Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Default Two Mysteries From the New EVH Book

Submitted for your perusal, two mysteries from Zloz's new EVH book.
    Fisrt up, the "Star"...

Like many of Ed's guitars, there has never been a clear (published) picture of the back of and unfortunately, Neils's new book does not change that fact, BUT there is a shot that reveals something very interesting... look closely behind the neck plate...

...you can see "UBA TWO." I believe, though, that it actually says "UBAB TWO." Why? Because Dweezil mentions "UBAB" when he recounts how he came to aquire the "Rasta" from Ed:

DWEEZIL: "Anyway the "Rasta" guitar - That's what Edward called it - He also referred to it as UBAB - was sitting in the corner. The neck was off. I said, "Hey that's the guitar from Life Magazine" and he replied, "Oh yeah, I hate that guitar... it's too heavy. Do you want it?" "Yes please" was my immediate response. It came replete with actual dried vomit in the neck joint and a little left on the guitar as well. It's still there..."

Now what does "UBAB" mean? Who knows?!! I suspect something like "Ugly Big And Bad" or some kind of nonsense like that, but it could also be a Dutch acronym of some kind, your guess is as good as mine! In any event, I think Alex is somehow behind it!

Next up is this unfinished guitar next to the "Unchained" in 1981...

I've never seen any other pictures of this guitar! And no, it is not the unfinished "Boogie Bodies" that would go on to be the "EVH Rude"...

That body had a Floyd installed, the "mystery" guitar has a standard trem...
    Last edited by jimi11580; 12.15.11 at 12:46 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting -- I'm guessing it does say UBAB TWO and definitely relates to that story. Wonder what it means...

I know I've seen a picture of that unfinished guitar somewhere.... I remember that odd knob. Let me look through my pictures... I seem to remember it sitting around in an old studio picture from the early stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

fantastic post as always Jimi.....

Scott, Jerry and I were talking about the "mystery" guitar last week too and whether or not it was the "rude" guitar and they figured it probably was not also as you stated..... As far as the UBUB TWO that is kinda neat.... not really sure what that means. Neat little find though bro. I really was hoping that the Zloz book showed some new, amazing, never revealed, rare photos and while the book did not really come through as much as I hoped it would, I guess I must admit there are some nice little treats in it such as this one.....

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Sorry to be in the guitar forum since I don't play guitar. I was reading this thread and came upon this from another forum. Don't know how much of it is true.

Yesterday on my drive to work The DLR show was on. A caller had asked if he had written all the lyrics to the VH songs.

He answered yes and also stated that he created all the album covers, logos, videos, stage sets and EVH's original striped guitar idea. The paint came from his (Roth)basement. He said that he got the idea from seeing the bass player of The Clash playing a striped graphic bass that looked homemade. He said he told Eddie that he should tape up a guitar and then paint it all different stripe colors and patterns more or less. EVH's guitar tech at the time had actually done it and that Eddie had not even assembled it and that the tech had done the design and all of the work. They (Tech and Roth) supposedly named it ubab(pronounced ew bab). Wonder how much of this is true. I had heard that his tech had assembled and painted it before but I never heard of DLR actually coming up with the idea and taking sole credit for it....

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Sorry to be in the guitar forum since I don't play guitar. I was reading this thread and came upon this from another forum. Don't know how much of it is true.

Yesterday on my drive to work The DLR show was on. A caller had asked if he had written all the lyrics to the VH songs.

He answered yes and also stated that he created all the album covers, logos, videos, stage sets and EVH's original striped guitar idea. The paint came from his (Roth)basement. He said that he got the idea from seeing the bass player of The Clash playing a striped graphic bass that looked homemade. He said he told Eddie that he should tape up a guitar and then paint it all different stripe colors and patterns more or less. EVH's guitar tech at the time had actually done it and that Eddie had not even assembled it and that the tech had done the design and all of the work. They (Tech and Roth) supposedly named it ubab(pronounced ew bab). Wonder how much of this is true. I had heard that his tech had assembled and painted it before but I never heard of DLR actually coming up with the idea and taking sole credit for it....
    I think there is a lot of truth to it.
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    fantastic post as always Jimi.....

Scott, Jerry and I were talking about the "mystery" guitar last week too and whether or not it was the "rude" guitar and they figured it probably was not also as you stated..... As far as the UBUB TWO that is kinda neat.... not really sure what that means. Neat little find though bro. I really was hoping that the Zloz book showed some new, amazing, never revealed, rare photos and while the book did not really come through as much as I hoped it would, I guess I must admit there are some nice little treats in it such as this one.....

Rob
    There's actually a few more things, Rob. I'll be posting more of my "finds" shortly!
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Interesting -- I'm guessing it does say UBAB TWO and definitely relates to that story. Wonder what it means...
    That is the "mystery"... I Googled "UBAB" every which way and came up with nothing related to VH...

I know I've seen a picture of that unfinished guitar somewhere.... I remember that odd knob. Let me look through my pictures... I seem to remember it sitting around in an old studio picture from the early stuff.
    I looked through all of my pictures as well and I intially thought it might have been this one,...

...but in the final analysis, this is actually the unfinished "EVH Rude".
    Last edited by jimi11580; 12.15.11 at 06:08 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    There's actually a few more things, Rob. I'll be posting more of my "finds" shortly!
    cant wait to see what you got my Friend....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmmm.... you're sure it's not this one? I can't really tell either way from the pics I have. This pic I posted is likely the same pic you took that last capture from. When I see it further back, the somewhat rough looking upper horns look very similar to the mystery guitar, although it does have a different bridge on it. Also note the almost identical position of the tape on the lower horn on both guitars, and the one we know is the unfinished RUDE guitar seems to have much smoother and radical body contours -- especially where the 'arm rest' carve is. Very interesting. I'll keep looking for the other picture I'm remembering...
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 12.15.11 at 07:44 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Hmmmm.... you're sure it's not this one? I can't really tell either way from the pics I have.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's not the same and I'll try and explain why...

This pic I posted is likely the same pic you took that last capture from.
    This is just an enlarged portion of the picture you posted above which was taken in 1980 (note that it is equipped with a Floyd)...

That body (seen here in the studio for the 1980 WACF sessions)...

... went on to become the "EVH Rude"...

When I see it further back, the somewhat rough looking upper horns look very similar to the mystery guitar, although it does have a different bridge on it.
    Right. The "mystery" guitar has a standard bridge on it...

...and remember this picture is taken in 1981 when the "EVH Rude" is being played live by Ed (with a Floyd installed...

... that's why it cannot be the same guitar.

...the unfinished RUDE guitar seems to have much smoother and radical body contours -- especially where the 'arm rest' carve is.
    This angle illustrates that last point perfectly...
    Last edited by jimi11580; 12.16.11 at 03:40 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Submitted for your perusal, two mysteries from Zloz's new EVH book.
    Fisrt up, the "Star"...
    Jimi- When I read your opening line of this post it got me thinking... CBS should allow you to direct and/or host a few episodes of their Saturday night 10 PM series "48 Hours Mystery". I know that many here including myself would tune in. LOL Don

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Yesterday on my drive to work The DLR show was on.

What?? Does Roth still have a radio show?
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Ha, he said he found that on another forum so it's from back when Dave had the radio show in '06. I used to like listening to that show on 94 WYSP from Philly. I guess people who were used to Stern's show and perhaps weren't even VH fans did not care for it at all.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Jimi- When I read your opening line of this post it got me thinking... CBS should allow you to direct and/or host a few episodes of their Saturday night 10 PM series "48 Hours Mystery". I know that many here including myself would tune in. LOL Don
    LOL! Right network, but wrong show! That's a classic Rod Serling line from the "Twilight Zone"...
    WGAF?!!

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

EVH's original striped guitar idea. The paint came from his (Roth)basement. He said that he got the idea from seeing the bass player of The Clash playing a striped graphic bass that looked homemade. He said he told Eddie that he should tape up a guitar and then paint it all different stripe colors and patterns more or less. EVH's guitar tech at the time had actually done it and that Eddie had not even assembled it and that the tech had done the design and all of the work. ..
    [/I]
    Does anyone know for sure what state the original frank strat was in during the recording of the 1st record? was it striped yet or plain black with a white PG?