Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Why Americans Won't Do Dirty Jobs

Skinning, gutting, and cutting up catfish is not easy or pleasant work. No one knows this better than Randy Rhodes, president of Harvest Select, which has a processing plant in impoverished Uniontown, Ala. For years, Rhodes has had trouble finding Americans willing to grab a knife and stand 10 or more hours a day in a cold, wet room for minimum wage and skimpy benefits.

Most of his employees are Guatemalan. Or they were, until Alabama enacted an immigration law in September that requires police to question people they suspect might be in the U.S. illegally and punish businesses that hire them. The law, known as HB56, is intended to scare off undocumented workers, and in that regard it’s been a success. It’s also driven away legal immigrants who feared being harassed.

Rhodes arrived at work on Sept. 29, the day the law went into effect, to discover many of his employees missing. Panicked, he drove an hour and a half north to Tuscaloosa, where many of the immigrants who worked for him lived. Rhodes, who doesn’t speak Spanish, struggled to get across how much he needed them. He urged his workers to come back. Only a handful did. “We couldn’t explain to them that some of the things they were scared of weren’t going to happen,” Rhodes says. “I wanted them to see that I was their friend, and that we were trying to do the right thing.”

His ex-employees joined an exodus of thousands of immigrant field hands, hotel housekeepers, dishwashers, chicken plant employees, and construction workers who have fled Alabama for other states. Like Rhodes, many employers who lost workers followed federal requirements—some even used the E-Verify system—and only found out their workers were illegal when they disappeared.

In their wake are thousands of vacant positions and hundreds of angry business owners staring at unpicked tomatoes, uncleaned fish, and unmade beds. “Somebody has to figure this out. The immigrants aren’t coming back to Alabama—they’re gone,” Rhodes says. “I have 158 jobs, and I need to give them to somebody.”

There’s no shortage of people he could give those jobs to. In Alabama, some 211,000 people are out of work. In rural Perry County, where Harvest Select is located, the unemployment rate is 18.2 percent, twice the national average. One of the big selling points of the immigration law was that it would free up jobs that Republican Governor Robert Bentley said immigrants had stolen from recession-battered Americans. Yet native Alabamians have not come running to fill these newly liberated positions. Many employers think the law is ludicrous and fought to stop it. Immigrants aren’t stealing anything from anyone, they say. Businesses turned to foreign labor only because they couldn’t find enough Americans to take the work they were offering.

At a moment when the country is relentless focused on unemployment, there are still jobs that often go unfilled. These are difficult, dirty, exhausting jobs that, for previous generations, were the first rickety step on the ladder to prosperity. They still are—just not for Americans.

For decades many of Alabama’s industries have benefited from a compliant foreign workforce and a state government that largely looked the other way on wages, working conditions, and immigration status. With so many foreign workers now effectively banished from the work pool and jobs sitting empty, businesses must contend with American workers who have higher expectations for themselves and their employers—even in a terrible economy where work is hard to find. “I don’t consider this a labor shortage,” says Tom Surtees, Alabama’s director of industrial relations, himself the possessor of a job few would want: calming business owners who have seen their employees vanish. “We’re transitioning from a business model. Whether an employer in agriculture used migrant workers, or whether it’s another industry that used illegal immigrants, they had a business model and that business model is going to have to change.”

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...rss_topStories
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Randy Rhodes is alive and skinng catfish? Seems like a waste of talent if you ask me
    (I know, the spelling....)
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

not sure I see an answer to the question "Why Americans Won't Do Dirty Jobs" - more like a new question - "Why won't Americans do dirty jobs?"

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

The real question seems to be... Why don't people want to work for bread crumbs?

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

This kind of story is not news to me.....Americans in general are not willing to do the "dirty jobs".....and by that I mean the lower paying positions that require hard work, even if it can, and often does, result in using these jobs as a springboard to higher paying positions in the same industry.....If one were to walk through any one of my kitchens I have managed over the last 15 years, one would not see a lot of white American faces......and it's not because the immigrants are hogging them up and working for less pay......it's simply that Americans (white people) are not even applying for the jobs.....and on the rare occasion that I have hired an American (white guy).....they don't last very long, either quitting for whatever reason, or I have had to fire them for being worthless....I have worked in a few kitchens over the years that have half jokingly had a "No White Guys" policy.....in my experience, it has been simply a fact that White America is no longer willing to bust their ass to move up in the world.....they want it handed to them and take for granted what the immigrants do not.....

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:38 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Mike Rowe does dirty jobs and he is an American. In fact, it's ironic that he actually host a show on the discovery channel called, " Dirty Jobs". That's fucking strange, huh.

But still, I don't get this thread!

HH<--- has 2 dirty jobs! Smoke, soot, blood, guts, TB exposure, Aids, HIV, Hep A thru C, and every other fucking nasty disease you can think of, I get up close and personal with it!!! Lucky me!! Oh, I'm a American also!!----------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks Randy's greedy ass would benefit from paying just a couple dollars an hour more and offering benefits? Or does mentioning such an idea make me a lazy American?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'll tell you why, because most people think this is beneath them. Even in Alabama. And thats a stretch.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 7,895 Times in 4,618 Posts

Premium Member

Americans willing to grab a knife and stand 10 or more hours a day in a cold, wet room for minimum wage and skimpy benefits.

Pretty self explanatory as to why they won't. I personally think you should take what you can until something better arises. I also think some better pay and benefits would help.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I'll tell you why, because most people think this is beneath them. Even in Alabama. And thats a stretch.
    Yep! Couldn't agree more!

HH<-------got a new truck with my hard earned----------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Americans willing to grab a knife and stand 10 or more hours a day in a cold, wet room for minimum wage and skimpy benefits.

Pretty self explanatory as to why they won't. I personally think you should take what you can until something better arises. I also think some better pay and benefits would help.
    This too!! Not asking to much!!

HH<--------Van Halen signed to a new record company! See story in main. I know stuff-----------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    #officialhashtaghater

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Try cleaning up dog and cat shit in a veterinary clinic sometime. Oh yeah and holding dogs and cats that want to bite and scratch the hell out of you and put you in the hospital. I did it for 2.50 and hour from 73-81 and I would not have done anything any different in my life.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:42 PM
    Liked 18,182 Times in 8,986 Posts

Answer:

Because the American man has become a lazy, entitled, pussified version of his former self.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Answer:

Because the American man has become a lazy, entitled, pussified version of his former self.
    From an SNL skit MANY years ago after Japans PM (I think) stated that americans are fat & lazy:

"Some american workers are fat, some are lazy and some are of course fat and lazy."

TVH
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Answer:

Damn lazy Americans who don't want to work for peanuts under shitty conditions!! How dare we expect worker's rights and a livable wage, assholes!!