Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Massachusetts Law Professor Calls Care Packages for U.S. Troops 'Shameful'

A Massachusetts law professor has created a campus firestorm with an email to colleagues that declares it would be "shameful" to send care packages to U.S. troops "who have gone overseas to kill other human beings."

http://www.thesuffolkvoice.net/news/...ersy-1.2697622

Michael Avery, a professor at Suffolk University Law School, sent a five-paragraph email to colleagues in response to a school-wide appeal for care packages for deployed soldiers, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reports.

"I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings," Avery wrote.

The professor, who specializes in constitutional law, wrote the email last week in response to a university drive to collect items for U.S. troops, like sunblock and sanitary products. He also wrote that sympathy for American troops in harm's way is "not particularly rational in today's world."

Paul Spera, past commander in chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, blasted Avery's remarks on Monday, calling the professor's argument "despicable."

"The shameful thing is that he’s teaching our young people," Spera told FoxNews.com.

"One of the things that we've learned from Vietnam is to separate the warriors from the war. You can be opposed to the war -- you can disagree with the tactics and the political decision involved -- but the individuals on the battle field are there protecting us," said Spera, an Army veteran who served in Vietnam.

"Somebody has to stand up to this man," he said, noting that the recipients of such care packages are willing to "lay their lives on the line for the freedoms that this man is abusing."

The university has since been inundated with complaints from students and alumni, claiming Avery's view is not representative of the school community.

"I don't think that reflects the overall feelings of Suffolk Law in general," law student Marisa Roman told the station. "Clearly it's a patriotic school; we have a huge American flag up in the atrium."

Avery reportedly takes exception to the flag as well, claiming that its hanging is "not a politically neutral act."

"Excessive patriotic zeal is a hallmark of national security states. It permits, indeed encourages, excesses in the name of national security, as we saw during the Bush administration, and which continue during the Obama administration," he wrote.

Suffolk University president and provost Barry Brown issued a statement saying the school supported the "free exchange of ideas and robust debate" and respected the "right of our faculty members to exercise academic freedom."

But, Brown said, "As a diverse community, no one opinion or perspective is representative of the views of the whole community."

"While I personally intend to donate a care package for our troops, I respect the right of others to hold a differing perspective," added Camille Nelson, dean of the university's law school. "Suffolk Law, while valuing debate on U.S. military policy, has a well-deserved reputation for supporting armed services personnel in the pursuit of their J.D. degrees and career goals."

Avery declined to comment further on the matter when contacted Monday by FoxNews.com.

The care package drive, meanwhile, will continue despite his objection to it.

"There's individuals who really appreciate and need things we're sending," said student Kelly Bogua.

"I'm participating in it and I think a lot of people are regardless of the email. If anything, he really just discredited himself," she said.

http://michaelgraham.com/archives/su...s-world-rdquo/
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Someone isn't getting blown enough.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

This guy receiving a paycheck is "not particularly rational in today's world" either. I mean come on! It's called appreciation, douchebag. Those our are sons and daughters out there.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    A Massachusetts law professor has created a campus firestorm with an email to colleagues that declares it would be "shameful" to send care packages to U.S. troops "who have gone overseas to kill other human beings."

http://www.thesuffolkvoice.net/news/...ersy-1.2697622

Michael Avery, a professor at Suffolk University Law School, sent a five-paragraph email to colleagues in response to a school-wide appeal for care packages for deployed soldiers, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reports.

"I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings," Avery wrote.

The professor, who specializes in constitutional law, wrote the email last week in response to a university drive to collect items for U.S. troops, like sunblock and sanitary products. He also wrote that sympathy for American troops in harm's way is "not particularly rational in today's world."

Paul Spera, past commander in chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, blasted Avery's remarks on Monday, calling the professor's argument "despicable."

"The shameful thing is that he’s teaching our young people," Spera told FoxNews.com.

"One of the things that we've learned from Vietnam is to separate the warriors from the war. You can be opposed to the war -- you can disagree with the tactics and the political decision involved -- but the individuals on the battle field are there protecting us," said Spera, an Army veteran who served in Vietnam.

"Somebody has to stand up to this man," he said, noting that the recipients of such care packages are willing to "lay their lives on the line for the freedoms that this man is abusing."

The university has since been inundated with complaints from students and alumni, claiming Avery's view is not representative of the school community.

"I don't think that reflects the overall feelings of Suffolk Law in general," law student Marisa Roman told the station. "Clearly it's a patriotic school; we have a huge American flag up in the atrium."

Avery reportedly takes exception to the flag as well, claiming that its hanging is "not a politically neutral act."

"Excessive patriotic zeal is a hallmark of national security states. It permits, indeed encourages, excesses in the name of national security, as we saw during the Bush administration, and which continue during the Obama administration," he wrote.

Suffolk University president and provost Barry Brown issued a statement saying the school supported the "free exchange of ideas and robust debate" and respected the "right of our faculty members to exercise academic freedom."

But, Brown said, "As a diverse community, no one opinion or perspective is representative of the views of the whole community."

"While I personally intend to donate a care package for our troops, I respect the right of others to hold a differing perspective," added Camille Nelson, dean of the university's law school. "Suffolk Law, while valuing debate on U.S. military policy, has a well-deserved reputation for supporting armed services personnel in the pursuit of their J.D. degrees and career goals."

Avery declined to comment further on the matter when contacted Monday by FoxNews.com.

