Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Obama: God backs jobs plan

President Barack Obama Wednesday said even God wanted to put Americans back to work, invoking divine blessing for his joust with Republicans over measures designed to slice into high unemployment.

Obama also taunted his foes with historic arguments in favor of repairing vital infrastructure once made by conservative icon Ronald Reagan, as he stumped for a $60 billion infrastructure bill being taken up by the Senate.

The president rebuked the House of Representatives for passing a bill reaffirming the US motto "In God We Trust" rather than getting to work on his stalled $447 billion jobs program.

"That's not putting people back to work. I trust in God, but God wants to see us help ourselves by putting people back to work," the president said.

Obama's spokesman Jay Carney denied that Obama had perhaps gone too far by dragging the Almighty into a fierce political spat.

"I believe that the phrase from the Bible is 'the Lord helps those who help themselves,'" Carney said.

"I think the point the president is making is that, you know, we have it within our capacity to do the things to help the American people."

The White House was later forced to clarify however that the phrase Carney used, though often mistaken for scripture, was not in fact biblical.

Obama ruffled Republican feathers with his remarks as he appeared in front of a commuter bridge between Washington DC and Virginia, which is in need of repairs, to call on Republicans to back a $60 billion jobs and infrastructure bill.

"There's no good reason to oppose this bill, not one. And members of Congress who do, who vote no, are going to have to explain why to their constituencies," Obama said.

"The American people are with me with this," Obama said, intensifying his campaign to blame Republicans for inaction on bills he says could put hundreds of thousands of Americans back to work and cut 9.1 percent unemployment.

But Republican and industry sources argued the infrastructure bill being taken up by the Senate could actually hamper movement towards a multi-year transportation bill that is also caught in congressional gridlock.

They said Obama's policies would also result in increased taxes on small businesses that would hamper growth and job creation, reflecting the fierce ideological divides cleaving Washington.

Obama also resorted to one of his favorite rhetorical tricks by quoting Reagan, who was president from 1981 to 1989, and is a hero to modern day conservatives, to decry Republican policies.

Reagan, Obama said, argued that it was "common sense" to repair bridges and highways before they needed to be rebuilt in future years at many times the cost.

"Since when do we have Republicans voting against Ronald Reagan's ideas?"

The infrastructure bill is one portion of his stalled $447 billion jobs bill that Obama is trying to drive through a gridlocked Congress, and would invest in airports, roads, bridges, railroads and highways.

But it is unclear if the bill will garner the 60 Senate votes needed to overcome blocking tactics by Republicans who accuse Obama of trying to double down on failed stimulus spending.

In recent votes, several Democratic senators from conservative states where the president's economic policies are unpopular, have also declined to back portions of the jobs plans.

Meanwhile, a blame game is in full swing between Republicans and Democrats over the failure to pass jobs measures.

Republicans argue that they have ushered 15 bills through the House of Representatives only to see them founder in the Democratic-led Senate as part of Obama's plans to run against a "do nothing" Congress next year.

"A Democratic majority in the Senate (has) teamed up with the White House on a strategy of doing nothing," said Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

"The president's economic policies have failed to do what he said they would. And now he's designing legislation to fail."

But the White House says Republican ideas would do nothing to tackle unemployment in the short term and say urgent action is required now.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

In all seriousness, we have have a major recession and super high unemployment... and the Republicans are wasting their time passing bills like "In God We Trust." Really?

Obama's job's bill is riddled with proposals that Republicans used to support. Infrastructure, payroll tax cuts... how come they can't support them now? It's becoming harder and harder for Republicans to justify their actions other than wanting Obama to be a one-termer.

Bills start in the House, now R controlled, and I haven't seen anything from them that seriously tackles joblessness, other than the myth that tax cuts for the rich somehow create jobs.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I'm sure He has to say something when you pray to Him five times a day.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:36 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

At this point you'd think he would be more concerned with tracking down the 20,000 shoulder fired anti-aircraft missiles that he liberated from Libya.
    That would make a good jobs bill for the jackass.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 18,197 Times in 8,991 Posts

I have two thoughts on this jobs bill.

A) There is never any talk about how it is going to be paid for with new bills. And that is not being party specific, I throw them all into that pile.

B) I don't like the President's proposal, I think it is crap, but I don't understand how the Republicans can't come up with something on their own to submit. Maybe I am missing it, but I don't see them lighting us up with proposals.

This country needs to come up with a long term financial plan. Even if the plan takes twenty years to get us where we need to be, at least it is a plan. Right now we are just hoping, and as a financial planner myself, that is akin to people "hoping" they will have enough for their retirement without planning for it.

Summary: all of them are morons. But what do you expect, almost half of them are attorneys.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I have two thoughts on this jobs bill.

