Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Boy disciplined after waving gun-shaped pizza slice

For the rest of the semester, a Rutherford County elementary student has to eat lunch at the "silent table" for allegedly waving around a slice of pizza some say resembled a gun.

Nicholas Taylor attends David Youree Elementary School in Smyrna, about 30 miles southeast of Nashville.

School leaders say the 10-year-old threatened other students at his lunch table with a piece of pizza with bites out of it so it looked like a gun and when asked about it was initially not truthful.

Nicholas' mother LeAnn calls her son's punishment "absolutely ridiculous" saying he was just playing around and never said anything derogatory or anything about shooting anyone.

"The kid across the table from him said it looked like a gun so he picked it up and started shooting it in the air," she told Nashville's News 2 Investigates.

Taylor said she learned of the incident when the school sent her a note saying her son was threatening other students.

James Evans, spokesperson for the Rutherford County School District, said the boy isn't being punished because he had a piece of pizza shaped like a gun.

He's being punished because "some students reported he was making some threatening hand gestures, that he was shooting other kids at the table and they reported it to a teacher," according to Evans.

He continued, "The student didn't tell him the truth about it so he got silent lunch for six days."

Evans called the punishment minor but said the message is clear.

"I realize some might say we are going overboard but the principal is just trying to use an abundance of caution and send the message that we don't play about guns and it's not something we joke around about," he said.

To that, Taylor said her son knows he shouldn't play with guns.

"We don't have a gun in the house," she said. "He plays with light sabers. He's a big Star Wars fan."

In addition to lunch at the silent table, Nicholas has spent time with the school resource officer learning about gun safety.

Taylor said the school system has made it clear that if her son eats his pizza into the shape of a gun again and there is a similar occurrence, he will be suspended.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/16325409/g...ed-pizza-slice
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Gonna bust a pepperoni cap in yo ass!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If we could only figure out a surgery or drug to remove a child's imagination... The world would finally be safe.
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    If we could only figure out a surgery or drug to remove a child's imagination... The world would finally be safe.

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guns don't kill people....pizza does!
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:56 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    Sad isn't it. I am sooooo thankful that my kids don't have to live in that homogenized, sanitized world where a kid gets disciplined or even worse medicated for being a kid.

My boys are outside right now decked out head to toe in the camo fatigues they bought from the local army surplus w/ their birthday money. They've got a knife in every pocket, a couple wooden swords, home built rubber band guns and a big box of matches. The're still in training & observation mode w/ the pellet rifle so they don't get free reign w/ it yet. What more could 7 & 9 yo boys want? They know their limits & otherwise get full run of the treehouse, zip-line, trampoline and everything else in the the yard. I don't know what they'll get into, but they'll have fun doing it I'll get a full report later today. They're making memories & developing a friendship that will last them forever.

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Sad isn't it. I am sooooo thankful that my kids don't have to live in that homogenized, sanitized world where a kid gets disciplined or even worse medicated for being a kid.

My boys are outside right now decked out head to toe in the camo fatigues they bought from the local army surplus w/ their birthday money. They've got a knife in every pocket, a couple wooden swords, home built rubber band guns and a big box of matches. The're still in training & observation mode w/ the pellet rifle so they don't get free reign w/ it yet. What more could 7 & 9 yo boys want? They know their limits & otherwise get full run of the treehouse, zip-line, trampoline and everything else in the the yard. I don't know what they'll get into, but they'll have fun doing it I'll get a full report later today. They're making memories & developing a friendship that will last them forever.

TVH
    That's awesome. I always had toy guns and rifles, spent hours with friends running around the yard pretending to shoot each other, and somehow turned out very non-violent in real life. Give kids the credit to understand the difference between imagination and reality. They do.
    Staying Frosty

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

TVH
    Thank you! That put a big smile on my face and reminded me what it was like to be a boy at that age.

We used to play a game we called Planet Of The Apes, that consisted of a Nerf football tied to the end of one of those long yellow synthetic/plastic construction ropes, where the object was to outrun the person with the rope-ball as they tried to snare it around your ankles and pull you to the ground. Needless to say, that plastic rope played hell on your arms, legs, neck and torso before it ever got a hold of your ankles. No guns involved, but it was the kind of very rough play that I never see going on with the kids growing up in my neighborhood now... shit! I never even see kids outside in their yards anymore, now that I think about it.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Thank you! That put a big smile on my face and reminded me what it was like to be a boy at that age.