The care package drive, meanwhile, will continue despite his objection to it.

"There's individuals who really appreciate and need things we're sending," said student Kelly Bogua.

"I'm participating in it and I think a lot of people are regardless of the email. If anything, he really just discredited himself," she said.

http://michaelgraham.com/archives/su...s-world-rdquo/
    I would have agreed with these for a few years because I was quite jaded because of the wars, but it's really stupid. This is a extremely left way of thinking.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

uh, I've worked on putting together some of these holiday packages

I can live with my "shame"

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    uh, I've worked on putting together some of these holiday packages

I can live with my "shame"
    And thank you for that. I can say it is always nice getting something when deployed. Everyone always shares what they get so the stuff sent always benefits more than just the one it was sent to.

This professor is wrong in his thinking.
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 18,054 Times in 8,923 Posts

Fuck that Professor.

Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

The only thing disgraceful is that guy's attitude to the brave guys and girls of our services who leave their families behind to do their duty for their country and protect the freedoms we have.

Great job Daisy!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

that professor can kiss my ass

if you are interested for the 5th year the American Red Cross will be sending holiday cards to our troops overseas

http://www.redcross.org/holidaymail

and to make it even easier for just a single buck you can send a card using this service

http://www.mailforheroes.com/mailfor...tentStart.aspx

and if you live in the Toledo area they are putting together packages again this year and you can donate until the 18th of November HURRY!

http://easttoledo.wtol.com/news/comm...through-nov-18

or you can check you local Red Cross or United Way to find out how you can contribute!

it's a very worthwhile cause

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Is this guy for real??

LOL.....what a jack ass.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

I don't understand these people. I'm the biggest pussy in the world and wouldn't last more than 5 seconds in the armed forces and I'm not a war guy at all. But fuck, how can't you have anything but the utmost of respect for the guys and gals who put their life on the line for their country?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

A bit ironic that his specialty is Constitutional Law, no?
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Law Professor Quits Job After Colleague Calls Care Packages for U.S. Troops 'Shameful'

A law professor who is serving overseas in Afghanistan has quit his job at a Massachusetts university after a colleague sent out a controversial e-mail declaring it "shameful" to send care packages to U.S. troops.

U.S. Army Reserve Maj. Robert Roughsedge cut ties with Suffolk University in Boston in response to fellow law professor Michael Avery's defamatory e-mail regarding troops fighting overseas, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reports.

Avery criticized a school-wide drive to collect supplies for soldiers overseas, writing in an email to colleagues: "I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings."

Avery, who specializes in constitutional law, also wrote that sympathy for American troops in harm's way is "not particularly rational in today's world."

In response to Avery's email, Roughsedge submitted his letter of resignation on Monday, telling WTXF in a telephone interview that the e-mail is "hate speech."

"It’s basically like a 5-year-old throwing a temper tantrum," he told the station. "That is not how we teach our students to rationally look at the issues…We want rational adult discourse and that is not something I would tolerate in my class and it is not something the school should tolerate from one of its professors."

Roughsedge was a member of the adjunct faculty at Suffolk University for eight years and taught a popular course on terrorism and the law. He left for Afghanistan in Dec. 2010 and is expected to return home to New Hampshire next month.

Suffolk University president and provost Barry Brown issued a statement last week saying the school supported the "free exchange of ideas and robust debate" and respected the "right of our faculty members to exercise academic freedom."

The school also said it has a proud history of supporting servicemen and women and that the care package drive is receiving a lot of support.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Law Professor Quits Job After Colleague Calls Care Packages for U.S. Troops 'Shameful'

A law professor who is serving overseas in Afghanistan has quit his job at a Massachusetts university after a colleague sent out a controversial e-mail declaring it "shameful" to send care packages to U.S. troops.

U.S. Army Reserve Maj. Robert Roughsedge cut ties with Suffolk University in Boston in response to fellow law professor Michael Avery's defamatory e-mail regarding troops fighting overseas, Fox affiliate WFXT-TV reports.

Avery criticized a school-wide drive to collect supplies for soldiers overseas, writing in an email to colleagues: "I think it is shameful that it is perceived as legitimate to solicit in an academic institution for support for men and women who have gone overseas to kill other human beings."

Avery, who specializes in constitutional law, also wrote that sympathy for American troops in harm's way is "not particularly rational in today's world."

In response to Avery's email, Roughsedge submitted his letter of resignation on Monday, telling WTXF in a telephone interview that the e-mail is "hate speech."

"It’s basically like a 5-year-old throwing a temper tantrum," he told the station. "That is not how we teach our students to rationally look at the issues…We want rational adult discourse and that is not something I would tolerate in my class and it is not something the school should tolerate from one of its professors."

Roughsedge was a member of the adjunct faculty at Suffolk University for eight years and taught a popular course on terrorism and the law. He left for Afghanistan in Dec. 2010 and is expected to return home to New Hampshire next month.

Suffolk University president and provost Barry Brown issued a statement last week saying the school supported the "free exchange of ideas and robust debate" and respected the "right of our faculty members to exercise academic freedom."

The school also said it has a proud history of supporting servicemen and women and that the care package drive is receiving a lot of support.
    Please, why is this news? 90% of college professors are like this guy. This is nothing to get outraged over.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duck View Post
    Please, why is this news? 90% of college professors are like this guy. This is nothing to get outraged over.
    Which guy? The guy that made the stupid statement, or the guy that quit because of it?