Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Default Another VH Book on the Horizon..?

I've just been purchasing Neil Zlozower's EVH book on Amazon and it would appear that another Van Halen related text is on its way. It's not available as yet but I thought I'd post the details here in case anybody knows anything about it or might be interested in buying it in the future. It's by John Scanlan and is entitled "Van Halen: Exuberant California, Zen Rock 'n' Roll". Here is the synopsis as it appears on Amazon:

'I hate the word maturing,' singer David Lee Roth once said. 'I don't like the word evolving - or any of that bullshit. The point is to keep it as simplistic, as unassuming, and as stupid as possible.' As Roth would have wanted it, Van Halen follows the band's pursuit of the art of artlessness, and describes how they characterize what historian Kevin Starr terms 'Zen California' - a state of mind and way of being that above all celebrates 'the now'. In rock'n'roll terms it stands for the unregulated expenditure of energy; for a youthful exuberance that seems destined to extinguish itself. While many have attempted to discover the secrets of Van Halen through an analysis of their musical role models, John Scanlan looks instead at deeper aesthetic and philosophical influences, such as romanticism and the Beat movement. Through illuminating moments and impressions - decaying Hollywood in the 1970s; Ted Templeman and Sunset Sound Studios; Top Jimmy and the Zero Zero club; the building of Eddie Van Halen's Hollywood Hills studio in 1983 - the author shows how 1970s California was the only time and place that Van Halen could have emerged. Along the way, Scanlan explores other aspects of the band, such as the relationship between David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen; the unique climate of Southern California, and its relation to a sense of cultural exuberance; the echoes of Beat aesthetics in David Lee Roth's attitude to time and the moment; Eddie Van Halen's 'bebop' sensibility; and the real roots of the so-called 'Brown' sound. Van Halen is a groundbreaking account of an extraordinary band, caught in the events of a revolutionary time. The book will appeal to all fans of the group, as well as readers with an interest in the history and aesthetics of rock'n'roll, or the culture of California.

About the AuthorJohn Scanlan is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Sociology at Manchester Metropolitan University. He writes about cultural aesthetics and the philosophy and sociology of time, and is the author of On Garbage (Reaktion, 2004).

Apologies if this is old news but I don't recall hearing / reading anything about this book before on The Links - maybe Mr Scanlan posts on here???
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I've just been purchasing Neil Zlozower's EVH book on Amazon and it would appear that another Van Halen related text is on its way. It's not available as yet but I thought I'd post the details here in case anybody knows anything about it or might be interested in buying it in the future. It's by John Scanlan and is entitled "Van Halen: Exuberant California, Zen Rock 'n' Roll". Here is the synopsis as it appears on Amazon:

'I hate the word maturing,' singer David Lee Roth once said. 'I don't like the word evolving - or any of that bullshit. The point is to keep it as simplistic, as unassuming, and as stupid as possible.' As Roth would have wanted it, Van Halen follows the band's pursuit of the art of artlessness, and describes how they characterize what historian Kevin Starr terms 'Zen California' - a state of mind and way of being that above all celebrates 'the now'. In rock'n'roll terms it stands for the unregulated expenditure of energy; for a youthful exuberance that seems destined to extinguish itself. While many have attempted to discover the secrets of Van Halen through an analysis of their musical role models, John Scanlan looks instead at deeper aesthetic and philosophical influences, such as romanticism and the Beat movement. Through illuminating moments and impressions - decaying Hollywood in the 1970s; Ted Templeman and Sunset Sound Studios; Top Jimmy and the Zero Zero club; the building of Eddie Van Halen's Hollywood Hills studio in 1983 - the author shows how 1970s California was the only time and place that Van Halen could have emerged. Along the way, Scanlan explores other aspects of the band, such as the relationship between David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen; the unique climate of Southern California, and its relation to a sense of cultural exuberance; the echoes of Beat aesthetics in David Lee Roth's attitude to time and the moment; Eddie Van Halen's 'bebop' sensibility; and the real roots of the so-called 'Brown' sound. Van Halen is a groundbreaking account of an extraordinary band, caught in the events of a revolutionary time. The book will appeal to all fans of the group, as well as readers with an interest in the history and aesthetics of rock'n'roll, or the culture of California.

About the AuthorJohn Scanlan is Senior Lecturer in the Department of Sociology at Manchester Metropolitan University. He writes about cultural aesthetics and the philosophy and sociology of time, and is the author of On Garbage (Reaktion, 2004).

Apologies if this is old news but I don't recall hearing / reading anything about this book before on The Links - maybe Mr Scanlan posts on here???
    Funny, I read the title and thought, "Ugh, not another one of these." But this genuinely sounds interesting and unique. I'm pretty fascinated with the LA music scene of that era, so this angle, as well as the author's background, seems genuinely intriguing.

Thanks for the heads up.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    Funny, I read the title and thought, "Ugh, not another one of these." But this genuinely sounds interesting and unique. I'm pretty fascinated with the LA music scene of that era, so this angle, as well as the author's background, seems genuinely intriguing.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Looks good.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Looks good.
    looks gooooddd, lol

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Yes, I thought it sounded like an unusual, rather unique perspective on the band in its social and cultural context rather than being just another biography. From what I've heard, Scanlan is a pretty good writer and academic so I think I may well invest.

I'm thinking that I may actually try and contact the author and find out a little more about the book as well as ask him whether he has looked in here at all.
    Last edited by dibblekins; 12.16.11 at 02:39 PM.

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

This appears to be his blog.....he has some scans of the book here...

http://reverberations-series.blogspo...1_archive.html

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    looks gooooddd, lol
    What's so funny?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    What's so funny?
    Never mind, it's a Conan O'Brien thing. Thought you were referencing that.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    Never mind, it's a Conan O'Brien thing. Thought you were referencing that.
    Ah I see.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

'I hate the word maturing,' singer David Lee Roth once said. 'I don't like the word evolving - or any of that bullshit. The point is to keep it as simplistic, as unassuming, and as stupid as possible.'
    Dave, when the hell did Eddie assume the duties which once were yours?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 18,151 Times in 8,969 Posts

Looks kind of cool.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Sounds like a load of horseshit, the type of horseshit that only an academic could come up with.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Sounds like a load of horseshit, the type of horseshit that only an academic could come up with.
    Yeah, those sodding academics - don't you just hate it when they come out with such "horseshit" as the theory of evolution; the genetic code; the worldwide web, etc etc etc...Like Sammy, don't you just wish they'd STFU?

Thatcher, 1980

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Yeah, those sodding academics - don't you just hate it when they come out with such "horseshit" as the theory of evolution; the genetic code; the worldwide web, etc etc etc...Like Sammy, don't you just wish they'd STFU?
    Thanks for the chuckle. The theory of evolution and the genetic code are hardly in the same category as a cultural study of VH...and yes, I do wish some academics would STFU as some of them are quite full of hot air.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Thanks for the chuckle. The theory of evolution and the genetic code are hardly in the same category as a cultural study of VH...and yes, I do wish some academics would STFU as some of them are quite full of hot air.
    It all starts off as theory - and most of these theories were dismissed as "hot air" initially...Besides, I think that this particular author's intention is not just to dissect Van Halen but to look at how society at that time produced such a phenomenon. And as we are all part of human society, I personally find that quite fascinating.

Mind you, not having read the book as yet, Mr Scanlan could well prove to be merely "full of hot air" - I can't comment until I've read it and then I'll be sure to let you know!

Thatcher, 1980