Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Flamingo fundraiser ruffles feathers

QUINCY — A fundraiser for Quincy High School’s post-prom “Senior Night Out” party has ruffled some feathers in the community.

Carol Abbott, a longtime resident of the Merrymount section of Quincy, found about a dozen plastic flamingos and two signs stuck in her front lawn around 10 p.m. Sunday.

The signs read, “You have been flocked.” A flyer attached to the back called the “flocking” a “fun, community fundraiser.”

Quincy High seniors “flock” someone by sticking plastic flamingos in a designated Quincy family’s yard for a day. For a $20 donation, the person who was “flocked” can then “flock” someone else.

“This is trespassing and vandalism,” Abbott said. “What message are we sending these kids? This is not fun. This is not a joke. I don’t want to be (flocked).”

Quincy police Capt. John Dougan said a call came in at 12:40 p.m. Monday and an officer was sent to address Abbott’s complaint. The officer did not remove the flamingos but allowed a member of Quincy High School’s parent advisory council to pick them up later in the afternoon.

“It is absolutely, positively not vandalism,” Dougan said. “There’s no malicious intent.”

Ursula Schulte, treasurer for the parent advisory council, said the fundraiser, now in its third year, is only meant for fun. The council will remove the flamingos if a person does not want them, she said.

This is only the third time someone has asked the council to remove the flamingos, she said.

Most people enjoy participating, Schulte said. There’s even a waiting list for people interested in “flocking” their friends.

It is the first complaint police have received about the fundraiser, Dougan said.

The annual “flocking” will raise $3,500 to $4,000 for Quincy High’s 2012 Senior Night Out, Schulte said. The party, which costs $11,000 to $12,000 to hold, is free for all Quincy High seniors and their prom dates.

The event keeps 500 to 700 students overnight in a fun, drug- and alcohol-free environment, Quincy High School Principal Frank Santoro said.

Santoro said of the flamingo fundraiser, “We do it because it keeps hundreds of students safe after the prom. It’s probably the major reason we can have our Senior Night Out.”

Abbott, who volunteered with elementary, middle and high school parent-teacher organizations until her son graduated in 2009 from Quincy High, said she would have never approved this kind of fundraiser in her days as PTO president.

“If I was on that committee, I would be the loudest ‘no,’” she said. “It’s just the principle of the thing.”

Capt. Dougan said, “This isn’t even a practical joke. It’s just a fundraiser.”

Video: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/l...-is-vandalism/

Carol Abbott
    November 1, 2011, 11:50 AM
    Well, I am pleased that my misery has aroused the City of Presidents, I wonder what John Adams would have done with trespassers on his property? The basis of our country is owning land and caring for it. Protecting it. Priding oursleves on it. I am all for fundraising. Did it for 12 years with the Quincy School system. Telling children that they can go on anyone’s private property, leave them “gifts” and ask for money is incomprehensible to me. At least a resident should be given the chance to opt out once they have been chosen to be “flocked”. A simple call or visit prior to the invasion would have averted this whole situation. I also object to the “flock” word and its connotations. Another great thing to teach our children. I really wonder what this example is teacing them. For the entire 25 years that I have lived in Merrymount, I have always kept my property in tiptop shape. Anyone who drives by my home knows that I take much pride in my property and its appearance. That is not misery, that is enjoyment and the belief that something worth having is worth keeping nice. As for the election, just vote – that is your civic duty. I have not missed an election since I was 18. I am proud to be an American. Isn’t it wonderful to live in a place where we are all entitled to our opinions! P.S. No cats and no husband – happily on both.

Read more: Flocks of flamingos | City of Presidents http://blogs.wickedlocal.com/quincy_...#ixzz1cetMWBhb
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a freakin' joyless biyatch! Was there permanent damage? No. Did they not say they would remove them immediately if someone did not want to participate? Yes. Really, what is her issue to have this much of a problem???
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:43 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

I get it if people don't want to participate, but is this really something to waste police time over? Call the school and tell them to take them off. Problem solved.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:05 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I think this beeatch needs to be "flocked." Good god, its a fundraiser. I would pay $20 knowing that it would go to a alcohol-free party for seniors after the prom. What a douchebag!!!
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,131 Times in 8,955 Posts

No kidding.

I hope she doesn't shoot kids that cut across her lawn when getting home from school.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That woman is out of her mind. She's just asking to have her yard tore up with a few quick donuts in daddy's truck. I like how she says she isn't married and doesn't have any cats and she's happy about that. Like she has choice.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

She sounds like fun. I wanna party with her.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:43 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

I've known organizations that do these, and there is always a phone number you can call to have some one remove the items

I think her problem is with the word "flocked" and its "connotations"

perhaps her problem is that needs to get flocked more often

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

=VH=
    Favorite VH Song

=VH=
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The menace's loose again...

She is just asking for this...

For the wreath on the front door...

a few of these dumped around...

a li'l added flavor to a few snickers, and a splash on the toilet seat covers...
    (feel free to add a few kernels of corn to a couple sloppy snickers)

Since its her time of the month...

and a li'l more flavor should top off her well maintained bush covers...

Last edited by Magic W. Meanstreet; 11.03.11 at 03:04 PM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

=VH=
    Favorite VH Song

=VH=
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Come back to your senses, baby we can come to terms...

AP student body always strive to to well in school...

for less than $20 she could get this...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

isn't she a doll. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that married her (assuming some guy was that stupid).

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    isn't she a doll. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that married her (assuming some guy was that stupid).
    Her ending comments was "no cats, no husband.... happy about both". It does explain her lack of humor since she probably hasn't been laid in years and years.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

[QUOTE=loveevhsince79;1408251]What a freakin' joyless biyatch! QUOTE]

The youth group at our church does this. I don't believe they refer to it as flockking, though. I don't recall that there's ever been a complaint, but we have a small congregation.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 4,800 Times in 2,450 Posts

Premium Member

Well shit my entire city has been flocked. Our city bird is the flamingo and basically everybody will either own one or be given a yard ornament because it's a Cleveland joke.

Hell I had two in my back yard up until my dogs piss rusted out the legs.