Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Parents Outraged Over Teacher Removing Word Gay from Deck the Halls

Christmas carols help us get in the mood to celebrate the holidays. But would they have the same meaning if we changed a few words?

Parents of students at an elementary school in Michigan say, "No." A music teacher at Cherry Knoll Elementary School in Traverse City decided to change the word "gay" to "bright" in "Deck the Halls" for the children's Christmas concert.

Her reasoning for the switch? First- and second-graders would not stop giggling when they sang the word "gay." Several parents were so upset about the change they went to the school's Facebook page to express their opinions.

One parent said, "By taking the word 'gay' out of 'Deck the Halls,' you are making it a big deal. One word can have different meanings." Another parent voiced, "Can one word in a 150-year-old classic Christmas carol really offend someone?"

The negative comments have since been deleted from the school's Facebook page, and wall posts have been disabled. Cherry Knoll Principal Chris Parker is on the parents' side, saying, "This would have been a great opportunity to teach that 'gay' has more than one meaning and is not a bad word." In response to the controversy over the word change, the original lyrics have now been restored.

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/12/mic...ook-users.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

some parents sure seem to get outraged very easily.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    some parents sure seem to get outraged very easily.
    It must be so frustrating to be a teacher these days. So little support from parents. I'm sure none of the outraged parents in this case are raising the kids who couldn't stop giggling. Those were definitely somebody else's bad kids.
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Actually after about things teachers do, I bet it would be frustrating to be a parent.

Teachers today seem to be wanting to push their agenda. I can't remember having that when I was being taught.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    It must be so frustrating to be a teacher these days. So little support from parents. I'm sure none of the outraged parents in this case are raising the kids who couldn't stop giggling. Those were definitely somebody else's bad kids.
    People like to complain about teachers. From my experience about 5% of them suck. Unfortunately the % is much higher for pain in the ass parents.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

If I were the teacher, here's how I would've handled it: Send a note home to parents explaining that the kids are giggling over the word 'gay,' and on Friday, I will have an age-appropriate discussion with them about what the word means now, and what the word means in the song. If a student giggles at the word after the Friday talk, he or she will be held for 30 minutes after school as a consequence.

This would give the parent the opportunity to have a talk at home first.

I think that's what riles up parents the most - when teachers take away decisions.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    People like to complain about teachers. From my experience about 5% of them suck. Unfortunately the % is much higher for pain in the ass parents.
    +1000

I cannot begin with the stories of parents who don't give a shit. They keep popping out kid after kid and just look at school as a damn daycare center. The government always thinks the teachers are the ones who need constant changes and "improvement" because the politicians are too much of pussies to tell the parents that THEY need to get more involved in their kids' education.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

no win situation....kids are giggling because they are singing the word "gay"

but if the teacher asked the kids what the word meant to see what their understanding was, he'd be raked over the coals by some of the parents

so what if he decides to change one word in a carol? It's not like he's taking the word "God" out of the pledge of allegiance or the word "Christmas" out of the term Christmas Carol.

jeez these people should be grateful that their kids can SING carols in their school instead of some "holiday song"

now that they know there are Christmas Carols being sung at that school, some knob will show up at the school board and take care of that

so enjoy this year's concert, parents

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

jeez these people should be grateful that their kids can SING carols in their school instead of some "holiday song"

now that they know there are Christmas Carols being sung at that school, some knob will show up at the school board and take care of that
    We wish you a merry non-specific winter celebration!
    And a happy New Year!

(Wait ... is New Year still allowed?)

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:36 PM
    Liked 6,845 Times in 3,583 Posts

Premium Member

tee hee giggle giggle!

Lock your doors.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Oh man, I miss Space Ghost Coast to Coast!

We've already got Beavis and Butthead back, maybe we can get that show on the air again.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

What's with teachers sucking so bad lately?? First some asshole tells kids there's no Santa then this douche bag changes the words?? Fucking ridiculous.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    no win situation....kids are giggling because they are singing the word "gay"

but if the teacher asked the kids what the word meant to see what their understanding was, he'd be raked over the coals by some of the parents

so what if he decides to change one word in a carol? It's not like he's taking the word "God" out of the pledge of allegiance or the word "Christmas" out of the term Christmas Carol.

so enjoy this year's concert, parents
    Yes, they should be grateful. They have taken away just about everything at our schools because they don't want anybody to be offended. As far as this teacher goes though, whatever happened to having control of your class. Shouldn't she be able to tell the students if they continue to laugh and disrupt practice that there will be consequences? Why does she have to change lyrics when skipping recess as a consequence would work?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Sometimes students just don't give a shit about consequences. In fact, my recent field supervisor for my student teaching assignment had two words to say to me after observing me for the 2nd time out of 4:

"You're screwed." She said she was lucky that she never had to face kids that just didn't care about consequences like today. She said it's been this way for about 6 years now.

Let's put it this way. When I took over a class of 7th graders in September, they were out of control. The class was so off-topic and chatty--all 43 of them squished into one class--that I had to address the class behavior as a whole (which sucked for the 5-8 kids that weren't misbehaving).

Anyway, one of the ways you can get a class to police itself is to keep them during their passing period. My first day, if they didn't "come to order" by the second time I asked, I started writing time on the board in 5-second increments under the acronym "TYOMAB" (Time You Owe Me After the Bell). By the time you get to 10-15 seconds, kids start asking what TYOMAB is. You tell them, and say, "You're taking my time now, so I'm taking your time after the bell."

The kids will start "sshhhsshhhing" each other.

I say this because, by day 3 of taking over, I got up to one minute and 30 seconds in 5 second increments on the board, 12 names on the board, 3 with check marks, 1 of them with 2 (he got sent to another class after being reprimanded outside).

Starting day 4, I started with 1 minute under TYOMAB and counted down by taking time off when they actually were behaving.

It took me 6 weeks to get to a point where the kids shut up by me just taking the dry erase pen cap off. But even then there were shitty days where the kids were just out of control. A bee flew in the classroom and all hell broke lose. 43 kids were terrified, some started crying cuz they were allergic, and that was it for learning that day. When it rains or snows, forget about it. The day is over.

If I tried to teach a Christmas carol on one of those days--and they get more common the closer you get to break--then I might have thought about changing the word too.

The sad part is that the teacher should have just known that singing Christmas carols with kids would be a nightmare.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uranus is next!! Teehee