Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Sinner's Swing! AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.23.00
    Age
    49
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,910
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Likes
    706
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

    Does anyone own a Fender EVH Wolfgang Special

    Just curious to hear someones review of the product.

  2. #2
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    11.16.05
    Age
    34
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    178
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream is over, Dreams
    Last Online

    01.02.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Likes
    4
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

    I own one. It kicks ass!!! I have a peavy special, peavy standard, and evh special and its my number one guitar. The thing I think evh did a better job on then peavy was making the special and standard alike. They sound closer from what I can tell from playing standards a few time. The neck profile and hardware are more the similar too. Love the guitar. Lose playing. Shreds.

  3. #3
    Sinner's Swing! AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.23.00
    Age
    49
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,910
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Likes
    706
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffc12 View Post
    I own one. It kicks ass!!! I have a peavy special, peavy standard, and evh special and its my number one guitar. The thing I think evh did a better job on then peavy was making the special and standard alike. They sound closer from what I can tell from playing standards a few time. The neck profile and hardware are more the similar too. Love the guitar. Lose playing. Shreds.
    Thanks for the feedback.

  4. #4
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    10.08.02
    Posts
    99
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Just curious to hear someones review of the product.
    i own a fender evh special tobacco burst. bought it on ebay used for $800. it's now my main gig guitar.

    previous main gigging guitar was was a black 1998 peavey wolfgang standard. it is now my backup guitar.

    the fender sounds brighter and the neck feels better to my old hands. i play rock, blues, and country with it. if u take the time to eq your amp correctly, you can play any style with it.

    other than the fret edges being exposed, it was setup perfectly.

    i bought a violin sponge that i keep in the case. this keeps it humidified. that fixed the fret problem after about a month.

  5. #5
    Sinner's Swing! AJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.23.00
    Age
    49
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    2,910
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Likes
    706
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsm40 View Post

    other than the fret edges being exposed, it was setup perfectly.

    i bought a violin sponge that i keep in the case. this keeps it humidified. that fixed the fret problem after about a month.
    Can you explain in more detail what you meant by the fret edges being exposed. For a new guitar I hope I don't have that issue. How did you place the violin sponge in the case? Did you cover the whole fret board with it?

  6. #6
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Just curious to hear someones review of the product.
    Dude, there have been TONS of posts here of people reviewing and debating the pluses and minuses of the EVH/Fender Wolfgang Special. Use the search function.

  7. #7
    Eruption donkost's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.28.08
    Age
    54
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,350
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Likes
    174
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Can you explain in more detail what you meant by the fret edges being exposed. For a new guitar I hope I don't have that issue. How did you place the violin sponge in the case? Did you cover the whole fret board with it?
    The neck is unfinished, the EVH Wolfgang Special is manufactured in Japan, and in shipment/storage the guitar can be exposed to low humidity. This can cause the wood to shrink which exposes the fret edges. I have seen a good number of people describe the very same thing ever since the EVH Specials were released. I doubt it occurs with every single guitar since some of the vendors may have better storage conditions than others. So re-humidifying the neck brings the wood back to the proper level of humidity and then the fret ends should no longer be exposed. If this doesn't help or doesn't eliminate it entirely then the fret edges could be dressed by a luthier, and it would be interesting to know if that is considered a warranty repair.

    Yes there was recent discussion of the EVH Wolfgang Special vs. the USA model on a thread that began discussing the Peavey models. You should check out this thread beginning at page 3 at post 32 and read to the end of the thread. The forum member had a Special and traded it on a USA model and a number of the differences between the two guitars are discussed. This should not completely dissuade you from purchasing an EVH Wolfgang Special but you should be aware of the differences, even though on paper the guitars seem to be almost identical except for the lack of the maple cap on the Special.

