Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default White lightning! Moonshine makes a comeback

On December 5, bars across the country are even more appreciative of Americans’ right to imbibe. It’s Repeal Day, honoring the end of Prohibition. But as the beer taps and bottles of vodka flow, there’s one spirit from that era making a comeback of sorts: moonshine.

White lightning, hooch, bathtub gin – moonshine has held these monikers since gaining popularity during Prohibition, which ended 78 years ago, on Dec. 5, 1933. The clear-as-water whiskey is straight liquor, made from fermented corn or wheat mash, and requires no oak barrels or aging – easy enough for illicit production. The mixology fad and obsession with artisanal products in recent years, however, has removed some of moonshine’s bad rap.

In the past two years, Jonathan Goldstein, a third-generation co-owner of Park Avenue Liquor Shop in midtown Manhattan, said he’s seen more obscure spirits like moonshine become trendier among distillers. Now, customers are curious.

“People are looking for wild flavors, obscure labels, things available in Europe – old-school brands that your grandparents had in their liquor cabinet that you probably haven’t seen,” said Goldstein.

Wasn’t moonshine supposed to be some illegally distilled spirit comparable to drinking car fuel? It sure seemed liked it the first time I took a sip years ago.

A friend of mine was cleaning and rehabbing his family farm just an hour outside of Minneapolis one year when he found two jugs of moonshine. I inherited one. This moonshine burned my throat and I could feel it in my nostrils. I don’t know where it is today because after one taste, I never wanted to try it again.

Since the moonshine that’s sold today is legal, it goes through a process that's more regulated so it's not contaminated with impurities. The liquor has a following in both rural and urban areas. At many of the speakeasy-style bars dotting New York’s downtown neighborhoods and hip outer boroughs, Kings County Distillery’s spirits are common. Their hand-crafted bourbon and moonshine is produced in a 325-square-foot room.

It was with some reservations that I recently gave moonshine another chance. I was reintroduced to it with Original Moonshine, a clear corn whiskey that’s hand-crafted in Virginia. Even at 80-proof, the taste was smooth and balanced — with just a hint of sweetness. As a mixer in a Bloody Mary at Hill Country Barbecue, a popular spot in New York, it was one of the best ones I’ve sampled in recent memory.

Perhaps it shouldn’t be a surprise because chef Adam Perry Lang, who opened Daisy May’s BBQ in New York City, had a hand in creating the current Original Moonshine formula with Chuck Miller, whose family has been master moonshine distillers for several generations.

Original Moonshine
    While our Prohibition days are behind us, spirits like moonshine are coming back in style. There’s nothing stopping you from finding your own dose of clear corn whiskey, but if you want to mix a drink of your own at home, here’s a recipe:

Shine Gimlet

•2 oz moonshine
    •1 oz fresh lime juice
    •3/4 oz simple syrup
    •2 cucumber slices, muddled
    •6 mint leaves, muddled
    •2 dashes celery bitters
    Muddle together cucumber slices and mint leaves. Add in your celery bitters, lime juice, simple syrup & moonshine with a heavy helping of ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a coupe. Garnish with a cucumber slice and/or a fresh mint leaf.
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I had members of my family who often had moonshine around...it'll get you there and back, while permanently removing your internal organs.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,805 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

I used to drink it all the time since one of my dad had friends who ran stills in West Va.

Best moonshine I had was in all places Iceland. They would bring it out during after parties when the clubs had closed. I think they called it Lante or something like that. Good stuff.

Stuff from West Va though would burn like the sweat from Paris Hilton's vagina.

Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Donor

Default Catdaddy

As a NASCAR fan and one who imbibes I found the favored blend produced by Piedmont Distillers in Madison , N.C. This Carolina Moonshine is a Junior Johnson creation and tastes liked a spiced rum with a huge kick in the ass. Three shots and your ready for liftoff.....

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

That shit will kill ya.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.