Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Mother files for sole custody, child disappears 24hrs later...

Search for Ayla Reynolds in Waterville, Maine continues with no sight of toddler

Authorities today searched a stream near the house where a 20-month-old child from Waterville, Maine went missing on Friday.

Ayla Reynolds was last seen in her bedroom at 8 p.m. on Friday, said Stephen McCausland, Maine State Police spokesman. Her father, Justin DiPietro, reported her missing when he realized she was gone the next morning. Her parents live separately, McCausland said.

“She remains missing,” McCausland said. “The search is being concentrated on the Messalonskee Stream.”

A Maine Warden Service plane flew over the stream today to search the area, he said.

McCausland said the stream is “rapid flowing” and “very close to the house.”

There are 75 investigators working on the toddler’s disappearance, which has been classified as a missing persons case, McCausland said.

Police also seized two cars connected to Reynolds’ father and planned to process them for possibile forensic evidence, the Portland Press Herald reported on its website.

Waterville Police Chief Joseph Massey told reporters this afternoon that the Reynolds investigation is considered a missing persons case, not a homicide investigation. Police have said it was possible the toddler was abducted, the Portland newspaper reported.

Also today, the child’s mother, Trista Reynolds, told ABC News that she filed for sole custody of her child on Thursday, one day before Ayla Reynolds disappeared. However, she told ABC News that the child’s father did not know she wanted to restrict his access to the child.

Missing Maine Girl's Relatives Feared for Her

Relatives of a woman whose toddler is the subject of an intensive search said Monday that they feared for the girl's safety while she was staying with her father, who was caring for the child when she disappeared.

Twenty-month-old Ayla Reynolds was reported missing Saturday morning by her father, Justin DiPietro, who called police to say she was not in her bed in Waterville.

Whitney Raynor, her mother's stepsister, said Monday that welfare agents had placed Ayla with her father in November while the mother was in rehab for substance abuse. The girl had bruises after being in her father's care, Raynor said, in addition to a broken arm three weeks ago.

"Our biggest fear is that he lost his temper and something happened. We're trying not to think about that, but in the back of our minds it's our biggest fear," Raynor said Monday from Portland, where mother Trista Reynolds lives.

Police Chief Joseph Massey has said the broken arm was from an accidental fall. The girl was last seen Friday night wearing green one-piece pajamas with polka dots and the words "Daddy's Princess" on them; she had a soft cast on her left arm.

A phone number for the father couldn't immediately be located. Police outside his house Monday in Waterville said he was not there, and the girl's disappearance remains a missing-persons case.

As the search entered its third day, a Maine Warden Service plane circled overhead, wardens searched a stream near the father's house and residents joined in canvassing the neighborhood for any signs of Ayla.

Wardens focused most efforts Monday on Messalonskee Stream, and the FBI and Maine State Police were helping Waterville police investigate, said Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Many residents joined in the search. Carrie Harvey, who lives nearby, found a sippy cup lid in the neighborhood and turned it over to a warden.

"It's sad. Christmas is right around the corner. My heart cries out for that lady," Harvey, a mother of five, said of Ayla's mother.

Trista Reynolds, who also has 7-month-old baby, is now doing better after rehab, and she went to court Thursday to regain sole custody of Ayla, Raynor said. DiPietro didn't know about the court filing, she said.

Reynolds told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Monday that she and the father have been unable to get along in the last few weeks.

"I've had no contact with him; he's had no contact with me. All I know is he's the last man to see my daughter, and all I want to know is where she is," she said.

Investigators interviewed the father and the mother, who lives in Portland, as well as other family members, Massey said. The parents were cooperative, the chief said Monday.

The father moved four to six weeks ago to his childhood home on Violette Street in a tidy neighborhood of ranch houses built after World War II, a neighbor said. A few blocks away is a park, alongside the stream.

A state police evidence van was parked outside DiPietro's gray, vinyl-sided bungalow on Monday, and two state troopers were stationed outside.

"It's just so sad, so sad. I hope we end up with a live child," said Ellen Paul, a retired Colby College employee who lives across the street from DiPietro's home. "I'm heartbroken for anybody to go through that kind of pain."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was watching the story about this on the news last night. I hate to say this but I am sure that poor little kid is dead. Broken arm from an accidental fall? Bruises at other times? Yeah, bullshit. The father can't handle the kid and offed her. Fucking asshole... I hope he rots.....
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I saw this on the news too. But something just doesn't add up. Whether it is the mother or father. The mother is a recovering substance abuser, who was seeking custody quietly from the father. All I know is it is just completely tragic.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The grandfather of a missing 20-month-old Maine girl repeated over and over Wednesday night that the girl's father has not been in touch with the family, even as the father reiterated he doesn't know what happened to her.

"Nothing, not a word, nothing," Ron Reynolds told HLN's Nancy Grace. "My daughter tried to talk to him. Nothing's coming back ... nothing is being said."

Police said Wednesday they have received 370 leads in the disappearance of Ayla Reynolds, who was last seen December 16 when her father, Justin Dipietro, said he put her to bed.

Earlier Wednesday, Dipietro said he doesn't know what happened to her.

"It is important the public hear it from me personally that I have no idea what happened to Ayla and that I am not hiding," Dipietro said in a statement.

The toddler's mother, Trista Reynolds, told NBC's "Today" this week that the girl's disappearance rests squarely on his shoulders.

"I trusted him to keep her safe and now she is missing," she said. "I don't know where she is and I blame him right now, because he did not protect her the way that he was supposed to."

Authorities in Waterville on Monday offered a $30,000 reward for information that would lead investigators to find the girl. Police are confident that someone took Ayla from the house, Police Chief Joseph Massey said.

Ayla is described as having blond hair, being about 2 feet, 9 inches tall, and weighing 30 pounds. She was last seen wearing green pajamas with white polka dots and the words "Daddy's Princess" across the front. When she disappeared, the girl had her arm in a soft cast.

Dipietro, 24, said he would never do anything to hurt Ayla, who was in his sole custody when she disappeared.

"The questions of Ayla's arm or bruises or anything else being said are simply ludicrous," Dipietro said in his statement. "I would never want anyone to spend even a minute in my shoes. No one should ever have to experience this."

Police searched Dipietro's home with his permission.

The day before the girl went missing, her 23-year-old mother filed a complaint seeking sole custody.

She told HLN she didn't tell Dipietro she was going to court because he was "vindictive" and "verbally abusive."

"Now, me and him had had the discussion within that week that he told me himself that he was going to file the custody papers against me," Reynolds said. "So I decided to go and file against him."

The mother told Grace that she had raised Ayla for 18 months and Dipietro became involved only after "I needed to go and get a little bit of help for myself." She told HLN she underwent rehab.

Police do not have anyone connected to the case in custody.

In his statement Wednesday, Dipietro thanked those who are aiding the effort to find his daughter.

"I have to believe that Ayla is with somebody and I just want that person to find the courage to do the right thing and find a way to return her safely," the father said. "The truth is the truth and when the case is solved it will be out there. Until then, please try to remain positive and hopeful as I remain confident that Ayla will return safely."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online