Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 1,011 Posts

Premium Member

Default GOP Sen. Coburn: My Most Liberal Colleagues Are More Intellectually Honest Regard

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...onest-deficit/

As Senate Republicans continue to stand against raising taxes on millionaires even if it means the current payroll tax cut thats benefiting every working American expires Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) took to C-Span today to say he believes that, when it comes to discussing the deficit, his most liberal colleagues are more intellectually honest, due to their willingness to look at both spending and revenue:
    All of us are going to give a little something if were going to get out of the hole were in. Everybodys going to see something differentI think its better for us to take the pain that were going to have to take and make sure its meted out in the proper order than take much more severe pain. When I talk to my colleagues on the other side, and some of my closest colleagues are the most liberal, I find them more intellectually honest oftentimes, the very people they want to help, unless we change these [government programs] now are the very people who are going to get hurt if we dont fix it.
    Watch it:

Coburn is absolutely a staunch conservative with whom we disagree on most budgetary issues, but to his credit, he has consistently said that new revenue needs to be a part of any realistic deficit reduction package, acknowledging what the vast majority of his Republican colleagues wont. He has said its pretty stupid and naive for Republicans and anti-tax zealots like Grover Norquist to think that a budget deal wont include new revenue, accurately pointing out the depths to which government revenue has plunged in recent years.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,146 Times in 8,966 Posts

Has the US government miss managed country's finances? Absolutely, and therefore it may not be fair to raise taxes.

BUT! There is absolutely no fucking way to get out of the hole we have dug ourselves into without raising taxes.

We raised taxes in the 1950s DRAMATICALLY to pay off the debt from the Great Depression and World War Two.

We have to cut spending AND raise revenues.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Yep.

But common sense has no place in government or politics, so it probably won't happen.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

The problem is that the 1%, or corporations with the same interests, will buy politicians, media, radio, etc to further their anti-tax agenda. They pour massive amounts of money to convince everyone that taxing millionaires will hurt the common man. It's not a balanced ideological debate with two options everyone can choose from. One side is using money to further an agenda that otherwise would stand absolutely no chance of garnering any surport.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Has the US government miss managed country's finances? Absolutely, and therefore it may not be fair to raise taxes.

BUT! There is absolutely no fucking way to get out of the hole we have dug ourselves into without raising taxes.

We raised taxes in the 1950s DRAMATICALLY to pay off the debt from the Great Depression and World War Two.

that was a different generation..more trusting of the government..and .more inclined to give up luxuries to plan for the future

HECK there were just fewer luxuries to give up anyway

they lived differently...raised 5 kids in a 3 bed one bath house and thought nothing of it. grew vegetables behind the garage. Had parties to celebrate having paid off the ob/gyn bill for the birth of the latest kid....went to Earl Scheib and did a repaint instead of buying a new car. Took the kids to the park for vacation!

you thing people today would give up any of their creature comforts to ensure the security of the country for children's generation?

I don't

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I pay 25 percent to the feds,6% to the state of my income. I pay social security and medicare taxes to the feds. I pay telephone tax to the feds.I pay gasoline taxes to the feds and the state. I pay sales tax and property tax to the state. I pay capital gains tax on stock and bond profits that I sell to the feds. I don't cheat on my taxes. I put in my fair share. I am gainfully employed my whole life.My employer pays unemployment tax to the state and half of my social security to the feds. Its the federal government who spends and deficit spends like a drunken sailor is corrupt and passes laws along with the big corps to stay corrupt. Both parties and all huge corporations who can afford lobbyists profit from this personally with kickbacks in the form of earmarks to their big constituants. Remember the no earmark promise and no lobbyist promise they all make every 4 years and break just as fast. NO NEW TAXES until the system stops abusing us.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    NO NEW TAXES until the system stops abusing us.
    Unless you are willing to seriously reign in SS, Medicare and military spending, you have to raise taxes. 55% of our budget is mandated, we can touch it without changing entitlement laws, 20% is military, and 10% is interest. That only leaves 15% to play with. So even if we got rid of ALL discretionary spending, we would still be in the red year in year out.

We have to make changes in those three areas, or it is mathematically impossible to do without raising taxes.

Making cuts in any area besides those three is like pissing into a hurricane.
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 12.15.11 at 09:36 AM.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Unless you are willing to seriously reign in SS, Medicare and military spending, you have to raise taxes. 55% of our budget is mandated, we can touch it without changing entitlement laws, 20% is military, and 10% is interest. That only leaves 15% to play with. So even if we got rid of ALL discretionary spending, we would still be in the red year in year out.

We have to make changes in those three areas, or it is mathematically impossible to do without raising taxes.