We used to play a game we called Planet Of The Apes, that consisted of a Nerf football tied to the end of one of those long yellow synthetic/plastic construction ropes, where the object was to outrun the person with the rope-ball as they tried to snare it around your ankles and pull you to the ground. Needless to say, that plastic rope played hell on your arms, legs, neck and torso before it ever got a hold of your ankles. No guns involved, but it was the kind of very rough play that I never see going on with the kids growing up in my neighborhood now... shit! I never even see kids outside in their yards anymore, now that I think about it.
    We're the last generation to grow up like that.

Even my own kids would rather gravitate to Wii, Nintendo, etc, when I'm trying to teach them how to shoot BB guns, build a fire, or build and launch model rockets.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:04 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 1,013 Posts

Premium Member

Those school shooting's in the late 90's really fucked shit up. I mean, I went to school in the mid-late 90's and shit wasn't like this. This kind of extreme reaction seems really new.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    We're the last generation to grow up like that.

Even my own kids would rather gravitate to Wii, Nintendo, etc, when I'm trying to teach them how to shoot BB guns, build a fire, or build and launch model rockets.
    I'm pro guns but I don't like to shoot guns myself. Meaning I don't want to get rid of them... Just because something is misused by a number of people doesn't mean you should get rid of it. I'm sick of bad apples screwing up stuff for everyone else.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:56 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Those school shooting's in the late 90's really fucked shit up. I mean, I went to school in the mid-late 90's and shit wasn't like this. This kind of extreme reaction seems really new.
    I understand what you're saying & agree to a point. I would pose though that the shootings were merely the evidence of things being screwed up many years prior.

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

it was a piece of pizza.

Unless there's much more to this story (and there almost always is) then I think the school might have overreacted some. That said, we shouldn't know about this story. No reason for this to get to the press, this should be an in house issue between the principal and the parent(s) of the kid.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

I understand what you're saying & agree to a point. I would pose though that the shootings were merely the evidence of things being screwed up many years prior.

TVH
    Parents will give their kids toys, games and everything else.... Everything that will keep the child busy so that they don't have spend time with them. My dad tried with me... He tried to take be hunting and stuff. And I tried. I went and shot guns with him a few times in my teens, but he also had a drinking problem and I didn't feel comfortable going with him that way. Plus, I'm just more like my mom was.

But yeah.... They're seemed to be a major shift in how kids have grown up and it seems that the youth has been unhappy for a while. Just look at the music kids started following in the early 90's. Kids have started to get alienated very young in life. Committing suicide due to bullying and such. Bullying has always been around though. I wasn't really bullied because even though I was a big kid, I stood up for myself if somebody tried to bully me. i still had that roughneck personality that would come out if someone got in my face. It seems to some extent now that kids just allow themselves to become victims.

Although, parents need to be more involved in their kids lives. And I don't mean buying 1,000 dollars worth of Christmas presents or Beauty Pageants. I mean really keeping up with what's going on in their kids lives. What's going on at school, daily life.... etc. The fact that both parents in alot of cases now have to work long hours doesn't help.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Parents will give their kids toys, games and everything else.... Everything that will keep the child busy so that they don't have spend time with them. My dad tried with me... He tried to take be hunting and stuff. And I tried. I went and shot guns with him a few times in my teens, but he also had a drinking problem and I didn't feel comfortable going with him that way. Plus, I'm just more like my mom was.

But yeah.... They're seemed to be a major shift in how kids have grown up and it seems that the youth has been unhappy for a while. Just look at the music kids started following in the early 90's. Kids have started to get alienated very young in life. Committing suicide due to bullying and such. Bullying has always been around though. I wasn't really bullied because even though I was a big kid, I stood up for myself if somebody tried to bully me. i still had that roughneck personality that would come out if someone got in my face. It seems to some extent now that kids just allow themselves to become victims.

Although, parents need to be more involved in their kids lives. And I don't mean buying 1,000 dollars worth of Christmas presents or Beauty Pageants. I mean really keeping up with what's going on in their kids lives. What's going on at school, daily life.... etc. The fact that both parents in alot of cases now have to work long hours doesn't help.
    the fact that both parents don't live with the kids is a much bigger issue