Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Default Help with learning sweep picking

Ok, so my problem is- I'm able to coordinate the timing of both of my hands correctly, but I can't get the muting down.... How am I supposed to mute the notes/strings once I'm done with them? Everytime I try sweep picking, there's still a little buzz or something from my finger moving off the note. How can I practice muting specific strings without just muting all of them and muffling all of the notes?

Hope I made myself clear and understandable and any help is appreciated.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Use the bottom part of your right palm.
    Little Dreamer

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Whein I used to sweep pick a lot I always muted with my left hand too. Barely lift your fingers from the strings after you've played the note to dampen them, it also reduce's unnecersary movement making you more efficient. I hardly ever sweep anymore although I do economy pick quite a lot. I much prefer the sound of alternate picking or string skipping. You could always try a string damper or making your own by tieing a bandana round the neck between the nut and 1st fret (loosely though, you don't want a capo).
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I suck at it, but I think Tommy is correct, its more about muting with your playing hand then your picking hand. just a timing thing in how you lift them.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Another thing. Don't try to run before you can walk a good starting point is to start by sweep picking accorss just 3 strings with simple and familiar shapes. Try a D shape at the 14th fret and just play the A (G-string, 14th fret), D (B-string 15th fret) and F# (E-string 14th fret). Try just playing with a downward sweep until you get it clean then play upwards sweeps until you get that clean too, then play both. Once you can play both nice and clean add a hammer/pull off on the E-string from the F# to A after a downward sweep then back up. Does that make sense?
    If I were at home and not at work I would have made a quick video explaining what I mean.
    Also, do you angle you pick slightly? (downwards for downward sweeps upwards for upward sweeps?) It really helps maintain smoothness.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Another thing. Don't try to run before you can walk a good starting point is to start by sweep picking accorss just 3 strings with simple and familiar shapes. Try a D shape at the 14th fret and just play the A (G-string, 14th fret), D (B-string 15th fret) and F# (E-string 14th fret). Try just playing with a downward sweep until you get it clean then play upwards sweeps until you get that clean too, then play both. Once you can play both nice and clean add a hammer/pull off on the E-string from the F# to A after a downward sweep then back up. Does that make sense?
    If I were at home and not at work I would have made a quick video explaining what I mean.
    Also, do you angle you pick slightly? (downwards for downward sweeps upwards for upward sweeps?) It really helps maintain smoothness.
    Oh yeah, definetely. That's what I have been practicing (along with a couple of other 3-string sweep practices)... I'll work on muting the note with my left hand and see how that goes. I do tend to lift them off very quickly so I think it's creating more like a pull-off effect, so I'll try just lightly moving my finger off the note just to silence it. Thanks for the tip.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Happy to help mate, let us know how you get on and I'll try to help you as much as I can. You wait till you're sweeping and adding taps, that's where the fun really starts!!..lol

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

Ok, weird thing is that I can do it clean when going upwards. It's just that when I hit a note on the 6th,5th,4th, or 3rd string going downwards, alot of the time I am getting some sort of buzz or a little ringing of the note. I think I might try to dampen the strings like you suggested, but wouldn't that muffle the sound whenever I play an open string?

Maybe I'm just not the kind for sweeps.
    Last edited by JakeK21; 12.10.11 at 08:00 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    Ok, weird thing is that I can do it clean when going upwards. It's just that when I hit a note on the 6th,5th,4th, or 3rd string going downwards, alot of the time I am getting some sort of buzz or a little ringing of the note. I think I might try to dampen the strings like you suggested, but wouldn't that muffle the sound whenever I play an open string?

Maybe I'm just not the kind for sweeps.
    How low is your action?....I spoke to Michael Angelo Batio a few years ago and his action is much higher than you'd think. If you action is really low it makes it slightly more difficult to damnen the strings with you left hand, because you don't need a lot of pressure to sound the note. Maybe try raising it a tiny bit to see if that helps, once you can pull it off, lower it again and see how you go. Also, it's not something you can pull off overnight, it takes a ton of practice. Boring I know, but worth it in the end.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

How low is your action?....I spoke to Michael Angelo Batio a few years ago and his action is much higher than you'd think. If you action is really low it makes it slightly more difficult to damnen the strings with you left hand, because you don't need a lot of pressure to sound the note. Maybe try raising it a tiny bit to see if that helps, once you can pull it off, lower it again and see how you go. Also, it's not something you can pull off overnight, it takes a ton of practice. Boring I know, but worth it in the end.
    I've been practicing this for a while now. Never thought about the string height thing though, so I'll check that out. Seems like one of those ideas people would never think about when it comes to something like that. I'm going to sit down tonight and try that out.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

It took me what felt like forever to nail it, but once I did it's really simple to pull off as long as you know the arpeggios. Nowadays I much prefer economy picking, which is more a mixture of aternate picking and single string sweeps. Once you've mastered sweep picking give it a go.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Interesting that Michael Angelo Batio's name came up. Perhaps use one of his string dampener's to help out a bit:

http://www.angelo.com/html/the_mab_string_dampener.html

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Another trick I just remembered (while listening to Avenged Sevenfold) Try using the neck pickup. It won't help your technique but the harmonics etc won't ring out quite as much.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

Another trick I just remembered (while listening to Avenged Sevenfold) Try using the neck pickup. It won't help your technique but the harmonics etc won't ring out quite as much.
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing, except not for the same reason. It just sounds warmer and the notes flow more easily. I also found a good solution to my problem. When doing a basic exercise like G(14) B(13) e(12), I use the fingertip of my middle finger to mute the G string right after I lift up my ring finger. Don't know how common this is, but it's really working out and I've been able to pick up the speed and have it sounding clean and clear.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Interesting that Michael Angelo Batio's name came up. Perhaps use one of his string dampener's to help out a bit:

http://www.angelo.com/html/the_mab_string_dampener.html

$90 for that?