Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Interview

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all, but esp WACF
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says its half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says its so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it. The psychoanalyst says the cup is your mother. The punk sitting next to you also says the cup is your mother. The romance novelist says the cup is a willing receptacle to the wild gushing torrents of pure passion from the hard chiseled urn. The zen master says There is no cup. Pamela Anderson says her cups are definitely full. Me? Refill!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll post it.

Brad Starks. These two very words strike fear - deep, deep into the hearts of wired Van Halen fans everywhere. HA! Just kidding! Brad is well known to the legion of online Van Halen fans as the bandís official webmaster. Over the past four and a half years, Mr. Starks has done his best to keep van-halen.com running smoothly, and to keep fans informed of the bandís status whenever possible. Brad also operates and maintains the Van Halen Pleasure Dome, the bandís official message board, which is currently on ďa little breakĒ along with the band. Letís talk to Brad and see what he has to say about himself, and the band that hired him...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

What was the first album you ever bought (VH or otherwise)?

I bought my first album in 1975 - it was "Tryin' To Get That Feeling" by Barry Manilow. I think it cost $5 at the time. My first VH album to buy was 1984. I already owned Fair Warning and Diver Down because a friend had given them to me.

Oh man, Barry Manilow? Are you sure you wanna say that? You know you're never gonna hear the end of it. LOL

Yeah, I know I'm painting a target on myself with Barry Manilow, but it is true...

If you had to take three albums to a desert island and they had to be non VH.....which ones would you take?

Still Got The Blues - Gary Moore
    Tragic Kingdom - No Doubt
    "The White Album" - The Beatles

Do you play any musical instruments? Are you any good?

Guitar, piano, and a very small amount of bass and drums. I'm average on guitar and piano. I play a lot of classical piano. Drums and bass-wise I'm a hack. Just ask the folks at the last con (VHML Convention) I went to and they were treated to me playing a disco version of Not Enough on the drums.

Where did you get your computer training?

Self-taught, some schooling and a lot of books.

When did you first become interested in VH?

Heavily around 1982 or 83. I had known of them since ' 78 but didn't really get hooked until '82 or '83.

When and why did you decide to cut your hair? Inquiring minds want to know...

HA! About two years ago. It was New Year's of 2000 if I remember right. I just had enough of dealing with it. Gave me a new appreciation of why women spend so much time doing their hair and just what it was like to go through life every day with long-ass hair. I am growing it out again though. It just won't get that long again.

Let's play word association. I'll start: VHML.....

A trip.

What was the progression of events that led you from fan to webmaster?

I was just a dirty-faced kid in a garbage can that was in the right place at the right time. Seriously though, I asked and they said yes.

When did you first meet the band? What was it like?

Surreal to say the least. I met all of them together in December of 1997. Prior to that, I'd met some of them separately on different occasions. I spent about 8 hours at 5150 that day. It was completely mind blowing to be there. That studio has so much history in it's walls.....

What's your most cherished Van Halen piece of memorabilia?

My memories.

You got to go along on the 3 tour (lucky bastard). Tell us about that. Any interesting or funny stories you can share? (although I'm much more interested in the ones you CAN'T share)

I've got three words for you, "Jug Of Illusions."

Seriously though, it was the greatest experience of my life. I'll
    definitely cherish it. The funniest experience I had was probably in Sydney, Australia. A few of us (no band members) went out on the town. The hotel called ahead and told this one place that we would be stopping by. Well, when we got there, there was only a handful of people there, but they just stared at us like crazy. This one girl wouldn't stop staring at me so I finally asked her what the deal was and she asked me if I was the lead singer for VH. She thought for sure I was and was like a deer in headlights. I told her "No, I'm not" and then she finally stopped staring. I told Gary about it afterwards and he said I should have said "Yes!" Too funny.

Being on the set of the "Fire In The Hole" video shoot was pretty fun, too. There are some long hours in shooting a video!

Jug of Illusions? Care to elaborate on that?

The name says it all!

The "monthly stories" that you started doing at the PD were very popular among the fans. Have you ever considered writing a book of your experiences with the band? If you did, what would its title be?

I don't know what I'd write about. But, I bet some of my fans out there would title it "Bullshit!"

Has Mike ever let you drive one of his cars or is it look but don't touch?

No, but I've never asked. They are sweet though!!

What's the funniest fan request you've ever received?

I get a lot of requests for VH to play someone's wedding or to make a personal video greeting for their wedding. Those always crack me up, but they are usually requests from the bride or groom-to-be that wants to give the ultimate present to the person they love when that person happens to be a diehard VH fan. It's actually pretty cool when you think about it.

Does working for Van Halen really help you meet and impress women?

Yeah. But, the girlfriend I've had for the last 1.5 years knows very little about VH. She always gets their names mixed up with their instruments and everything. So, my point is that VH had nothing to do with meeting and impressing her. I did that all by myself.

