Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Employee/Employer conflict situation - Greedy McDonalds Franchise

The McDonalds store I work at is owned by a franchise and our owner does virtually everything to save/earn more. I can't blame them on adequate business decisions like raising the meal prices 50-60 pence above the regular "company" price, or removing large/premium meals from employee's lunch allocation.

Right now we're in a bit of a crap situation because of the way we're supposed to handle refunds. We are not supposed to use refund option and handle customers the money directly from our floats. It means our float goes down, most of the times below the £1 limit, so the money comes out of our wages. The situation gets tricky when eg the order is taken at Drive-Thru booth, the order is put through the till but it turns out a product/products are not available due to stock shortage/machine failure. Today a friend of mine served hot chocolate to a customer, it turned out the machine wasn't working, the customer demanded the money back and it had to come out of my friend's till.

No notification had been posted, people had to find out about the change facing the situation, so when a business manager tells you to give the money back people get confused but obey. No one has a clue if this goes against our employee rights, people just speculate, rant but don't do nothing.

I was talking about this with my manager who was really pissed off and said something has be done - a petition or a unanimous staff decision not to handle the refund money back, or get the papers' attention to "shame" the franchise, the way she phrased it.

Has anyone been in a situation like this?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

In the us it's illegal to make an employee pay drawer shortages. At least in Georgia. I'd research this in the laws over there. If that doesn't work id call corporate anonymously.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

If the manager has a problem, he's probably the one to address your grievances with corporate, especially because he seems to agree.

The problem is that you have to be very sure what your rights are, and even though employers aren't supposed to do certain things and employees have certain rights, you have to weigh that with the possible outcome of retaliation (which I also know is illegal) or termination (which is illegal in this situation). What I mean is that the owner could probably find some other reason to fire you or the manager because no one does everything correct 100% of the time.

My gf has a situation where she works. No one tells her that she can't take lunch, but she often can't. Why? Well, let's say she can only take lunch at 1 or 2. But they schedule a meeting at 1, and then her relief has his own meeting at 2. The problem is that whenever there is no relief for her position, the boss doesn't know how to do it so almost always she gets called back in and then never gets away again.

So what do you do? Do you risk unemployment or do you just take it because the market for jobs is so poor? Will anything even happen? They aren't telling her she can't go to lunch. They just make it almost impossible to do so.

So I feel for you. These situations suck. As many problems as I have with my boss, he really does do a LOT to make sure he complies, and often times goes above and beyond.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I completely agree about the head-on confrontation, they really could fire me for anything (everyone does mistakes at McDonalds). Thing is it doesn't apply to just me alone, its the entire staff of half a dozen stores in Newcastle. I've researched UK laws on this matter, to sum up the only cases when the employer can withhold the money is in case of staff/customers theft (under certain circumstances, which I believe doesn't allow a constant application of it) or if the employee had signed a specific agreement in regards to the situation (which none of us had done). I think I'm going to make an appointment with Citizens Advice Bureau and discuss it with them. Also making an anonymous complaint to corporate seems like one way to go about this.