Making cuts in any area besides those three is like pissing into a hurricane.
    Sorry DD We agree to disagree. I am in favor of Draconian cuts. They got 88k from me and my employer for SS since 73 and I am one person multiply that by a billion. Gut everything. Fuck them they are criminals.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

My worries with raising taxes are twofold:

One - the people that already know how to game the system will game it even more, and more people will be willing to try to hide their income and under report to avoid paying at all. Then the rest of us honest folks will end up shouldering more of the burden.

I'd still like to know how the tax preparer of a friend of mine is able to claim the mileage he drives even though he is driving a company truck and is not responsible for any of the maintenance or fuel expenses incurred by said vehicle.

Two - given more money (if it indeeds ends up being more money), our politicians would just find new ways to spend it instead of paying for what's already been "bought".

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    My worries with raising taxes are twofold:

One - the people that already know how to game the system will game it even more, and more people will be willing to try to hide their income and under report to avoid paying at all. Then the rest of us honest folks will end up shouldering more of the burden.

I'd still like to know how the tax preparer of a friend of mine is able to claim the mileage he drives even though he is driving a company truck and is not responsible for any of the maintenance or fuel expenses incurred by said vehicle.

Two - given more money (if it indeeds ends up being more money), our politicians would just find new ways to spend it instead of paying for what's already been "bought".
    100% agree.

As for the truck, sounds like the tax preparer is scamming.

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    100% agree.

As for the truck, sounds like the tax preparer is scamming.

TVH
    Is he away from home? Mileage, using a company truck, could be claimed, if his company doesn't give a daily per diem, if he's away from home.

When I was on the road, I got a daily per diem for every 24 hours I was away from home. I would also get half the daily for the day I left out & the day I returned home.

There are all sorts of things I can claim, legally, on my taxes as an OTR truck driver. Even as a local driver who is home every night, there are plenty of things I can claim.

The big one for me this year will be my cell phone bill. I use it to contact the dispatch office before every move. They use it to get a hold of me. I also use it to take pictures of damaged trailers, and then use internet & text features to send pictures to the appropriate people.

I wouldn't be able to claim it if my boss provided me a company cell phone, or 2-way radio. The company that dispatches us switched to a new system, before I started, and he won't spend the $5-7,000 to replace the old radios. He also won't provide a cell phone for us.

Because of that, I can claim the entire monthly bill as a work related expense. $143.00/month, will be tax deductible for me, plus anything I have bought to use at work.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post

As a CPA I will give you the answer...you can't.

If intentional it's tax fraud, but that is hard to prove.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

he does have to travel sometimes, but the majority of his work is done right here in the area.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Sorry DD We agree to disagree. I am in favor of Draconian cuts. They got 88k from me and my employer for SS since 73 and I am one person multiply that by a billion. Gut everything. Fuck them they are criminals.
    You can cut as much as you want in the discretionary spending, and it won't get us into the black.

There has to be cuts in Social Security, Medicare and military spending if you don't want to raise taxes. And they need to be big cuts.

We are currently borrowing 40 cents of every dollar we spend. You could cut out our entire military budget and we would still be in the red...by a lot.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by RRMB View Post
    Is he away from home? Mileage, using a company truck, could be claimed, if his company doesn't give a daily per diem, if he's away from home.

When I was on the road, I got a daily per diem for every 24 hours I was away from home. I would also get half the daily for the day I left out & the day I returned home.

There are all sorts of things I can claim, legally, on my taxes as an OTR truck driver. Even as a local driver who is home every night, there are plenty of things I can claim.

The big one for me this year will be my cell phone bill. I use it to contact the dispatch office before every move. They use it to get a hold of me. I also use it to take pictures of damaged trailers, and then use internet & text features to send pictures to the appropriate people.

I wouldn't be able to claim it if my boss provided me a company cell phone, or 2-way radio. The company that dispatches us switched to a new system, before I started, and he won't spend the $5-7,000 to replace the old radios. He also won't provide a cell phone for us.

Because of that, I can claim the entire monthly bill as a work related expense. $143.00/month, will be tax deductible for me, plus anything I have bought to use at work.
    I'm no accountant but I don't think it's legal to claim a deduction on someone else's depreciating asset that hasn't cost him a dime. His company is probably depreciating it anyway which would mean it's being claimed twice no? Like I said, IDK & I tend to err on the side of giving the IRS the least possible reasons to come dig in my records.

As for you & your phone, etc, absolutely you can claim that. I work from home so I get to take a deduction for my office and anything else that my company doesn't pay for. They pay my internet, phone, office supplies, etc. & I could probably push more thru than I do but the risk ain't worth it.

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford