Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.08.11 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default To those who own an EVH

I was thinking of getting one of the charvels (they pop up on ebay from time to time). I am a bit reticent because a part of me feels it removes a sense of personal identity. The guitars obviously scream "EVH" as opposed to "me" or "you".

Has this been a consideration for any of you who have purchased one of these? I've talked to some other people and they say "I wouldn't get one. It's too EVH".

Your thoughts, please?

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

why waste your money? without the paint job there is nothing to them. get a wolfgang.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I'd say something along those lines too.
    If you otherwise dig the Charvel, but are iffy about the EVH paintjob, then just get one of the new single pickup/knob Charvels. They go for around $700.00 to $800.00 new. They are awesome guitars if that's what you like for options. If you want more options, but want an EVH specific guitar, then the Wolf, or an Axis (or original EVH EBMM if you can find a good enough deal online) would be the way to go.
    I thought hard about getting one of the black and white EVH Charvels, but I had the same reservations as you. It was a fair chunk of change for something that visually could limit your comfort playing to a crowd. I just didn't want the buyers remorse, and I passed.
    if it's just gonna a be a home or studio mule...Who cares....It's your money.
    Be happy however you decide.
    J
    Last edited by we die young; 11.07.11 at 03:21 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1

If you really like the Charvel guitar, but are worrying about the paint job, then get a Charvel So Cal. Those are great guitars, and they do offer some options between finishes and pickups too. With the money you'd save buying a So Cal instead of the EVH Art Series, you could easily build yourself a second guitar using quality parts, and stripe that one up yourself.

If you'd really like an actual EVH guitar, although more subtle than an Art Series, definitely check out the Peavey Wolfgangs, the EVH Wolfgang USAs, and the Ernie Ball Axis guitars. If you could find an EBMM EVH model at a non-collector price, by all means get it if you like it. But in general, all the other options are in the same ballpark pricewise.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 11.07.11 at 04:15 PM.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

If I was wealthy I would get them...just to have.

They are a basswood San Dimas with a different pickup.

I have a flat black wildcard USA one with a single JB hardmounted made of alder. The difference is the paint job, pickup, and body wood...and 1200 bucks.

It's a great sounding guitar that I played for 10 minutes and placed away to keep mint.

You could get one of those and either stripe it yourself (or not) and use the money you saved to get some other gear.

Some people have no problems playing replica in front of people...mine are all for when I am alone. When you see those stripes you want to hear VH and nothing else. IMO...

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I had a RWB EVH Art Series for awhile. It was a good guitar. I'd heard that some of them were dogs, but the one I got was top notch. I did really like the tone I got out of it. It was Classic VH tone all the way.

I can see why someone would be reluctant to play it out with a band. The paintjob definitely raises the expectation that you will at least play some VH songs.

The thing that really turned me off to the Art Series, and the reason I got rid of it, is the neck adjustment. I think it's rediculous that can't adjust the neck without taking the neck loose.

I really always wanted an EBMM/EVH, but I gave up on getting one, so I traded the Charvel for a 20th anniversary single cut PRS. I had it for about 6 months when, wouldn't you know it, a used EBMM/EVH comes into my local music store at a good price, so I traded the PRS for it.

Now I have the EVH guitar that I've always wanted, and in my opinion, the best of the EVH guitars. I've owned several Peavey Wolfgangs, and they are great, but the EBMM just has the mojo.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.08.11 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. The thing is I love the paintjob. I'm mostly a bedroom player so I'll still consider it. Thanks again.

Eruption
    Last Online

in that case you answered your own ?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

The smartest thing to do if you want a Frankenstein replica is get a body and a neck from a top notch company like Musikraft. Then, if you really want you can find someone that really knows how to paint the guitar accurately. Then put the right parts on. You'll be out roughly the same money as if you had bought a new Charvel and it will be 1000% more accurate than any production model guitar out there.

The production model Charvel EVH guitars had very little to do with the actual guitars they were meant to replicate. The only one that is somewhat close was the Charvel EVH with the Bee paint scheme, but that is more about the cosmetics.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

I have an EVH Charvel (Red, Black and White), and I love it. I have always dug the EVH stripes, so I got one.

I also have an EVH Fender Wolfgang Special (Japanese), and I don't like it. The EVH Charvel blows it out of the water. The EVH Charvel is very brown sounding compared to the EVH Wolfgang. The EVH Wolfgang really lacks in warmth and tonality.

Just my 2 cents.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

I guess they are ok. A buddy of mine has one and I play it from time to time and its not a bad player. However.... not a great one either in my opinion. My Kramer 1984 craps all over the EVH art series guitars.

if the EVH paintjob is what you want then get the parts and build an EVH guitar to exact specs as Eds old mongrels and you will have a better looking and more close replica and better playing guitar. I have PV Wolfs, EBMM EVH, Fender EVH special Wolf and numerous EVH replica guitars built and painted by myself, Scott Smith, Jerry Lica, Divebomb inc etc and every one of them blows the art series I played away in every way possible.
    if you want a quick and easy evh stripe job guitar that plays ok, then grab an art series and you will be satisfied I guess.
    my 2 cents....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Rob is right!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I have an EVH Charvel (Red, Black and White), and I love it. I have always dug the EVH stripes, so I got one.

I also have an EVH Fender Wolfgang Special (Japanese), and I don't like it. The EVH Charvel blows it out of the water. The EVH Charvel is very brown sounding compared to the EVH Wolfgang. The EVH Wolfgang really lacks in warmth and tonality.

Just my 2 cents.
    whereas the peavey wolf specials feel and sound great, i have to agree with you that the evh specials are no where near the same as the usa model.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    whereas the peavey wolf specials feel and sound great, i have to agree with you that the evh specials are no where near the same as the usa model.
    Yeah...I don't know what it is about the EVH Specials. I went in kinda thinking they should theoretically be fairly similar in feel to the American version, but they are no where near the same. They actually seem pretty dead and lifeless to me. No disrespect to those who own one, but the ones I have tried have been less than inspiring.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Yeah...I don't know what it is about the EVH Specials. I went in kinda thinking they should theoretically be fairly similar in feel to the American version, but they are no where near the same. They actually seem pretty dead and lifeless to me. No disrespect to those who own one, but the ones I have tried have been less than inspiring.
    yep