Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Default Rolling Stone Article: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the OWS Protests

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...k=mostpopular3

By Matt Taibbi
    November 10, 2011 8:00 AM ET
    taibbi ows
    TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images

I have a confession to make. At first, I misunderstood Occupy Wall Street.

The first few times I went down to Zuccotti Park, I came away with mixed feelings. I loved the energy and was amazed by the obvious organic appeal of the movement, the way it was growing on its own. But my initial impression was that it would not be taken very seriously by the Citibanks and Goldman Sachs of the world. You could put 50,000 angry protesters on Wall Street, 100,000 even, and Lloyd Blankfein is probably not going to break a sweat. He knows he's not going to wake up tomorrow and see Cornel West or Richard Trumka running the Federal Reserve. He knows modern finance is a giant mechanical parasite that only an expert surgeon can remove. Yell and scream all you want, but he and his fellow financial Frankensteins are the only ones who know how to turn the machine off.

That's what I was thinking during the first few weeks of the protests. But I'm beginning to see another angle. Occupy Wall Street was always about something much bigger than a movement against big banks and modern finance. It's about providing a forum for people to show how tired they are not just of Wall Street, but everything. This is a visceral, impassioned, deep-seated rejection of the entire direction of our society, a refusal to take even one more step forward into the shallow commercial abyss of phoniness, short-term calculation, withered idealism and intellectual bankruptcy that American mass society has become. If there is such a thing as going on strike from one's own culture, this is it. And by being so broad in scope and so elemental in its motivation, it's flown over the heads of many on both the right and the left.

The right-wing media wasted no time in cannon-blasting the movement with its usual idiotic clichés, casting Occupy Wall Street as a bunch of dirty hippies who should get a job and stop chewing up Mike Bloomberg's police overtime budget with their urban sleepovers. Just like they did a half-century ago, when the debate over the Vietnam War somehow stopped being about why we were brutally murdering millions of innocent Indochinese civilians and instead became a referendum on bralessness and long hair and flower-child rhetoric, the depraved flacks of the right-wing media have breezily blown off a generation of fraud and corruption and market-perverting bailouts, making the whole debate about the protesters themselves – their hygiene, their "envy" of the rich, their "hypocrisy."

The protesters, chirped Supreme Reichskank Ann Coulter, needed three things: "showers, jobs and a point." Her colleague Charles Krauthammer went so far as to label the protesters hypocrites for having iPhones. OWS, he said, is "Starbucks-sipping, Levi's-clad, iPhone-clutching protesters [denouncing] corporate America even as they weep for Steve Jobs, corporate titan, billionaire eight times over." Apparently, because Goldman and Citibank are corporations, no protester can ever consume a corporate product – not jeans, not cellphones and definitely not coffee – if he also wants to complain about tax money going to pay off some billionaire banker's bets against his own crappy mortgages.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the political spectrum, there were scads of progressive pundits like me who wrung our hands with worry that OWS was playing right into the hands of assholes like Krauthammer. Don't give them any ammunition! we counseled. Stay on message! Be specific! We were all playing the Rorschach-test game with OWS, trying to squint at it and see what we wanted to see in the movement. Viewed through the prism of our desire to make near-term, within-the-system changes, it was hard to see how skirmishing with cops in New York would help foreclosed-upon middle-class families in Jacksonville and San Diego.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...#ixzz1do4JDWvJ

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

Ok, that was a couple minutes of my life I won't get back.

I should have known better than follow a Rolling Stone link.

I disagree with the vast majority of his assertions.

One thing is blatantly obvious. If you don't like modern popular culture, do what I do, IGNORE IT.

And anyone expecting a government cronie or an industrial tycoon to give a shit about their thoughts and concerns is just wasting their time.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've learned to take anything in RS with about 5lbs of salt.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have yet to figure out what exactly these people want. I tried reading on their webpage, but it's just a lot of mumbo jumbo whistle words strung together in an incoherent fashion. If anyone can explain it in under 5 paragraphs, please do.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

They're mad, and believeme, I get that.

But I just think that is all it is, an expression of anger with no end goal in site.

Unlike the 60's, in which equal rights and ending the Vietnam War were tangible goals, ending corporate greed is just impossible to quantify.

A lot of people are there for different, and in an anarchist kind of way, that is the beauty of it.

But having no end game will probably cause the dwindling of the movement, and let's be honest, municipalities are just going to get tired of the squatters as well.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

They grew up playing on youth sports teams where everyone got a trophy handed to them for showing up regardless if they sucked or if they succeeded in the program...

Now that they are grown up, they still want their trophies handed to them...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,806 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

The only reason for me to look forward to winter is to see frozen hippies. Well providing they can find a park to occupy.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

What I get out of the OWS movement:

Big corporations contribute large sums of money to candidates. They then in turn hire lobbyists to persuade those candidates to pass laws to make it legal for them to make more money.

I don't think it's about wanting a trophy. Americans love celebrities and all have the same dream of being rich themselves. The biggest gripe that OWS has is that WallStreet and large corporations "cheat" their way into wealth.

It's like when bail first started (you know, bail bonds) back in ye olde days of England. Let's say two bakers lived in the same town. One baker becomes friends with the local magistrate, and convinces him that the other baker is selling bad bread or cheating customers or whatever. The magistrate then puts the other baker in jail, so now there's only one baker in town. Bail was created to prevent the second baker to be locked up indefinitely. If he were imprisoned for a long amount of time, the population would simply forget about him and never buy bread there again.

Fast forward a few hundred years, now you have large corporations doing basically the same thing, but with laws and tax breaks, and pork spending to get this or that and so their profits are higher and their payouts are lower.

Just look at the GOP. They want to rid the EPA because it hurts companies from hiring people, or so they say. What they are saying is, "let the companies destroy the environment, and don't put in costly devices to keep it clean, so they can instead spend that money on jobs".

Now since these large corporations have congressmen in their pocket, they get what they want. And that's what OWS is pissed about.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

OWS is a mishmash of things, most of it pretty infantile. A lot of it is kids trying to replicate the shit they saw their grandparents doing in the 60s and think it is cool. And old foggies like Crosby and Nash showing up to relive their youth....yeah...right.

The 60s protests at least had more substance. If you were opposed to the Vietnam war, you stood a good chance of getting drafted and sent over there to fight and perhaps die. While I don't buy all of the sentiment, at least it made sense (logically).