A) There is never any talk about how it is going to be paid for with new bills. And that is not being party specific, I throw them all into that pile.

B) I don't like the President's proposal, I think it is crap, but I don't understand how the Republicans can't come up with something on their own to submit. Maybe I am missing it, but I don't see them lighting us up with proposals.

This country needs to come up with a long term financial plan. Even if the plan takes twenty years to get us where we need to be, at least it is a plan. Right now we are just hoping, and as a financial planner myself, that is akin to people "hoping" they will have enough for their retirement without planning for it.

Summary: all of them are morons. But what do you expect, almost half of them are attorneys.
    That's what's so frustrating about the non-stop campaigning and partisan politics - the republicans want Obama to fail more than they care about Americans and our future. They care more about achieving power. Same thing when Bush was in office - the left was absolutely obsessed with ensuring that he looked bad all the time. The opposing party can never agree or they are afraid they'll lose voters.
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 2,244 Times in 1,133 Posts

Premium Member

Two things.

One, his line taken out of context. Much like the thread about the zombie Obama shot in the head, seeing (or hearing) in context really tames the situation considerably.

Two, I find it ironic that he thinks God wants us to help ourselves, but the means to do so according to him is through government. So God can't/won't do it, but you can count on the government. Government > God. Gotcha.

He should take his own advice and tell his constituents to help themselves instead of waiting on the government to do something first. When did we all become a bunch of whiney pussies?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Obama had a way to pay for it, raise taxes on the uber rich. Of course republicans (most of those the uber rich) don't want to do that.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I agree to a point.

You have to be careful how you tax the rich, as they might just take their ball and go play somewhere else.

35% of a million is better than 45% of zero.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:36 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

I agree to a point.

You have to be careful how you tax the rich, as they might just take their ball and go play somewhere else.

Yeah I'm sure China's lovely this time of year.(LOL)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Bingo.

The rich will protect their assets. I know a couple of people that have moved their $$$ to Dubai already and a couple more that are talking about going to Costa Rica.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabby gabbster View Post
    other than the myth that tax cuts for the rich somehow create jobs.
    MYTH?

I own my company.
    I have 5 employees (including myself).
    I would love to hire one more employee but if my taxes go up more not only will I not be able to do that, but I will be getting rid of one that I have now.
    I am not rich but I am better off than most and am determined to continue to better myself and my employees(as long as they work at least as hard as I do) but if the government decides I owe more and it hampers my lifestyle it will cost someone a job. Conversely, if I get to keep more of my money I can hire another person that, in turn will make me more money, which if you haven't guessed already, I would do. (I'm such an evil, greedy fucking bastard...)
    But I guess the rules that apply to a company with 5 employees doesn't work if you put two or three zeros after the 5.
    Quint- Boat Captain

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "

Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:12 AM
    Liked 4,812 Times in 2,456 Posts

Premium Member

Gabby seems to forget that all people regardless if they are liberal or conser....bible thumping, racist pigs have one goal in life. To acquire as much wealth as possible in order to make themselves comfortable.

What would happen if the government said "no more income tax" for one quarter? You would see an increase in your pay around 33%. What would you do with that money? Some would save, some would pay off bills and others would shop. They would eat out which increases demand at various diners. Waitresses, cooks, managers make more in tips which increases their salary. They either save, pay off bills or spend along with the decrease of their taxes. Other people may save for three months and put a down payment on a new car. This would help the auto industry. The auto industry follows suit and spends money buying other goods and so on and so on.

Now if one is business owner, they want to expand their business because that means more revenue. If you over tax the individual and his personal earnings are lower, he won't have as much disposable income to invest into his or her company. Business owners always want to expand and the more disposable income they have, the easier it is to have the business grow. I am talking small business, not corporations.

However I understand we are living in a period where people want to institute class warfare so logic gets thrown out the window

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    However I understand we are living in a period where people want to institute class warfare so logic gets thrown out the window
    Yep.

One of my employees is a 60 year old guy with Parkinsons who is very anti-Obama/Liberal/Etc. He is not a fan of the way "they want to take my money and give it to people who don't wanna work." HOWEVER, the other day Warren Buffet came up in conversation to which he says " man...he don't need all that money. He could easily share all that he doesn't really need."

I just shook my head. It was then I realized that class warfare is working better that I though it would
    Quint- Boat Captain

Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    Yeah I'm sure China's lovely this time of year.(LOL)
    They have lots of options besides China. One of my clients moved to Costa Rica and took his business with him. Moved his whole family and all his employees that would go.

So, he is making the exact same product, with lower taxes, a lower cost of doing business, and a lower cost of living for himself and his employees.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.