Now that the band has cut ties with WB, what does this change mean for you? Will it have an impact on your job description?

Not much, really.

Can you say anything about the recent departure of Scotty Ross?

There's nothing to say really. Scotty is best in the business! He'll have no trouble at all lining up a new gig and I have no doubt he'll return.

Have you heard the new stuff Mike and Sammy did? If so, what do you think of it?

Haven't heard any of it....

What are some of your personal interests (hobbies, etc) outside of VH that we don't know about?

I love chess and "Fear Factor" is my favorite show. "Seinfeld" is the greatest comedy series ever written. Kramer was and is, my favorite character - he was such a fuckin' spaz! I'm also a huge boxing fan.

In your later years in life, surrounded by your grandchildren, what story would you tell them about your experience with Van Halen that would provide them insight into the meaning of life?

Ya can't crow before you're outta the woods, but there's exceptions to the rule.

What would you like your legacy in life to be?

That I lived life my way, and to the fullest.

Would you encourage your children to grow up and be mega rock stars? Webmasters for mega rock stars?

I would support anything they wanted to do in life.

How is running an official site different from running a fan based site?

Well, you can't just put up anything you want. It's not really your site. It's the band's or whoever it is that you're doing the site for. You have to put up what they want, how they want, etc. Which is how it should be. On the flip side, it does give you a lot of clout in many different areas.

Does the band really ever read the stuff on the message boards? If so, have they made any comments you can tell us about?

They've seen some of it. They've even gotten a kick out of some of it. In addition, some of it has given some insight into what their fans are about.

Which type of Van Halen fan do you prefer? Dave or Gravers? Sammy Fans? Gary Fans? Sheep? Sheep Shearers? or Common Household Fans?

We all have something in common, that's what matters most - Van Halen, baby!

Brad
    The Official Van Halen Web Site
    www.van-halen.com
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

slow pitch softball!
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,544 Times in 4,918 Posts

Barry Manilow????? Jesus, that is just sad. I don't care how old he was.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this a real interview or a made up as a joke one?
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Can\'t pick just one.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brad is a tool.Of the band that is.
    Are we going to have to wait for Wolfie to start his own band before we get another Van Halen CD?

Test5150
    Originally posted by Mean_Street:
    Is this a real interview or a made up as a joke one?
    LOL....no, it's real.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok, but i didnt know he was a barry manilow fan, lol

Test5150
    Originally posted by Mean_Street:
    ok, but i didnt know he was a barry manilow fan, lol
    Dude, trust me, I was just as shocked as anyone. LMAO [img]smile.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

have they made any recently?
    Favorite VH Song

still waiting
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I liked how he said that he thinks Scotty Ross will be back.
    Its gonna happen folks, just wait till Eddie is ready.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what do you think his favorite barry song is? Copacabana? [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Indicating Scotty will return is a good thing!! Hopefully Dave will be back too!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Brad!

I needed a new hilarious quote in my signature
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nah, i like this one, in reference to running the official site:

"On the flip side, it does give you a lot of clout in many different areas."

i can only imagine...

[ March 06, 2002 at 07:36 PM: Message edited by: twonabomber ]</p>
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.15.09 @ 04:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Chelle,
    Been monitoring for a couple of years now, here, DLRArmy, and PD. Don't usually write much. I've always thought you were great, a true fan... In fact most of the shit people give you on the boards is just that. But damn girl! We've all been strung along for a while. For sure you coordinated the interview with Brad prior to print, but all softballs?! He wouldn't even let you ask a moderately difficult question? (The one on Scotty was easily dodged, as we saw). We all know that Brad is an employee and therefore limited, but some direct opinion questions could've quenched some of the thirst from us fellow fans. Your a PD mod, he could've allowed you a little lattitude! Before I go on, Chelle, I don't want to slam you because like I said before (in different words), I do think you're the shit. But I'm afraid the softball interview just added another layer of frustration rather than "quenching" our thirst for even the slightest bit of promising info. (Yeah, I know they're not breaking up... as reported by VHND. And yeah, I'm sure you know I'm talking about prospects with Dave). Anyway, love ya... but would love to have you pick our side when conducting an interview with anyone in the know. If Brad's not gonna give you any lattitude in an interview, then fuck him. Do an interview with Hitch so we'll at least be entertained, and will expect nothing more (His trolling is great!. By the way, any info on when the Dome is gonna reopen? That would've been a good question. And no bullshit "when they're ready" answers from Brad. Don't let him off that easy. An explanation for the down time shouldn't be too hard to provide. Well, enough of being a critic. I do enjoy reading your posts, and like your sense of humor. Your by far the best mod at the PD, and anyone who flames me for that statement can fuck off. Oh yeah, one more thing...Ford, get a job