Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Default RIP Christopher Hitchens

Incredibly smart and interesting man. He did a pretty good job of "living dyingly" over the last year. RIP, you always had something to say that was much more intelligent than anyone else in the room.

In Memoriam: Christopher Hitchens, 1949–2011
    by Juli Weiner 11:45 PM, DECEMBER 15 2011

Christopher Hitchens—the incomparable critic, masterful rhetorician, fiery wit, and fearless bon vivant—died today at the age of 62. Hitchens was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in the spring of 2010, just after the publication of his memoir, Hitch-22, and began chemotherapy soon after. His matchless prose has appeared in Vanity Fair since 1992, when he was named contributing editor.

“Cancer victimhood contains a permanent temptation to be self-centered and even solipsistic,” Hitchens wrote nearly a year ago in Vanity Fair, but his own final labors were anything but: in the last 12 months, he produced for this magazine a piece on U.S.-Pakistani relations in the wake of Osama bin Laden’s death, a portrait of Joan Didion, an essay on the Private Eye retrospective at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a prediction about the future of democracy in Egypt, a meditation on the legacy of progressivism in Wisconsin, and a series of frank, graceful, and exquisitely written essays in which he chronicled the physical and spiritual effects of his disease. At the end, Hitchens was more engaged, relentless, hilarious, observant, and intelligent than just about everyone else—just as he had been for the last four decades.

“My chief consolation in this year of living dyingly has been the presence of friends,” he wrote in the June 2011 issue. He died in their presence, too, at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. May his 62 years of living, well, so livingly console the many of us who will miss him dearly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I haven't cried over the loss of anyone since my grandmother 13 years ago, but when I heard of Mr. Hitchen's passing I had tears running down my face.

Regardless of personal belief, Hitchens deserved the highest of respect for his erudite honesty and fearless commitment to the cause of enlightenment. His death is an incredible loss for humanity, and we will always owe him so much for his brilliance. Rest in peace, Mr. Hitchens. Thank you living a life of intellectual honesty in this corrupt world.
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

A very decent man indeed - unlike his despicable brother, Peter, who writes for The Daily Mail here in the UK and has to be one of the most bigoted snobs on the planet. I believe that the two of them were estranged as a result of the polarity of their views.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,145 Times in 8,966 Posts

I am going to show my ignorance...who is he?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I think he is most widely known for the book "God is not Great" which is an exploration of Atheism

but he was much much more than that............a tremendous journalist who did not settle for the easy answer or the surface explanation.....something really special in today's media world

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He will be sorely missed in the world of journalism as he was an absolutely brilliant writer. You may not have agreed with his views but his defense was always given with such intelligence based on extensive research, I'm sure he swayed many. RIP
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am going to show my ignorance...who is he?
    Not many journalists, before writing about waterboarding, would get waterboarded themselves. I gained a lot of respect for him with this, but to read his work is really a pleasure. Agree or disagree, he was incredibly intelligent.