Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Occupy protesters march on West Coast ports

Protesters chanting, "Whose port? Our port!" marched on ports in Oakland and Long Beach in California on Monday, part of a planned effort to shut down shipping facilities along the West Coast.

Police in Long Beach lined up to prevent protesters from continuing their march, warning them to move out of the road to a designated protest zone or face arrest. At least one protester was taken into custody during a confrontation as police tried to push protesters back.

Demonstrators in Long Beach and Oakland claimed on Twitter to have effectively shut the ports down. Their claims could not be immediately verified.

Protesters affiliated with the nationwide "Occupy" movement hoped to shut down ports from San Diego to Alaska on Monday in an effort to "disrupt the economic machine that benefits the wealthiest individuals and corporations," according to organizers.

In addition to Los Angeles, Oakland, and San Diego protesters planned to shut down ports in Portland, Oregon; Seattle and Tacoma, Washington, Vancouver, British Columbia and Anchorage, Alaska, according to the Occupy the Ports website.

Protesters are also planning to demonstrate at the port in Houston, while Salt Lake City demonstrators are also organizing to disrupt operations of a Walmart distribution facility.

The demonstrations are part of a nationwide day of protest called in the aftermath of efforts by cities across the country, including New York, Boston and Oakland, to clear demonstrators from encampments they had set up in public parks and other locations.

Protesters at the scene said they planned to hold the port for 24 hours or longer if police respond violently to their blockade, according to video broadcast live on the Internet by protesters.

Occupy protester gets job on Wall Street "We are occupying the ports as part of a day of action, boycott and march for full legalization and good jobs for all to draw attention to and protest the criminal system of concentrated wealth that depends on local and global exploitation of working people, and the denial of workers' rights to organize for decent pay, working conditions and benefits, in disregard for the environment and the health and safety of surrounding communities," organizers said on their website.

Protesters are focusing on terminals owned by SSA Marine, a company they say is owned by the investment firm Goldman Sachs that exemplifies corporate greed and is anti-union.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Workers, which represents 15,000 dock workers, has distanced itself from the effort.

In a letter to members sent last month, union president Robert McEllrath said the organization shares Occupy protesters concerns about what they consider corporate abuses, but said the union was not sanctioning any shutdown.

Protest organizers said on their website that they were acting independent of organized labor only because the unions are "constrained under reactionary, anti-union federal legislation."

Some port workers are also against the planned blockade.

"I'm just barely getting on my feet again after two years, and now I gotta go a day without pay while somebody else has something to say that I'm not really sure is relevant to the cause," trucker Chuck Baca told CNN affiliate KGO.

Port officials say shutting down their facilities will only cost workers and their communities wages and tax revenue.

Port of San Diego board chairman Scott Peters issued an open letter to the community on Sunday asking that protesters not disrupt work.

"The Port of San Diego is made up of working people with families who serve the public each day by helping to bring in goods that are important to the people of the San Diego region," Peters wrote.

"They are the 99 percent, the gardeners, the maintenance workers, the dock workers, the Harbor Police officers, the office workers, the environmental workers -- all working to improve the quality of life in San Diego Bay and on its surrounding lands," he said. "It is these people who would be hurt by a blockade of our Port."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,072 Times in 8,927 Posts

They do realize how stupid it is to complain about the lack of jobs, and then try to stop commerce?

I can understand protesting Wall Street and the government, but c'mon, they need to get a clue.

Makes about as much sense as the poor kids from Harvard and Cal Berkeley protesting.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Useless people.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

These "occupy" people are such fucking confused, disorganized idiots with stupid demands that I am surprised the military hasn't opened fire on them for their communist demands. I personally can't wait for the day I meet one of these nice folk face to face and without their "group" so I can have a conversation with them. The gutless and Godless they are
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:47 AM
    Liked 4,788 Times in 2,442 Posts

Premium Member

"Who's House? Runs House?"

What a bunch of no-talent ass clowns.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    They do realize how stupid it is to complain about the lack of jobs, and then try to stop commerce?
    Sounds a bit more like they're complaining about the lack of unionised jobs...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Waiting for someone being prevented from working to snap and open fire on these fuckers...

http://www.ustream.tv/theother99#utm..._medium=social
    Last edited by voivod; 12.12.11 at 11:51 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

I don't have a job so I'm gonna fuck with someone else's job.

Fucking idiots.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Sounds a bit more like they're complaining about the lack of unionised jobs...
    Then they are going to be doing a LOT of protesting, as only about 7% of private sector jobs are union.

When I was running a construction company, we did a union job once.

Once. Will never do one again.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Like DD said, the original ideas of protesting Wall Street and the government were fine. However, now they just seem like they're taking up space as they really haven't accomplished much and stuff like this is stretching it too far.

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For the life of me, I cannot understand the hatred the occupiers get. Waiting to open fire? Are you fucking serious? Do you want to live in a nation where a group of people can be murdered in cold blood for attempting to make a stand against the powers that be and a systematically corrupt government? The Occupy movement sure has its faults if that is what you are looking for. Is it better to do nothing? Our system is totally fucked up, the middle class is headed for extinction. The Occupiers are justly enraged.
    In truth, the greatest threat to the USA and liberty now is the National Defense Authorization Act, which is the next step towards the abolishment of the Bill of Rights.
    I believe that there should be large scale protests against the NDAA rather than the occupy movement. Yet, many people seem to be totally oblivious. I've been pretty vocal about the NDAA and most of the people I know are livid about it too. The word is getting out despite the mainstream media basically covering it up. Many people just care about the next football game or their favorite TV show. Its insane.
    OPEN YOUR FUCKING EYES PEOPLE! Now I'm PISSED the fuck off. I'm not even a political person. But the importance of this issue is just self evident to me.
    Time to calm down with some Mastodon.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

01.28.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bunch of lazy, misinformed idiots. No wonder the country is going to hell. Gutless and Godless is right.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I don't see how you can link the Occupy movement with the NDAA.

The NDAA opens the way for a military dictatorship in America, and I don't think I am overstating the danger.

Most here are sympathetic to the occupiers when they are protesting the government and wall street, but trying to close ports just hurts the common man, and doesn't accomplish anything besides make them look like idiots.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't see how you can link the Occupy movement with the NDAA.

The NDAA opens the way for a military dictatorship in America, and I don't think I am overstating the danger.

Most here are sympathetic to the occupiers when they are protesting the government and wall street, but trying to close ports just hurts the common man, and doesn't accomplish anything besides make them look like idiots.
    Trying to close ports isn't the only thing that makes them look like idiots. Open borders, everyone makes 40k per year, free healthcare for everyone are the the sticklers for me. It's like these asshats combined the most illogical and idiotic demands and said "lets go make everyone want to shoot our fucking faces off". I mean protesting greed and the screwing of the common man should be good with about 99% of the world, but the rider clauses for the other demands??? Shows how utterly ridiculous and far out of touch this movement really is.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Celebrities are still pissed and speaking out about how the poor aren't lazy; all people work hard, etc.

Sorry, but there is a correlation between hard work and income. Yes, there are exceptions on both ends of income distribution.

The latest was Rainn Wilson on Twitter today. I wanted to write him back and say, "So the only difference between you and every poor person in the US is that you were lucky?"

Bullshit. Bill Maher and Bill Engvall said this on the next-to-last episode of this year's real time. Essentially, they got lucky. No, luck is where hard work and opportunity intersect.

I wish celebs realized how stupid this stuff makes them look.