Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Default Do you think a new Album will take a little heat off of Ed?

I think an Albums worth of new music (a double album would be better) would refresh all of our ears and we would be exited about the whole package of Van Halen, new lyrics, drums, and bass and not be so focused on Eddie's playing.

Or do you think a new album would put him under the microscope, well he seems to be under the microscope already with us here, so I guess I'll say, would it increase the magnification?

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

I seem to remember a 430 page thread that includes many discussions amongst topics like these.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Not if it sucks.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

being totally honest here..if this album doesn't sell at least a million copies, the band is done making new music.

just my opinion
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

02.06.15 @ 07:32 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    being totally honest here..if this album doesn't sell at least a million copies, the band is done making new music.

just my opinion
    Agreed 100%.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

I think he always was a nervous paranoid obsessive neurotic, and always will be. He simply resorted to alcohol in the past to control it.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Only if it the vast majority of fans like it. Critics don't count because they never liked Van Halen even back in their glory days. I'm not so sure commercial success is important because reality is for exception of us here, not a lot of music buying public even knows who Van Halen is. If for example, it's as good and poor selling like Fair Warning, I say yes the heat is off and he'll be inspired to write more.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    I think he always was a nervous paranoid obsessive neurotic, and always will be. He simply resorted to alcohol in the past to control it.
    BINGO!!!! We have a winner.

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

Here? Nah.

With the general public? Well, there is no real heat on Ed outside of a few online forums. As shocking as this may sound to some posters here, there are many fans of VH who will support a tour, will buy the new album, will be unbiased in their assessment of both, and really couldn't care less about what goes on in the meantime. These are people who may have watched the Grammy nomination show -- if they knew about it, that is -- and, upon not seeing VH, would have simply said "damn," and moved on. This would describe the overwhelming majority of this band's fans. Some of the reactions to fairly insignificant goings on are blown way, way out of proportion here. The level of bitterness directed at Ed can, quite ironically, seem even worse than the bitterness Ed is accused of displaying.

A new album, as long as it's decent, will be warmly received by most of the general public and the press. The Links posters who are supportive of VH will continue to be supportive of VH. The posters who say they won't buy the album might not buy the album. Some will, and they'll be honest about their thoughts. Others will probably buy it but boast about "not" buying it so they can remain "cool," as the anti-VH sentiment is apparently hip right now. It'll pretty much be business as usual in these parts, albeit busier and with a few posters coming out of the woodwork.

My personal expectations? Well, I'm really looking forward to the album. I'm disappointed that VH's Soundwave Revolution appearances didn't pan out, but I got it from an extremely good source that VH weren't the band that cancelled. That may seem implausible to some, but the person I got it from was very close to the situation and revealed a few things that only somebody truly "in the know" would be aware of. I hope the band members are getting along, that Ed is healthy mentally and physically, and that we haven't seen the last of Van Halen. If we have, so be it. I love every one of their albums (okay, OU812 is a bit weak), and they've brought me a lot of joy through the years. I'm confident the new one will be solid and, really, it won't change my opinion of Ed the person (a man I've never met). He's far from perfect, but that describes us all.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

01.28.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casemeister View Post
    Here? Nah.

With the general public? Well, there is no real heat on Ed outside of a few online forums. As shocking as this may sound to some posters here, there are many fans of VH who will support a tour, will buy the new album, will be unbiased in their assessment of both, and really couldn't care less about what goes on in the meantime. These are people who may have watched the Grammy nomination show -- if they knew about it, that is -- and, upon not seeing VH, would have simply said "damn," and moved on. This would describe the overwhelming majority of this band's fans. Some of the reactions to fairly insignificant goings on are blown way, way out of proportion here. The level of bitterness directed at Ed can, quite ironically, seem even worse than the bitterness Ed is accused of displaying.

A new album, as long as it's decent, will be warmly received by most of the general public and the press. The Links posters who are supportive of VH will continue to be supportive of VH. The posters who say they won't buy the album might not buy the album. Some will, and they'll be honest about their thoughts. Others will probably buy it but boast about "not" buying it so they can remain "cool," as the anti-VH sentiment is apparently hip right now. It'll pretty much be business as usual in these parts, albeit busier and with a few posters coming out of the woodwork.

My personal expectations? Well, I'm really looking forward to the album. I'm disappointed that VH's Soundwave Revolution appearances didn't pan out, but I got it from an extremely good source that VH weren't the band that cancelled. That may seem implausible to some, but the person I got it from was very close to the situation and revealed a few things that only somebody truly "in the know" would be aware of. I hope the band members are getting along, that Ed is healthy mentally and physically, and that we haven't seen the last of Van Halen. If we have, so be it. I love every one of their albums (okay, OU812 is a bit weak), and they've brought me a lot of joy through the years. I'm confident the new one will be solid and, really, it won't change my opinion of Ed the person (a man I've never met). He's far from perfect, but that describes us all.
    Good post.

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by OctobanAnimal View Post
    Good post.

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

VHI and F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One/Humans Being
    Last Online

03.28.12 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here? Nah.

You're comparing casual fans to vhlinks posters. The difference is that casual fans don't care enough to get mad at Van Halen for not doing anything.

Me, I'm sick of this. And bored of all the false-starts. If they're gonna do something, then fucking do it. Just stop keeping all of us waiting with the 'get ready' bullshit. That got old years ago.
    Don't regret the rules I broke
    when I die
    Bury me in smoke

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenshoes View Post
    You're comparing casual fans to vhlinks posters. The difference is that casual fans don't care enough to get mad at Van Halen for not doing anything.

Me, I'm sick of this. And bored of all the false-starts. If they're gonna do something, then fucking do it. Just stop keeping all of us waiting with the 'get ready' bullshit. That got old years ago.
    But has there really been much of the "get ready" stuff?

I was perhaps suggesting that some Linkers take a page out of the book of the casual fans' -- just take it easy. New music is apparently coming. It'll arrive when it arrives.

RIP, Hoss!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Here? Nah.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.......I also heard from a good source that the band that pulled out of the Grammy's was in fact the Beach Boys and not Van Halen. By now it's probably already old news as Melodic rock mentioned this on their site this past weekend.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Here? Nah.

Very well said sir (or madam)
    i concur

SENT BY MY =VH= WALKIE -TALKIE ®
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED