...unless they agree to a limit.

How long do you think it would take?

Or is the collective memory of the public too short?

Or am I just being stupid?
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

No, you're not... I agree 100%...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

I think Ted Kennedy is a prime example of why term limits must be set. Add to that list Feinstein and Boxer, horrible people that are impossible to get rid of.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I am all for this, but unfortunately old habits die hard and there would never be enough people on board to make a difference. My dad for instance is a die hard Republican and he would never vote otherwise. He still halfheartedly defends Dubya and even the Iraq war (although not so much around me). My dad has six brothers and the D vs. R arguments have even split up their get-togethers to the point where certain brothers and their wives won't meet for breakfast with the others any longer.

Me, I think they're all a joke, just stuffing their pockets with our money and milking the system for their own gain- R, D, makes no difference. I think it's absurd when we tout our "two party system" as being the best form of government because it gives the people a choice. Bullshit, there should be a zero party system, with just the best qualified people running for each position. Does a private business hire only from two employment agencies? No, they hire the best talent for the position on an individual basis. It's the organized parties however that raise the millions and millions of dollars which are needed for any candidate to make a serious run for office in our country. Unless of course they are already extremely wealthy and use some of their own money. All of the heavy hitters are multimillionaires, even the man of the people Obama who is a multimillionaire author. These people have absolutely nothing in common with those who they are entrusted to govern.

I guess the only problem I have with this anti-incumbent voting strategy is that I wouldn't employ it for the actual presidential vote. For example, I'm not voting for a Newt or a Mitt because Obama is the incumbent. And voting for the Independent choice usually has the effect of helping either the D or the R choice. Below the office of president however I'm ok with the strategy.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    What does it take to start a 'movement?'

I am in favor of not voting for an incumbent until term limits are enacted.

I don't care what letter is next to the person's name. D,R,I...doesn't matter.

Their first term is also their last...unless they agree to a limit.

How long do you think it would take?

Or is the collective memory of the public too short?

Or am I just being stupid?
    To answer your first question, it takes people like you and me to put forth a good idea and to keep on it. And keep on it. And keep on it.

I'm telling you, ending the "career politician" will go a long way toward the effort to reduce the corruption in D.C.

For example - Republican Congresswoman Kay Granger and Democrat Congressman Norm Dicks recently created the Congressional Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) Caucus. This group now has about 50 members from both sides of the aisle.

The purpose of this caucus is to share information with all of Congress about the F-35 jet (one of the most costly programs at the Pentagon.)

And - prepare for a shock - the companies that most benefit from this fighter jet are pouring campaign donations into the coffers of Granger, Dicks and anyone else who joins this rah-rah bullshit caucus.

Folks, this is seriously fucked up.

In plain English, companies like Lockheed Martin, Pratt & Whitney and others are making crazy money on government contracts, and at the same time are contributing money to the very people voting on their contracts.

Why is this legal?

By the way, Granger has been in Congress 15 years. Dicks has been "serving" for 35 years.

It's time to fire these people. It's actually way past time, but we gotta get started now.

No on incumbents. Yes to term limits.

For anyone who wants the gory details about the F-35 and the caucus: http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2011...er-caucus.html

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Bottom line is we have legalized corruption in Congress.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 7,853 Times in 4,586 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    I think Ted Kennedy is a prime example of why term limits must be set. Add to that list Feinstein and Boxer, horrible people that are impossible to get rid of.
    This guy was the poster child for term limits. My God, he needed help getting up and sitting down and probably wore diapers, yet he was a sitting Senator!

People don't like to hear the truth but most are lazy in their thinking when it comes to politics. Even when these clowns are continually putting the foot up our asses with their policies... Left and Right. It's more comfortable to just vote for the incumbent "name" candidate because they have the money and clout to trash their opponent and are perceived to have really made a difference when they have not....most of the time. They have just gotten richer on our dime. Good candidates who might be new to the game never get the chance because we the people have decided that we don't want to rock the boat. I don't fucking care how experienced a politician is, we NEED term limits. These idiots had good careers in law, medicine, and white collar jobs, but once they get a taste of the public dole they NEVER leave! It's like crack to them and they go kicking and screaming trying to get reelected and we give it to them most of the time. This has to stop.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    These idiots had good careers in law, medicine, and white collar jobs, but once they get a taste of the public dole they NEVER leave!
    It's the power they crave and it is an addiction. We should also reform the perks they receive, not to mention the full salary til the grave pension they get. Maybe that would weed a few of them out. Problem is, that bill would have to start in congress, not a high probability of that.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 7,853 Times in 4,586 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    It's the power they crave and it is an addiction. We should also reform the perks they receive, not to mention the full salary til the grave pension they get. Maybe that would weed a few of them out. Problem is, that bill would have to start in congress, not a high probability of that.
    You are 100% correct about the power addiction and the perks. You always see rich people running for office because it's not enough for them to have been successful if nobody knows who you are. This is what politics does for them, it gives them celebrity. It strokes their ego to have a title. It sure as hell can't be the pay that drives an incumbent to want reelection year after year.
    Last edited by CaboChris; 12.23.11 at 12:16 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

If they get a very limited pension I would agree.
    As it is now hell no, I wouldn't be able to support the massive pension that politicians get.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    As it is now hell no, I wouldn't be able to support the massive pension that politicians get.
    I've got bad news for you. As of now, you ARE supporting their pensions to the grave that they get thru your taxes. And I assure you, they want more.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have already been practicing this for quite some time. If you are in office, I vote for the other guy.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.