    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/year...-t53339p3.html

  8. #8
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    10.08.02
    Posts
    99
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Can you explain in more detail what you meant by the fret edges being exposed. For a new guitar I hope I don't have that issue. How did you place the violin sponge in the case? Did you cover the whole fret board with it?
    my frets were probably worse than normal cause i bought the guitar used and the guy probably just left it out in the open.

    go to ebay and search for a brand called "dampit". these are the humidifiers/sponges i use. nothing special about them, it's just a sponge. any brand will work.

    i bought two....a big one i put in the case where the headstock is, and then a small one to run up the side of the fretboard. yes, both are in the case.

    as far as AT's comment about using the "search"..... hell, things can change, production can vary year to year so ask away and people will gladly give u their "up to date" opinion. i've learned a lot on this board by asking questions that i'm sure have been asked b4.

  9. #9
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,353
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    1,679
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    The neck is unfinished, the EVH Wolfgang Special is manufactured in Japan, and in shipment/storage the guitar can be exposed to low humidity. This can cause the wood to shrink which exposes the fret edges. I have seen a good number of people describe the very same thing ever since the EVH Specials were released. I doubt it occurs with every single guitar since some of the vendors may have better storage conditions than others. So re-humidifying the neck brings the wood back to the proper level of humidity and then the fret ends should no longer be exposed. If this doesn't help or doesn't eliminate it entirely then the fret edges could be dressed by a luthier, and it would be interesting to know if that is considered a warranty repair.

    Yes there was recent discussion of the EVH Wolfgang Special vs. the USA model on a thread that began discussing the Peavey models. You should check out this thread beginning at page 3 at post 32 and read to the end of the thread. The forum member had a Special and traded it on a USA model and a number of the differences between the two guitars are discussed. This should not completely dissuade you from purchasing an EVH Wolfgang Special but you should be aware of the differences, even though on paper the guitars seem to be almost identical except for the lack of the maple cap on the Special.

    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/year...-t53339p3.html
    This is not relegated to imports either. I have a Gibson that had the fret issue. after a month or two, I started noticing sharp fret edges. I added a humidifier to the case, and like you, it went away over time.
    Also, it seems after the guitar ages a bit and the wood settles, it becomes a little less of an issue.
    My LP was terrible for 3 yrs. I was constantly adjusting the trussrod with seasonal changes too, but now it's pretty stable, and I can leave it uncased and this is the first winter I have noticed the fret ends aren't sticking out or the binding bulging around the frets.

  10. #10
    Eruption donkost's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.28.08
    Age
    54
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,350
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Likes
    174
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    This is not relegated to imports either. I have a Gibson that had the fret issue. after a month or two, I started noticing sharp fret edges. I added a humidifier to the case, and like you, it went away over time.
    Also, it seems after the guitar ages a bit and the wood settles, it becomes a little less of an issue.
    My LP was terrible for 3 yrs. I was constantly adjusting the trussrod with seasonal changes too, but now it's pretty stable, and I can leave it uncased and this is the first winter I have noticed the fret ends aren't sticking out or the binding bulging around the frets.
    Damn Gibsons... My '88 Gibson Les Paul Custom has never had that problem.

  11. #11
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,353
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    1,679
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Damn Gibsons... My '88 Gibson Les Paul Custom has never had that problem.
    I know.....Older Gibsons are pretty good. Sleeper had the SG I have now, and his neck went wacko. I've owned a number of Gibby's over the years, and only recently seen these issues. a luthier I know has had many come through his doors over the past 3 or 4 years. He blames green wood. Just not seasoned or kilned to the optimum moisture content. With the imports, it's just as said above that the EVH Special has no finish, so it's real susceptable to humidity fluctuations. Also many guitars that made using "thin finishes" to achieve an aged look are a bit more sensitive as well.

