Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: Are you for a remixed 6-pack?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, love to hear everything redone from the ground up

    9 24.32%
  • Heck no, don't touch it. It was the way it was meant to be

    28 75.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Remix?

  1. #1
    Eruption
    Join Date
    01.02.04
    Posts
    851
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

    Default Remix?

    I am interested in what everyone thinks about having the VH catalog, especially the older stuff, remixed. I used to personally be completely against it on principle, but after a few of my favorite bands re-released their material, completely remixed and remastered, I am hooked. It gives the music new life and allowed me to appreciate it more. One example is Genesis (they redid their entire back catalog in 2-channel and 5.1). While their music is obviously more complex in textures, instruments, etc., it's amazing the stuff you can now hear that I never even knew existed. I would love to hear VH's stuff with a more modern (not compression, though!) approach and technology. Maybe throw in a real live album (that Ed didn't replay in the studio afterwards).

    Would you all be supportive if VH re-mixed, from the original tapes, the original 6-pack?

    acs

  2. #2
    Good Enough right-here-i-say's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.12.04
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Posts
    1,508
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:09 PM
    Likes
    240
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

    Default

    I'd rather have a new album of songs. But that's not the question you asked. Yeah, I'd take anything....but I'd rather have a new album of songs....
    Right here I say....

  3. #3
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    05.23.00
    Location
    ..this desperate part of town.
    Posts
    2,306
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Likes
    562
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

    Default

    No.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

  4. #4
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    So far, from what I've heard from Eddie in 07-08, he's a shadow of his formal self. Plus, no Mike vocals.

    Absolutely not.

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    04.06.02
    Age
    39
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    879
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1,FW,1984,5150,FUCK,ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    changes every week,love em all
    Last Online

    12.15.16 @ 02:14 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    I would even go a step further and think it would be a cool idea to rerecord say 15 songs aka the greatest hits of the DLR era.
    It'd keep the originals releases the way they always have been and the way they're supposed to sound.
    I think the sounds snippets that are posted on EVHgear (short samples of Unchained, RWTD etc) are awesome. I'd like to hear old VH with a modern approach and an updated sound. Also, I would like to hear how Wolfi's doing.

  6. #6
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    04.16.10
    Age
    26
    Posts
    213
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:09 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    If the question was to just remix the old songs, that would be great, and interesting.

    But I don't want new recordings of the classics from VH4. I'm not exactly one of the lunatics about it here at MikeArmy.com, but who really wants those songs without him?

  7. #7
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,908
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Likes
    2,491
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

    Default

    I still want remasters of the Hagar albums although Balance still sounds fantastic to me. The first three need help, especially OU812. I'd give remixes of the older albums a shot but I don't really think 5.1 in particular suits Van Halen. I'm completely hooked on bands like Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Rush done in 5.1 but those are just completely different kinds of bands with big enveloping sounds. As much as I love VH it's mostly just straight-ahead good-time party rock and that sounds best in stereo to me. I would definitely buy VH (or any other band I like) re-released in high resolution 96kHz/24-bit. If you have a good stereo it's like the audio equivalent of going from standard resolution TV to 1080p. It's a revelation. Of course that won't fit on a normal cd so you've got to either put it on dvd/Blu-ray or download it. That would kick ass, though.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,110
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 10:20 AM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    Maybe then Led Zeppeilin should do a remix of "Stairway" and add some clarinet? Or Paul can re-record "Hey Jude" and change it to "Hey Dude"?
    Just leave them all alone! Dammitt!
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,711
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Likes
    4,330
    Liked 7,875 Times in 4,602 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I would love to hear just instrumentals. No vocals from Dave/Sam. Those guitar only tracks on YT are killer. Ed, Al, and Mike deserve to be heard in that way. Show the world why that band was the best.

  10. #10
    Good Enough right-here-i-say's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.12.04
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Posts
    1,508
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:09 PM
    Likes
    240
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

    Default

    I would appreciate Hang Em High, The Full Bug, and Little Guitars with a little more bass and some symbol. OK, now that we're at it, maybe a little cow bell too?
    Right here I say....

  11. #11
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    04.16.10
    Age
    26
    Posts
    213
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:09 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I still want remasters of the Hagar albums although Balance still sounds fantastic to me. The first three need help, especially OU812. I'd give remixes of the older albums a shot but I don't really think 5.1 in particular suits Van Halen. I'm completely hooked on bands like Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Rush done in 5.1 but those are just completely different kinds of bands with big enveloping sounds. As much as I love VH it's mostly just straight-ahead good-time party rock and that sounds best in stereo to me. I would definitely buy VH (or any other band I like) re-released in high resolution 96kHz/24-bit. If you have a good stereo it's like the audio equivalent of going from standard resolution TV to 1080p. It's a revelation. Of course that won't fit on a normal cd so you've got to either put it on dvd/Blu-ray or download it. That would kick ass, though.
    I like how all the Hagar albums have their own sound, whether it was cause of poor production or not.

  12. #12
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tease View Post
    I would even go a step further and think it would be a cool idea to rerecord say 15 songs aka the greatest hits of the DLR era.
    It'd keep the originals releases the way they always have been and the way they're supposed to sound.
    I think the sounds snippets that are posted on EVHgear (short samples of Unchained, RWTD etc) are awesome. I'd like to hear old VH with a modern approach and an updated sound. Also, I would like to hear how Wolfi's doing.
    Ugh. Those snippets on EVH gear were abonimations. People on youtube have played better versions of those songs.

  13. #13
    Eruption
    Join Date
    01.02.04
    Posts
    851
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Maybe then Led Zeppeilin should do a remix of "Stairway" and add some clarinet? Or Paul can re-record "Hey Jude" and change it to "Hey Dude"?
    Just leave them all alone! Dammitt!
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I am NOT talking about doing anything (re-recording, adding instruments) other than a RE-MIX, using the original tapes, modern equipment, ample time, etc. to produce a superior mix/master. Just better sound, NO new arrangements, players, versions of tunes.

  14. #14
    Eruption
    Join Date
    01.02.04
    Posts
    851
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    Mainly this is born out of the fact that at least 50% of VH's albums sound shitty compared to most standards when comparing sound, mix, general production, etc.. Remixing (with sober-Ed's input) would amount to huge improvements. A lot of bands do this as an offering to the fans and to capitalize on new interest (like now with VH).

  15. #15
    Hot For Teacher OctobanAnimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.20.11
    Location
    Starwood, WA
    Posts
    314
    Favorite VH Album

    Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

    01.28.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I would love to hear just instrumentals. No vocals from Dave/Sam. Those guitar only tracks on YT are killer. Ed, Al, and Mike deserve to be heard in that way. Show the world why that band was the best.
    That would be pretty sweet!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. VH -The Intros Remix
    By LOC in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03.17.09, 04:36 PM
  2. VH - Poundcake (Remix) MP3
    By DVH05 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05.20.08, 04:40 AM
  3. Led Zeppelin + Black Sabbath remix
    By VHisback in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06.29.07, 06:01 PM
  4. VH Rockumentary Remix
    By AUGuy5150 in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07.31.06, 05:44 AM
  5. THE VAN HALEN remix. Can you pick all the tunes?
    By sphill in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08.08.05, 01:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •