Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Default VH-1 Classic's "Metal Evolution" Part 2 - The US Division

First of all, "Metal Evolution" is going to be my favorite documentary series of all time. We're two parts into it and I'm already in love with it.

So at the end of it, Sam Dunn points out that Van Halen basically saved American hard rock/heavy metal. Talk about triumphant. However, there's not a Van Halen song in the background. What a bummer! Kind of an anticlimax, if you ask me.

Anyway, Mike was interviewed for this segment. He basically told us that Van Halen were claiming to be "big rock". Also, they showed the US Fest clip of Dave talking about turning the amps around so that everyone would be backstage. Ha ha ha!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Actually just watched this a few minutes ago. Definitely big props for VH and I think an accurate portrayal of their importance to that point. The problem was the show wrapped after literally a minute and a half of talking about VH, so hopefully they will go into more detail about it in part 3.

It will be interesting to see in part 3 if they touch on the double-edged sword of VH: yes, they saved US metal, but they also caused the hair bands that caused its downfall.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,460 Times in 896 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Actually just watched this a few minutes ago. Definitely big props for VH and I think an accurate portrayal of their importance to that point. The problem was the show wrapped after literally a minute and a half of talking about VH, so hopefully they will go into more detail about it in part 3.

It will be interesting to see in part 3 if they touch on the double-edged sword of VH: yes, they saved US metal, but they also caused the hair bands that caused its downfall.
    I was hoping for more as well. And of course, the only ones who gave interviews were the guys NOT in Van Halen.

I am enjoying this documentary though. It's worth watching.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 473 Posts

Hair metal was popular for about 13 years straight so I wouldn't consider that a downfall.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First, VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Top J/Doctor/HoP/Fools
    Last Online

05.24.16 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I don't think VH-1 has permission to play VH recordings. For another countdown, they showed them playing "Runnin with the Devil" live from the US Fest, but not one actual studio recording. That's def. a rights issue.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFVH5150 View Post
    Hair metal was popular for about 13 years straight so I wouldn't consider that a downfall.
    Well it was hair metal that eventually destroyed "metal's" popularity, so yeah, I would say it was it's downfall.

Burn out on hair metal is how the grunge and alternative movements gained so much traction. It really wasn't until recently that a lot of these formerly popular bands have seen a resurgence.

Unfortunately, bands trying to copy Van Halen and then take it to the next level of ridiculousness is what brought us hair metal. I get frustrated with people when they try and lump VH in with glam metal because they see pictures of Dave and his huge hair and crazy outfits. The thing I always attempt to point out to those poor, misinformed souls is that VH was no more glam than Aerosmith, but because of their period of popularity people just assume that VH falls into that category. Apparently to these folks, popular rock in the 80s = glam/hair metal
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

01.28.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well it was hair metal that eventually destroyed "metal's" popularity, so yeah, I would say it was it's downfall.

Burn out on hair metal is how the grunge and alternative movements gained so much traction. It really wasn't until recently that a lot of these formerly popular bands have seen a resurgence.

Unfortunately, bands trying to copy Van Halen and then take it to the next level of ridiculousness is what brought us hair metal. I get frustrated with people when they try and lump VH in with glam metal because they see pictures of Dave and his huge hair and crazy outfits. The thing I always attempt to point out to those poor, misinformed souls is that VH was no more glam than Aerosmith, but because of their period of popularity people just assume that VH falls into that category. Apparently to these folks, popular rock in the 80s = glam/hair metal
    And Van Halen remained popular for a few years after the downfall of hair metal, too, but I've read some magazines that arent guitar mags still call them a hair band.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by OctobanAnimal View Post
    And Van Halen remained popular for a few years after the downfall of hair metal, too, but I've read some magazines that arent guitar mags still call them a hair band.
    OctoMom is right here. VH kept kicking ass as all the hair metal bands were dropping like flies.

However, just like they love to do, they pulled out a shotgun, and like Kurt Cobain, pulled the trigger and spattered brain on the wall. VH killed themselves after '96.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

01.28.12 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    OctoMom is right here. VH kept kicking ass as all the hair metal bands were dropping like flies.

However, just like they love to do, they pulled out a shotgun, and like Kurt Cobain, pulled the trigger and spattered brain on the wall. VH killed themselves after '96.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Everything in music is replaced at some point. What happened to Hair Metal was going to happen regardless of Cobain ripping off Boston. Every music genre also gets stale and loses its street cred as well. Sure VH's influence created Tuff just like Nirvana created Bush and Pearl Jam created Creed.

Everybody rips on Hair Metal but it still has an influence on music today. Take Weezer. Rivers Cuomo was a shredder. ANC started as a hair metal band along with Pantera. There are other musicians who are having an impact on current music today in more subtle ways. Dan Huff from Giant is a name producer in country. Keith Urban uses him along with other name artists. Butch Walker from South Gang produces people from Avril, Katy Perry, Pink etc. Hell if it wasn't for him, there would be none of these alternative pop bands since his band Marvelous 3 basically was the VH for those types of bands. Country these days is basically Hair Metal with fiddles and banjos.

Anyway God bless hair metal. Its cool to still like it even if it got watered down. Music is supposed to lift you up. Not bring you down.

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sirius doesn't play much VH on their hair nation station
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 18,051 Times in 8,922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Country these days is basically Hair Metal with fiddles and banjos.

Anyway God bless hair metal. Its cool to still like it even if it got watered down. Music is supposed to lift you up. Not bring you down.
    Agree on both counts.

I like my angry music just like everyone else, but hair metal was just good time party music, it wasn't meant for the critics, it was meant to crank at a summer barbecue.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:05 PM
    Liked 1,878 Times in 1,097 Posts

vh in 86 basically turned the tables on alot of the hairbands that were out there at the time. Instead of getting dressed up to go out onstage and shoot elaborate video's they basically said "no" and didn't even bother with video's and it wasn't uncommon to see Sam come out in a jean jacket and eddie just with a wife beater on. Look at them on the MOR tour, that is almost the exact opposite of what hairbands were doing at the time. Plus, Ed himself pulled back and stepped away from the pyrotechnics that everyone was copying off of him and focused more on songwriting. They wrote great songs, didn't depend on image at all and "let the music do the talking" that's why VH was still going strong when almost all the other hairbands faded away.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Just watched it and either they did a shitty job of closing that episode or they were setting up the next part to begin with VH. Perhaps after their "Big announcement" on the 30th we could get some comments from Ed, Dave or Al of today? Funny how part one closed with Sammy making the last comment.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by servoguy101 View Post
    Sirius doesn't play much VH on their hair nation station
    No, but they're usually the most played artist any given week on the Boneyard and often on Classic Rewind as well.