  12. #12
    Eruption donkost's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.28.08
    Age
    54
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    1,350
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Likes
    174
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    I really lucked out with that one, tobacco sunburst, bought it new in '88 without even looking at any others in the store. $1000 then with "chainsaw" case and they are what, $3800 now! I have never adjusted a single thing on that guitar, and the neck relief, action, intonation, etc. has been perfect (well, as perfect as a stringed instrument can be). You should see the factory nut on that guitar, it's a work of art. Those also have vintage sized frets and with the way the nut is cut, the action is super low and fast with no buzzing. That should be my all time #1 guitar but I keep buying more! It's definitely a disease...

  13. #13
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,353
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    1,679
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    I really lucked out with that one, tobacco sunburst, bought it new in '88 without even looking at any others in the store. $1000 then with "chainsaw" case and they are what, $3800 now! I have never adjusted a single thing on that guitar, and the neck relief, action, intonation, etc. has been perfect (well, as perfect as a stringed instrument can be). You should see the factory nut on that guitar, it's a work of art. Those also have vintage sized frets and with the way the nut is cut, the action is super low and fast with no buzzing. That should be my all time #1 guitar but I keep buying more! It's definitely a disease...
    Yes....That's how good they were back then. They were all real consistent, so it was more a matter of finding one with the options and color you liked best, and you were good to go for years of reliable use.
    Tough to say that now.
    In fact in my most recent LP purchase, in addition to the neck being problematic, the selectors contact arm broke, the tuners started slipping worse than the cheapest Epi....lots of stupid stuff that shouldn't happen on a $2.700 dollar guitar. I put on some Grovers, put in a switchcraft switch and sold it on CL for close to what I paid. Oh well....The way I look at it is I was renting it, I more than got my moneys worth. Haha. Still a bit bummed because it was a bit of a dream of mine to own a brand new Paul, but the honeymoon ended right quick.
    Won't be buying a new Gibby any time soon. Especially given the issues I had with the neck on the one I still own.

  14. #14
    Good Enough 5150rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.16.05
    Age
    44
    Location
    Ma
    Posts
    1,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 04:54 AM
    Likes
    338
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

    Default

    my Fender tobacco Special has been a great guitar and its an outstanding player. I own an EBMM EVH and have owned numerous PV wolfs through the years. This special is a great little guitar and I have had nothing but good luck with it. It is not my absolute favorite player but it plays smooth, feels smooth and has a nice brown sound to it. If they all could be like mine, I would recommend one to anyone.

    Rob

  15. #15
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Yes....That's how good they were back then. They were all real consistent, so it was more a matter of finding one with the options and color you liked best, and you were good to go for years of reliable use.
    Tough to say that now.
    In fact in my most recent LP purchase, in addition to the neck being problematic, the selectors contact arm broke, the tuners started slipping worse than the cheapest Epi....lots of stupid stuff that shouldn't happen on a $2.700 dollar guitar. I put on some Grovers, put in a switchcraft switch and sold it on CL for close to what I paid. Oh well....The way I look at it is I was renting it, I more than got my moneys worth. Haha. Still a bit bummed because it was a bit of a dream of mine to own a brand new Paul, but the honeymoon ended right quick.
    Won't be buying a new Gibby any time soon. Especially given the issues I had with the neck on the one I still own.
    I hear nothing but horror stories coming from the Gibson factory--a couple even from the custom shop! They're pushing guitars out the door so fast and aren't truly taking time to inspect the instruments, level and dress frets, and file nuts. And then there's the issue with the wood. If you buy a Gibson you can absolutely count on having to put a lot of work (and money) into it to make it a decent player. That's pretty absurd considering the prices they're asking now. I just wonder when/if it will ever catch up with them. Does the Gibson name and romanticized notion of owning a "real" Les Paul or SG really carry that much clout?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Korean Peavey special vs. Japan Fender special
    By 5150rob in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02.25.11, 04:22 AM
  2. Wolfgang Fender for $300
    By al3d in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09.22.09, 01:16 PM
  3. Fender Wolfgang....USA
    By scottfletcher in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 09.04.09, 11:42 AM
  4. Fender Wolfgang ?
    By solo-ed in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04.27.07, 01:29 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05.12.05, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •