Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Default Illinois Teacher Suspended for Showing "The Daily Show" in Class

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1097705.html

An Illinois teacher at Eureka High School is on paid suspension for showing clips of "The Daily Show" in school.

Rhett Felix, a first-year government and law teacher, showed three segments from Jon Stewart's show to his sophomore-level class, The Pantagraph reports. Parents of the students complained that the clips had obscenities, sexual content and the perception that the teacher carries liberal bias.

"When he returns, he will be reassigned to another teaching assignment," School Superintendent Randy Crump said at a school board meeting Monday, according to The Pantagraph. "That's all I can share at this time."

Felix reportedly showed clips from the Oct. 31 and Nov. 2 episodes of the satirical "Daily Show," which discussed sexual harassment allegations against Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain and offering health insurance discounts for those who are physically active.

The Cain segment made euphemistic references to the presidential candidates's pizza business, like "You want sausage on your pie?" and "Want me to stuff your crust?" (WATCH some of the segments Felix reportedly showed in his class.)

Felix also told his students to do an Internet search of Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, referring to his well known yet obscene "Google problem," but warning students not to click on the site, the Peoria Journal Star reports.

Bill Lorenz, whose son was Felix's student, told the Peoria Journal Star that "a kid is a kid," and kids will only do what they are told not to do.

Parent Thomas Enterline told The Pantagraph that he didn't find Stewart's clips funny, but "deplorable."

"I look at what happened out at Penn State," Enterline told the publication. "Even though this doesn't rise to that particular level, I would ask that this board look at these allegations and respond with appropriate resolve."

Felix's suspension comes weeks after a judge in October upheld the decision to fire an Ohio public school teacher who was accused of teaching religious beliefs in class and for keeping a Bible on his desk.

Earlier this month, a New Mexico teacher was put on paid leave for allegedly issuing a "sex survey" to her students that parents found offensive. Although students later spoke out admitting to issuing the survey themselves -- and said they had done so for years -- Rio Rancho High School upheld its decision to keep the teacher on leave.

WATCH a couple of the clips reportedly shown in Felix's class below, and visit The Pantagraph for the rest.

A hat tip to Mother Jones for bringing this story to our attention.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm really interested to see what everyone has to say about this. As a future teacher myself, I am all for bringing various types of media and pop culture into the classroom in order to get students to think critically. Hell, a good portion of one of my classes is devoted to pushing us to think of new ways to engage students with all the resources we have available. I think Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert provide perfect examples of how to look at modern satire and how to critique the media.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:04 PM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 1,004 Posts

Premium Member

The segment in question:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewa...sment-defense/

That segment was awesome.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Oh, for crying out loud. Everybody is too sensitive these days. Basically these parents don't agree with The Daily Show's point-of-view and don't want their children exposed to it. Very close-minded. They're worried about a teacher brainwashing their kids away from their own brainwashing instead of letting young adults make up their minds for themselves. As far as the "sexual content"—what Stewart was doing was grade-school level innuendos. You think teenagers aren't talking worse than that amongst themselves anyway? With the Internet and smartphones these days, do you really think you can protect your young adult offspring from things like this by complaining about a high school teacher?

And the silly thing about this is that the kids could watch The Daily Show in their own home on their own time but their parents just don't want it being a part of the political science curriculum at school.

Wow.
    Last edited by Fontcow; 11.17.11 at 04:51 PM.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:04 PM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 1,004 Posts

Premium Member

Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.17.11 at 04:49 PM.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

I so miss George Carlin.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

I've never watched "The Daily Show" - it has obscenities?

It's up to the teacher to decide what's appropriate for their class, but they need to remember that not everyone wants their children watching something with obscenities or sexual innuendo, even if they turn their head to the fact that that tv that they put in junior's room is probably tuned to "Jersey Shore" or Pauly Shore, whichever is worse.

Teachers would be best to cover theirselves by sending a permission slip home or something.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

George got very bitter in his old age. His act suffered some because of this. He lost some of his wit and replaced it with mean.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Im pretty much a Daily Show addict, but i have to agree with this decision. This is an ENTERTAINMENT program. I'd have the same reaction hearing that The Price Is Right was being shown in class.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I think it wasn't the best choice to use clips from a bit on sex allegations, but if it were a lighter themed bit I would be all for it.

Hell, I actually have a few lessons where I have students watch clips from both the Daily Show and Colbert Report. We then read a little bit from their books, discuss modern satire and backtrack all the way to Jonathan Swift. There is educational value in this stuff, it just needs to be presented correctly.

