Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Power mixer help

Hey guys - my work has a behringer pmx2000, 10 channel power mixer that went to crap. I changed the fuses and still nothing. Is it worth getting fixed? Can it be salvaged as a non-powered mixer? or should I scrap it? Cosmetically, it shows little wear. Any ideas on this sort of thing? I know some of you know a lot about eletrical engineering - I do not.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjay21 View Post
    Hey guys - my work has a behringer pmx2000, 10 channel power mixer that went to crap. I changed the fuses and still nothing. Is it worth getting fixed? Can it be salvaged as a non-powered mixer? or should I scrap it? Cosmetically, it shows little wear. Any ideas on this sort of thing? I know some of you know a lot about eletrical engineering - I do not.
    Hard to say without looking at it. The problem is, it might cost as much as the thing is worth just to have a tech look at it. And then he might tell you that it has a fried power transformer or output transistor or something else expensive to replace/repair, and that it would be cheaper just to buy a new one. If you can get a local tech to just look at it for free or cheap, I'd say give it a try. Then if there's something really wrong, since it's a cheapie, you can save cash and just replace it.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 12.16.11 at 09:50 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the input MRJ. I really think it may be in the electrical section. the fuse holder (the thing you can pull out he back and has the fuse) is chipped and connection seems to be loose. I haven't tried just pulling that section out and messing with it. Pulled the whole thing apart and didn't see anything odd looking or fried looking, but I am no expert. Seems a shame to just trash it when it is in such good shape, but I'm not going put a bunch of money in it, when you can get new for the same price as a fix.
    Last edited by stephenjay21; 12.19.11 at 10:09 AM. Reason: missing word

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjay21 View Post
    Thanks for the input MRJ. I really think it may be in the electrical section. the fuse holder (the thing you can pull out he back and has the fuse) is chipped and connection seems to be loose. I haven't tried just pulling that section out and messing with it. Pulled the whole thing apart and didn't see anything odd looking or fried looking, but I am no expert. Seems a shame to just trash it when it is in such good shape, but I'm not going put a bunch of money in it, when you can get new for the same price as a fix.
    Just be careful in there if you haven't worked on electronics before -- the fuse area especially is where the full 120VAC wall power runs. Also, power capacitors CAN retain a charge even after the amp is unplugged, so don't go poking around if you're not absolutely sure what you're touching. Sorry, I feel obligated to warn everyone like this because I never know how much experience each person has with electronics

If you wanna take some pics of the fuse area or any other suspicious places, go ahead and upload them and I'll take a look. When you go to turn it on with the new fuse in there (which didn't blow right?), does it light up or anything? Or is it completely dead?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Completely dead. I messed with it more last night. I am going to get the power section out today. It is bolted in with tiny srews and then nuts that have locktite on them. Hard to access and I striped the last remaining screw. I am just going to sheer it off with a hamer and a sharp screwdriver. There is a clear plastic shield on the back side of the card that I got better look at now that it is loose, and I can see a small burt looking spot on it right where the fuse holder connects on the other side. But I don't know exactly what I am looking at until I get the card out.

So I hope that makes sense and I don't know if that means that whole card is toast or the fuse did its job and protected the system.

I appreciate your warnings. I once had 5150 head that I took apart and referbished. After seeing your warnings a while back I wondered if I was lucky to be alive.
    Last edited by stephenjay21; 12.20.11 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added more