Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Default Unemployment Benefits: Most Of The Unemployed No Longer Receive Benefits

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1077640.html

WASHINGTON — The jobs crisis has left so many people out of work for so long that most of America's unemployed are no longer receiving unemployment benefits.

Early last year, 75 percent were receiving checks. The figure is now 48 percent – a shift that points to a growing crisis of long-term unemployment. Nearly one-third of America's 14 million unemployed have had no job for a year or more.

Congress is expected to decide by year's end whether to continue providing emergency unemployment benefits for up to 99 weeks in the hardest-hit states. If the emergency benefits expire, the proportion of the unemployed receiving aid would fall further.

The ranks of the poor would also rise. The Census Bureau says unemployment benefits kept 3.2 million people from slipping into poverty last year. It defines poverty as annual income below $22,314 for a family of four.

Yet for a growing share of the unemployed, a vote in Congress to extend the benefits to 99 weeks is irrelevant. They've had no job for more than 99 weeks. They're no longer eligible for benefits.

Their options include food stamps or other social programs. Nearly 46 million people received food stamps in August, a record total. That figure could grow as more people lose unemployment benefits.

So could the government's disability rolls. Applications for the disability insurance program have jumped about 50 percent since 2007.

"There's going to be increased hardship," said Wayne Vroman, an economist at the Urban Institute.

The number of unemployed has been roughly stable this year. Yet the number receiving benefits has plunged 30 percent.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

I don't work a high paying job. I think the Congress should end the extended unemployment benefits. When I lost my high paying job in 2003, I got -one- extension. Guess what.... when the benefits finally ran out.... I got up off my ass and found a job! It didn't pay close to what the other job had....but, I was working.

So, another extension shouldn't happen. But, it's an election year cycle, so I don't know what the cronies in DC will come up with.

I say FU to those wanting another GD extension with tax-payer dollars... You're taking in more in unemployment than I pull in working. So get off your fucking ass and take a job (or two), WHEREVER you can find it. Humbly isn't it MFs!!

Working is better than not working, for those with dignity.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...ions-no-taxes/

30 Major Corporations Paid No Income Taxes In The Last Three Years, While Making $160 Billion

By Pat Garofalo on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:15 am

One of the driving forces behind the ongoing Occupy Wall Street protests is the fact that corporations have not been paying their fair share in taxes. A new report from Citizens for Tax Justice will no nothing to alleviate the protesters’ frustration.

CTJ looked at 280 companies, all of them members of the Fortune 500, and found that “while the federal corporate tax code ostensibly requires big corporations to pay a 35 percent corporate income tax rate, on average, the 280 corporations in our study paid only about half that amount.” And those who paid even half the statutory corporate tax rate paid far more than many of their competitors.

In fact, in the last three years, 78 corporations had at least one year where they paid no federal income tax at all, while 30 corporations paid not a dime over the entire three years. Those 30 corporations paid nothing, even though they made $160 billion in profits over that period:

– Seventy-eight of the 280 companies paid zero or less in federal income taxes in at least one year from 2008 to 2010…In the years they paid no income tax, these companies earned $156 billion in pretax U.S. profits. But instead of paying $55 billion in income taxes as the 35 percent corporate tax rate seems to require, these companies generated so many excess tax breaks that they reported negative taxes (often receiving outright tax rebate checks from the U.S. Treasury), totaling $21.8 billion. These companies’ “negative tax rates” mean that they made more after taxes than before taxes in those no-tax years.

– Thirty corporations paid less than nothing in aggregate federal income taxes over the entire 2008-10 period. These companies, whose pretax U.S. profits totaled $160 billion over the three years, included: Pepco Holdings (–57.6% tax rate), General Electric (–45.3%), DuPont (–3.4%), Verizon (–2.9%), Boeing (–1.8%), Wells Fargo (–1.4%) and Honeywell (–0.7%).

As CTJ’s report put it, “just as workers pay their fair share of taxes on their earnings, so should successful businesses pay their fair share on their success. But today corporate tax loopholes are so out of control that most Americans can rightfully complain, ‘I pay more federal income taxes than General Electric, Boeing, DuPont, Wells Fargo, Verizon, etc., etc., all put together.’ That’s an unacceptable situation.” And its one that lawmakers could fix, if they were willing to stand up to the nation’s biggest corporations.

I'm not too sure about this source. But I'm throwing it out there.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 11.05.11 at 01:40 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,337 Times in 3,183 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

One of the big problems in America is that people are unwilling to take a lesser job just to survive. Like fast food or home depot or something. There are jobs but people thing certain ones are beneath them.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    One of the big problems in America is that people are unwilling to take a lesser job just to survive. Like fast food or home depot or something. There are jobs but people thing certain ones are beneath them.
    Fast food doesn't keep up a family with 3 kids.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Fast food doesn't keep up a family with 3 kids.
    Its a job. They are out there people just don't want them because they think they're "better" than that. A job is a job, money is money.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Its a job. They are out there people just don't want them because they think they're "better" than that. A job is a job, money is money.
    What good is a job that doesn't support a family? Unless your single, or live with a bunch of other people are whatever.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...ions-no-taxes/

30 Major Corporations Paid No Income Taxes In The Last Three Years, While Making $160 Billion

By Pat Garofalo on Nov 3, 2011 at 9:15 am

One of the driving forces behind the ongoing Occupy Wall Street protests is the fact that corporations have not been paying their fair share in taxes. A new report from Citizens for Tax Justice will no nothing to alleviate the protesters’ frustration.

CTJ looked at 280 companies, all of them members of the Fortune 500, and found that “while the federal corporate tax code ostensibly requires big corporations to pay a 35 percent corporate income tax rate, on average, the 280 corporations in our study paid only about half that amount.” And those who paid even half the statutory corporate tax rate paid far more than many of their competitors.

In fact, in the last three years, 78 corporations had at least one year where they paid no federal income tax at all, while 30 corporations paid not a dime over the entire three years. Those 30 corporations paid nothing, even though they made $160 billion in profits over that period:

– Seventy-eight of the 280 companies paid zero or less in federal income taxes in at least one year from 2008 to 2010…In the years they paid no income tax, these companies earned $156 billion in pretax U.S. profits. But instead of paying $55 billion in income taxes as the 35 percent corporate tax rate seems to require, these companies generated so many excess tax breaks that they reported negative taxes (often receiving outright tax rebate checks from the U.S. Treasury), totaling $21.8 billion. These companies’ “negative tax rates” mean that they made more after taxes than before taxes in those no-tax years.

– Thirty corporations paid less than nothing in aggregate federal income taxes over the entire 2008-10 period. These companies, whose pretax U.S. profits totaled $160 billion over the three years, included: Pepco Holdings (–57.6% tax rate), General Electric (–45.3%), DuPont (–3.4%), Verizon (–2.9%), Boeing (–1.8%), Wells Fargo (–1.4%) and Honeywell (–0.7%).

As CTJ’s report put it, “just as workers pay their fair share of taxes on their earnings, so should successful businesses pay their fair share on their success. But today corporate tax loopholes are so out of control that most Americans can rightfully complain, ‘I pay more federal income taxes than General Electric, Boeing, DuPont, Wells Fargo, Verizon, etc., etc., all put together.’ That’s an unacceptable situation.” And its one that lawmakers could fix, if they were willing to stand up to the nation’s biggest corporations.

I'm not too sure about this source. But I'm throwing it out there.
    lot of electric companies on that list - what's up with that?

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

What good is a job that doesn't support a family? Unless your single, or live with a bunch of other people are whatever.
    How is "something" not better than "nothing"? May not be able to fully support a family of three working at Mickey D's, but how much can you support them working at nothing with no benefits?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    How is "something" not better than "nothing"? May not be able to fully support a family of three working at Mickey D's, but how much can you support them working at nothing with no benefits?
    Exactly.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I can certainly sypathize with some of the unemployed in this country, but what's sad is that the stats don't clearly show how many people are underemployed right now. Don't know if this is the case everywhere, but in this county, Home Depot, McDonald's, etc are not hiring full time employees, only part time, which hurts even more.

A good friend of mine lost an excellent job a few years back, and is now working at Home Depot and even does opening and closings frequently (sometimes comes in for opening and gets sent home until closing time), but he is only getting 30 hours a week, tops.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Interesting. My employer is on that list.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I'm just pointing out how silly this I don't need no help stuff is.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

I'm just pointing out how silly this I don't need no help stuff is.
    I just don't understand this line of thinking.

Take the job making $10 an hour, take two if you have to, and keep looking for a better job.

I am not making light of it, or saying it is easy, but damn, standing around expecting a government hand out is ludicrous.

You can't live off of an unemployment check either by the way.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:36 PM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

^ But I think that what you guys are missing is that if someones options are to either work 50 hours/week at McDonalds and sink and lose your home and everything anyway, or else collect unemployment and keep your head above water and hope that something turns up, then people will naturally choose to keep their heads above water (on unemployment benes) and hope that things will turn around.

I am less inclined these days though to believe that things will ever be the way that they were before this crash, when everyone was recklessly buying their American dream on credit. Those days are over and never coming back.

People are holding out hope that this is just a dip in the road. I don't think so.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_