Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:35 AM
    Liked 6,826 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Default "Two And A Half Men"

This review pretty much hits all the notes on how I felt after the premier. Maybe things will improve after all the venom is spewed.... and it seems like they got most of that done in the first ten minutes last night.

Two And A Half Men Season 9 Premiere Review

Anthony Ocasio - ScreenRant Sept 19, 2011

Despite the fact that the Two and a Half Men season 9 premiere isn’t a true representation of what the series will become without Charlie Sheen on board, what is presented is a cringe-worthy attempt at Chuck Lorre trying to satisfy a childish need to have the final word in one of television’s most public feuds.

With a poorly realized opening that awkwardly presents the funeral of Charlie Harper as a disgustingly humorous soiree, all hopes of Lorre competently executing the extremely difficult transition from Harper to Walden Schmidt (Ashton Kutcher) were lost, as the inability to even acknowledge the importance of the character in the series lead to a flurry of STD jokes, and a disturbing acceptance by all to a murder confession.

In a surprisingly brief moment of humanity, Alan (Jon Cryer) eventually provided a much deserved eulogy to the character that helped make Two and a Half Men the television hit that it is (or was). Unfortunately, this moment served to be the only realistic response to the grave themes presented in the premiere.

Making sure that the brilliantly conceived idea of tackling the topic of death remained throughout the 30-minute comedic sitcom, Lorre decided that the best way to introduce Ashton Kutcher to the series was with a failed suicide attempt and a haphazard backstory.

With the general consensus amongst the series’ many fans that Kutcher is unable to capably serve as the new series lead, Lorre never once attempted to prove the vocal majority wrong. Instead of focusing on creating a new character in Schmidt and, in turn, reinvent certain elements of the series’ appeal to viewers, Lorre chooses to introduce him as a distraught, heart-broken billionaire… that will happily have sex with any woman (or women) willing to keep him company.

In that respect, it feels like Lorre’s decision to axe Sheen from the series was never followed up with the appropriate discussion about how the show will grow and evolve through this debacle. The question about replacing Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men was never whether or not they could replace him; it was always about how they would replace him. In an age when television has elevated itself to become a beautiful storytelling medium, audiences have grown to expect a certain level of respect from series creators.

While simply replacing Charlie Harper with the characteristically similar Walden Schmidt allows the writers to continue with minimal changes to the actual thematic execution of Two and a Half Men, it fails to give its audience the respect it deserves, by providing them with the opportunity to find a new reason to enjoy what the series currently represents, not what it used to be.

For all intents and purpose, Lorre has decided against using the Two and a Half Men season 9 premiere to build a new foundation – from which the series can continue. Instead, the ability to publicly ridicule Charlie Sheen through his now-murdered character Charlie Harper served as the driving force of this episode.

In that respect, Lorre has won: Charlie Sheen (through Charlie Harper) is an STD riddled, panty wearing, exploding bag of meat. Congratulations. But now what? What happens next? What will the series now become?

As it currently stands, Two and a Half Man appears to be poorly realized copy of the original. Despite CBS being generally known for securing high ratings for all of its comedies – no matter the quality – one has to ask themselves how much longer this series can last the way it is, especially when a series creator is willing to sacrifice quality to simply “one-up” their enemy.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Respectfully disagree, Sir 47.

After seeing the premiere tonight, I feel totally and completely comfortable in predicting that this will be the final season for 2 1/2.
    Some of my female friends on Facebook are going on this morning about how hot Ashton is on the show. It's going to be around for a while based on that simple fact alone I feel. One of these chicks thinks Steven Tyler is hot, and is the reason she watches Idol every week.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

I watched 2 1/2 Men. I was kinda disappointed. I thought the funeral was pretty funny, but other than that, it kinda sucked.

I wish they had did my idea, finding out Jake got a girl preggo and brought in a new kid, with Alan and Jake getting kicked out cause Charlie doesn't want another kid running around.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

One of the best lines was when Alan was having a quiet, alone moment with Charlie's urn.

"Well, here we are again, I'm talking and you're in a bottle, not listening to me."
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

I always look for Lorre's vanity card after the show (especially when the BS with Sheen was going on) and am really intrigued with the one after last night's show.

I kind of see it as 'give me 3 characters of no special significance and I'll make this show work.'

Anyone else have a take on it?
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    I always look for Lorre's vanity card after the show (especially when the BS with Sheen was going on) and am really intrigued with the one after last night's show.

I kind of see it as 'give me 3 characters of no special significance and I'll make this show work.'

Anyone else have a take on it?

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #348

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #348
    He's saying, "I wonder if Van Halen has a label."

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I thought "men" was very good. They brought an end to Charlie with the funeral, slowly crossed into Ashton and him scaring Alan and dropping Charlie's ashes.

The kid had only a small part and as time goes by he will be used a lot more and then we will see how much chemistry there is.

I was kind of dissappointed with the roast, it did have some great stuff like McFarlane and Shatner but Tyson was not understandable and too many unknowns there. It seemed to be more of a group roast than a Sheen roast. I thought Tyson got more shit thrown at him that Charlie did.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

there will be a big drop off in upcoming weeks

kind of like the record breaking ratings for Jon and Kate when they announced their separation....then a huge drop off

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

I've only seen a few episodes of 2.5 Men so I don't know if this one was better or worse. But I didn't find it very funny at all. Jon Cryer's delivery seems forced and every "audience laugh" sounded like a laugh track. Very unnatural-sounding and too much for the "joke".
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

kind of like the record breaking ratings for Jon and Kate when they announced their separation....then a huge drop off
    Excuse my ignorance but who is Jon and Kate???
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

I'm not saying it will maintain those numbers. I am just saying that the retention could be surprising, especially considering viewership increased during the show (which is a great sign that people enjoyed what they were seeing). Ashton Kutcher has more Twitter followers than any actor (currently 7.7 million). The next-closest actor is Charlie Sheen with 4.9 million.

If half of Kutcher's fans watch the show and only half of last year's Men fans continue to watch, then the show will only have slightly less viewers than last season. And it will skew better in the demo.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    I envy you right now.
    Don't ask. Don't look them up either.
    Your IQ will drop 5 points upon learning their story.
    Seriously.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    STRONG! The testosterone in this one is!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

So I watched this "Two And A Half Men" - probably for only the second time ever. Thought it was cool that "Dharma" and "Greg" showed up, though time apparently has not been kind to them! Also liked Mull's brief appearance - although I'm not a big fan of drugs, but I always like good drug humour.