When I went to TDS taping a few weeks ago I was going to tell Jon Stewart about using his books and show for my classroom, but opted to ask him a question on if he's honest with his friends when they make shitty movies (i.e. Adam Sandler with "Jack and Jill").

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1097705.html

An Illinois teacher at Eureka High School is on paid suspension for showing clips of "The Daily Show" in school.

Rhett Felix, a first-year government and law teacher, showed three segments from Jon Stewart's show to his sophomore-level class, The Pantagraph reports. Parents of the students complained that the clips had obscenities, sexual content and the perception that the teacher carries liberal bias.

"When he returns, he will be reassigned to another teaching assignment," School Superintendent Randy Crump said at a school board meeting Monday, according to The Pantagraph. "That's all I can share at this time."

Felix reportedly showed clips from the Oct. 31 and Nov. 2 episodes of the satirical "Daily Show," which discussed sexual harassment allegations against Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain and offering health insurance discounts for those who are physically active.

The Cain segment made euphemistic references to the presidential candidates's pizza business, like "You want sausage on your pie?" and "Want me to stuff your crust?" (WATCH some of the segments Felix reportedly showed in his class.)

Felix also told his students to do an Internet search of Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, referring to his well known yet obscene "Google problem," but warning students not to click on the site, the Peoria Journal Star reports.

Bill Lorenz, whose son was Felix's student, told the Peoria Journal Star that "a kid is a kid," and kids will only do what they are told not to do.

Parent Thomas Enterline told The Pantagraph that he didn't find Stewart's clips funny, but "deplorable."

"I look at what happened out at Penn State," Enterline told the publication. "Even though this doesn't rise to that particular level, I would ask that this board look at these allegations and respond with appropriate resolve."

Felix's suspension comes weeks after a judge in October upheld the decision to fire an Ohio public school teacher who was accused of teaching religious beliefs in class and for keeping a Bible on his desk.

Earlier this month, a New Mexico teacher was put on paid leave for allegedly issuing a "sex survey" to her students that parents found offensive. Although students later spoke out admitting to issuing the survey themselves -- and said they had done so for years -- Rio Rancho High School upheld its decision to keep the teacher on leave.

WATCH a couple of the clips reportedly shown in Felix's class below, and visit The Pantagraph for the rest.

A hat tip to Mother Jones for bringing this story to our attention.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I'm really interested to see what everyone has to say about this. As a future teacher myself, I am all for bringing various types of media and pop culture into the classroom in order to get students to think critically. Hell, a good portion of one of my classes is devoted to pushing us to think of new ways to engage students with all the resources we have available. I think Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert provide perfect examples of how to look at modern satire and how to critique the media.

The bold parts are the problem. You can show biased "reporting" or even pop culture items in your class as long as you're doing something educational with them.

Suggestive sexuality (the pizza euphemisms) and graphic sexual descriptions (googling santorum) don't belong in a secondary classroom UNLESS you have equally suggestive literature that is approved curriculum and you're comparing them. Even then, I would be nervous without parental consent.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 11.17.11 at 10:53 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Exposing high school students to a little sexually related humour at the hands of Jon Stewart and TDS?

OH MY LORD HEAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!

COOOOOOOMPLTELY INNAPPROPRIATE!!!!!

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 786 Times in 377 Posts

Premium Member

Our education system is loaded with lefty teachers who constantly try to indoctrinate young minds to the liberal way of thinking.
    They ought to keep their personal ideologies out of the classroom, but unfortunately they use their position in the classroom as a platform and pulpit to advance their political/social/(anti)theological ideologies.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Our education system is loaded with lefty teachers who constantly try to indoctrinate young minds to the liberal way of thinking.
    They ought to keep their personal ideologies out of the classroom, but unfortunately they use their position in the classroom as a platform and pulpit to advance their political/social/(anti)theological ideologies.
    Exactly. Would people be saying what is the "big deal" if a teacher made the kids listen to Rush Limbaugh or Hannity in the spirit of being "open minded" to conservative ideals. Methinks not. Stop showing "pop culture TV shows" and TEACH. Keep your biases to yourself.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    I had teachers who leaned right and left, politically (just in case you thought I went to school on a battleship)...it didn't bother me. It didn't offend me and quite frankly if it offends anybody than I, personally, find that pretty ridiculous.

I had liberal teachers and conservative teachers. What's the big deal? High school kids shouldn't be subjected to what they're going to see as they grow up? Left vs Right?

As long as they're didn't constantly shove their bullshit down my throat, I couldn't care less.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member

Dont know about the teacher. Didnt bother with it. That clip was some funny shit. Period. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.