Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: Are you for a remixed 6-pack?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, love to hear everything redone from the ground up

9 24.32%
  • Heck no, don't touch it. It was the way it was meant to be

28 75.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remix?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Default Remix?

I am interested in what everyone thinks about having the VH catalog, especially the older stuff, remixed. I used to personally be completely against it on principle, but after a few of my favorite bands re-released their material, completely remixed and remastered, I am hooked. It gives the music new life and allowed me to appreciate it more. One example is Genesis (they redid their entire back catalog in 2-channel and 5.1). While their music is obviously more complex in textures, instruments, etc., it's amazing the stuff you can now hear that I never even knew existed. I would love to hear VH's stuff with a more modern (not compression, though!) approach and technology. Maybe throw in a real live album (that Ed didn't replay in the studio afterwards).

Would you all be supportive if VH re-mixed, from the original tapes, the original 6-pack?

acs

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

I'd rather have a new album of songs. But that's not the question you asked. Yeah, I'd take anything....but I'd rather have a new album of songs....
    Right here I say....

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

No.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

So far, from what I've heard from Eddie in 07-08, he's a shadow of his formal self. Plus, no Mike vocals.

Absolutely not.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH1,FW,1984,5150,FUCK,ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

changes every week,love em all
    Last Online

12.15.16 @ 02:14 AM
    Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts

I would even go a step further and think it would be a cool idea to rerecord say 15 songs aka the greatest hits of the DLR era.
    It'd keep the originals releases the way they always have been and the way they're supposed to sound.
    I think the sounds snippets that are posted on EVHgear (short samples of Unchained, RWTD etc) are awesome. I'd like to hear old VH with a modern approach and an updated sound. Also, I would like to hear how Wolfi's doing.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:09 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

If the question was to just remix the old songs, that would be great, and interesting.

But I don't want new recordings of the classics from VH4. I'm not exactly one of the lunatics about it here at MikeArmy.com, but who really wants those songs without him?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I still want remasters of the Hagar albums although Balance still sounds fantastic to me. The first three need help, especially OU812. I'd give remixes of the older albums a shot but I don't really think 5.1 in particular suits Van Halen. I'm completely hooked on bands like Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Rush done in 5.1 but those are just completely different kinds of bands with big enveloping sounds. As much as I love VH it's mostly just straight-ahead good-time party rock and that sounds best in stereo to me. I would definitely buy VH (or any other band I like) re-released in high resolution 96kHz/24-bit. If you have a good stereo it's like the audio equivalent of going from standard resolution TV to 1080p. It's a revelation. Of course that won't fit on a normal cd so you've got to either put it on dvd/Blu-ray or download it. That would kick ass, though.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:20 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Maybe then Led Zeppeilin should do a remix of "Stairway" and add some clarinet? Or Paul can re-record "Hey Jude" and change it to "Hey Dude"?
    Just leave them all alone! Dammitt!
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 7,875 Times in 4,602 Posts

Premium Member

I would love to hear just instrumentals. No vocals from Dave/Sam. Those guitar only tracks on YT are killer. Ed, Al, and Mike deserve to be heard in that way. Show the world why that band was the best.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

I would appreciate Hang Em High, The Full Bug, and Little Guitars with a little more bass and some symbol. OK, now that we're at it, maybe a little cow bell too?
    Right here I say....

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:09 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I still want remasters of the Hagar albums although Balance still sounds fantastic to me. The first three need help, especially OU812. I'd give remixes of the older albums a shot but I don't really think 5.1 in particular suits Van Halen. I'm completely hooked on bands like Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Rush done in 5.1 but those are just completely different kinds of bands with big enveloping sounds. As much as I love VH it's mostly just straight-ahead good-time party rock and that sounds best in stereo to me. I would definitely buy VH (or any other band I like) re-released in high resolution 96kHz/24-bit. If you have a good stereo it's like the audio equivalent of going from standard resolution TV to 1080p. It's a revelation. Of course that won't fit on a normal cd so you've got to either put it on dvd/Blu-ray or download it. That would kick ass, though.
    I like how all the Hagar albums have their own sound, whether it was cause of poor production or not.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by tease View Post
    I would even go a step further and think it would be a cool idea to rerecord say 15 songs aka the greatest hits of the DLR era.
    It'd keep the originals releases the way they always have been and the way they're supposed to sound.
    I think the sounds snippets that are posted on EVHgear (short samples of Unchained, RWTD etc) are awesome. I'd like to hear old VH with a modern approach and an updated sound. Also, I would like to hear how Wolfi's doing.
    Ugh. Those snippets on EVH gear were abonimations. People on youtube have played better versions of those songs.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Maybe then Led Zeppeilin should do a remix of "Stairway" and add some clarinet? Or Paul can re-record "Hey Jude" and change it to "Hey Dude"?
    Just leave them all alone! Dammitt!
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I am NOT talking about doing anything (re-recording, adding instruments) other than a RE-MIX, using the original tapes, modern equipment, ample time, etc. to produce a superior mix/master. Just better sound, NO new arrangements, players, versions of tunes.

Eruption
    Last Online

Mainly this is born out of the fact that at least 50% of VH's albums sound shitty compared to most standards when comparing sound, mix, general production, etc.. Remixing (with sober-Ed's input) would amount to huge improvements. A lot of bands do this as an offering to the fans and to capitalize on new interest (like now with VH).

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

01.28.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I would love to hear just instrumentals. No vocals from Dave/Sam. Those guitar only tracks on YT are killer. Ed, Al, and Mike deserve to be heard in that way. Show the world why that band was the best.
    That would be pretty sweet!